Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I GO FISHING -OR- WHO WILL ROW THE BOAT?
May 23, 2004
JESUS SENT HIS DISCIPLES INTO GALILEE TO AWAIT INSTRUCTIONS - TIRED OF WAITING, LEADERSHIP VACUUM
- It was Simon Peter, their leader, who said I Go Fishing- and look what he started - watch out
- This chapter sparkles with gems of rare beauty- human and alive, personal to all who see it
- We are so prone to forget the Lord's calling & fish for pleasure & forget HIS calling - some forget his calling and guidance & return to carnal ways- Time to FISH OR CUT BAIT!
I. FLESHLY TEMPTATION "LET'S GO FISHING" V.3
This passage as much as any shows the Apostles to be plain ordinary men- just like us!
A. JESUS' CALL TO SIMON PETER WAS THAT HE SHOULD BE A FISHER OF MEN - See Matt 4:19
- As Peter was working for his living -recreation for some- Jesus met & called him to duty!
- He had met Jesus- John 1:40, and knew of him from John the Baptist & his brother Andrew
- Peter had followed Jesus- did the best he could -but now Jesus was gone, new time for change.
B. THE PROPOSAL OF JOHN 21:3 WAS TO RETURN TO THE LIFE OF FISHING - REVERSE THE CALL OF GOD
- Greek Verb Tense- "I go back to fishing"- former life and vocation- after 3 great years??
- I have had the joy of walking with the lord some 60 years- several JOBS, one vocation- following JESUS!
C. WHEN THE 1ST ONE DESERTED- THEY ALL RAN! WHEN ONE JOINED THE OLD WAY- THEY ALL DID- PEER PRESSURE
- When they said "We also go with thee" - John 21:3b - they followed the flesh, wrong thoughts
- What would have been the difference had one said-"As for me & my house"- & obeyed Jesus?
In the moment of our weakness we often drift out to sea & catch nothing. What would you do?
II. THE LORD MADE HIS APPEARANCE - 21:7
Each one was touched differently- God has personal leadership for each one of you - BAPTISTS
A. IT WAS THE YOUNG JOHN, THE BELOVED, WITH A KEEN SPIRITUAL VISION, EAGLE EYE- SAW THE LORD
- The disciple Jesus loved (any around here) in fog of discouragement, disobedience- he looked
- After v. 5,6 they all should have known-but depression dims eyes, sulking, guilty-No vision
B. IT WAS PETER WHO DOVE INTO THE SEA AND SWAM ASHORE , EMOTIONAL ENOUGH TO TAKE QUICK ACTION
- What he lacked in insight, wisdom & faithfulness- he made up with boldness, lion-quick action
- Some say he was reckless, selfish, deserted his comrade, & in emotional flash-swam ashore
- Maybe his quick action inspired the others-that they too should get ashore- so they did!
C. NOTE - IT WAS THE OTHER DISCIPLES WHO ROWED THE BOAT ASHORE, CAUGHT A NET FULL OF FISH - Work!!
- No matter how spiritual, idealistic you might be-someone has to do the hard routine work!
- No matter how far the Eagle sees, or the Lion swims- someone has to stay by the work-& do it
- The practical ability , mobility in getting the job done- thank God for ordinary laborers-
A lot of ways to seek success- but KNOW YOUR WORK, & DO IT FOR THE GLORY OF GOD!
III. JESUS SAID "COME & DINE" John 21:12
Our God is very practical- His love is not mystical- Be faithful & He will nourish you- TRUTH!
A. JESUS MET THEIR NEEDS -v.6 told them-"CAST NET ON RIGHT SIDE" - Repetition of Luke 5:4
- Jesus had helped them before- I'm surprised at His graciousness, to them & us- Count Blessings
- If they were going to fish- He still had a blessing! Even helped them physically - Left handed
- When they obeyed- net full- v.11, Even Simon Peter helped pull the net ashore- Everyone works
B. JESUS SAID TO THEM "COME AND DINE" AND NONE OF THEM DARED ASK QUESTIONS v.12 - timing cooking
- They really deserved discipline- but he made them breakfast - God has provision for all of us
- As we gather in Church, S.S. AWANA, Wed- He provides spiritual nourishment- feast on His Word
C. BUT STILL SOME ARGUE A BIT OVER TRYING TO RUN OTHER MEN'S BUSINESS - Peter & John- John 21:21-2
- Jesus secured Peters Confession of Love- Peter showed his old nature- bossy- v.20
- The Lord's reply tried to show Peter who is the boss- Peter misunderstood- v.23, John knew
- Our churches run in grave danger- we try to run each other's lives- Let the Lord lead YOU
I urge you- seek God's call for your life- vision, action, hard work- Follow Jesus! You have elected your officers - Boards choose chairmen - follow your leaders, vision & work. I believe we are heading for some hard times - stay close to the Lord, obey His word
JESUS HAS PROMISED TO MEET US - WE ARE IN OUR LONELY GALILEE EXPERIENCE- WAIT PATIENTLY FOR HIM
- Even if you have no Senior Shepherd - stick together follow the leadership YOU selected
- If YOU don't know Jesus- open your heart to Him- Be sensitive to His call personally
- Not all of you can be first to SEE JESUS, NOR CAN SOME OF YOU SWIM - BUT YOU CAN ROW