Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE WILL OF GOD FOR EACH MAN
Jan 18, 1970 pm
JESUS DID NOT FOLLOW HIS OWN WILL, BUT BEING FOUND AS A MAN HE BECAME OBEDIENT TO GOD
- In the first year of His ministry, Jesus headed north - January, baptized -April, to Jerusalem - December, north
- "He must needs go though Samaria" -v.4 shows an unusual compulsion, but no reason or motive
- Here in the chapter of the Great Soulwinner- Jesus shows us the will of God for every man-
And we are rapidly coming to a time when the harvest will be OVER, not white!
OUR PURPOSE v.34
We need to choose a real goal, purpose for our lives, and we can well study the life of Jesus
MY "MEAT" - A CONTRAST IN THE PHSYCAL AND SPIRITUAL NEEDS, WHAT NOURISHES US?
- Physical meat is not enough- we have plenty, and the world is bored - turning to sin for purpose
- Christ did not just exist - He chose His purpose, what He would give His life for, and declared it
- Most of us at times during our lives choose a project- why not choose this purpose for 1970?
"TO DO THE WILL OF HIM THAT SENT ME," THE KING OF ALL GLORY TALKS ABOUT RESPONSIBILITY - YOU TOO!
- Our God has a purpose, a reason for existence for everything- He has a reason for you!
- To run contrary to that great purpose is to fail your reason for existence - FALIURE = Death.
- To find this purpose, and to give yourself to it, will mean a life of satisfaction and fulfillment
"AND TO FINISH HIS WORK." GOD'S WORK IS NOT FINISHED, AND WE EACH HAVE A PART TO PLAY IN IT!
- From the beginning of creation - God has worked to bring His world through to glory - help Him.
- God wants a people who are redeemed, who can stand His Glory - not ruin Heaven - share joy.
- The only way that a person can be made able to share Heaven is if that person is saved!
The work of God is to harvest souls, and the greatest job in history is to help Him.
OUR WORK v.35-38
- Jesus had accomplished the winning of the Samaritan woman, now He instructs His Disciples
NOW IS THE TIME FOR THE HARVEST OF SOULS v.35
- Jesus used the difference between harvest of wheat - "yet four months" - and of souls "look"-.
- The woman He had saved had rushed back into the city - v.29, and many were on their way - v.39
- The disciples were worried about food - but who will harvest the souls? Do not tarry!
THERE IS THE TIME TO SOW, AND THE TIME TO REAP, BUT NOW IS TIME TO GATHER FRUIT! v.36-
- Just as many people flock into the fields to harvest grain - we need flock to harvest souls
- Our purpose of life after we are saved is to contribute to that harvest- everyone helps or hinders
- The wages for laboring in God's field is "fruit unto life eternal" - more enjoyment of Heaven
MANY LABORERS ARE NEEDED TO ACCOPLISH WHAT GOD WANTS DONE TODAY v.37-38
- So often we all want the same job- preacher, foreman, disciples argued over who was greatest --
- There is work enough for everyone to do - pick a part of the field and start harvesting!
- But some of you are just standing over by the fence criticizing - get out into the field and do some work!
Many people who will not train or discipline to play are "drugstore quarterbacks" -
OUR METHOD v.39-41
- If we would be open with the word of God- all our instructions are given in God's Word
WE MUST TELL OTHERS ABOUT JESUS (39) AND THERE IS NO SET WAY - JUST START TELLING!
- We are not a lawyer to argue the case; nor teacher to instruct; but a witness - tell what happened
- This involves a confession of sin- v.29b, but also of the remedy of that sin - Salvation!
- The Holy Spirit can use your witness - it can be given in hundreds of ways - tell about Jesus
WE MUST GET OTHERS TO COME TO JESUS (40) WHEREVER THERE IS EXCITEMENT, PEOPLE WILL COME
- The woman just kept on telling the story - running from one to the other- till they came
- When they came- Jesus stayed to minister to them- have you ever asked Jesus to tarry to minister?
- Some will believe from your testimony - others will just come to see what is happening -
SOME PEOPLE WILL NOT BELIEVE UNTIL THEY HEAR JESUS THEMSELVES - v.41-42
- A person is not really complete until they learn to see Jesus for themselves - personally
- The soulwinner must bring people all the way through to Jesus -v.42- unselfishly-
- Now the one who has been won is out telling that they too now believe - circle complete!
The fields of Phoenix are white indeed unto harvest - will you be a soulwinner?
GOD NEEDS PEOPLE WHO WILL HELP HIM FINISH HIS WORK - BRING MANY SONS INTO GLORY
- Every contact you have is a potential Samaritan woman for you - do not fail
- There are hundreds of ways - tracts, testimony, even a smile - don't argue which one and miss all
- There can be no canned programs- but the best way is the natural way- start witnessing
How many will you witness to this year -- How many will you win?