Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
RAIN OR SHINE WITH JONAH
Oct 3, 1971 am
THE BOOK OF JONAH IS THE TOUCHSTONE TO MANY A MAN'S FAITH IN THE INSPIRED WORD OF GOD
- We can argue its historicity and miracle of the whale - and miss a deep, wonderful message.
- Too many today may talk with the prejudice of Jonah, but lack his honesty, and so be lost always.
- This book more than any other Old Testament work cries out the message of the Gospel for all -
- Across national, racial, cultural, and social lines - Salvation offered to all!
WITH JONAH IN THE STORM - JONAH 1 & 2
Many who do not believe in Jonah spend a lot of time travelling with him - and sharing his storms.
JONAH HAD A GREAT CHANCE FOR GLORY, A GREAT CALL TO PREACH IN THE GREATEST CITY OF THE AGE
- Jonah lived near Nazareth - at a time of great prosperity and national pride - and some peace.
- God called him to go to the greatest city in the world - university, library - and preach to it.
- The leaders - Assurbanipal, Tiglath-Pileser, Sennacherib - very cruel, bloodthirsty - killed thousands.
JONAH REFUSED TO OBEY GOD, RAN INSTEAD THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION, AND RAN INTO A STORM AND A WHALE
- Why did he run? Fear of Nineveh? Prejudice against them? Or hatred? - a Jew to save Hitler?
- When he thought he had escaped - (asleep in the bottom of a ship), God sent a storm - crew knew it was not natural.
- The seamen were driven to prayer - and their captain wanted every man helping - v.6
BUT JONAH HAD TO GO ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM BEFORE HE WOULD REPENT AND OBEY GOD!
- The blame was found by casting lots - (we now have the mind of Christ) - and they asked Jonah what to do.
- The crew tried as hard as they could, but finally tossed Jonah overboard.
- Don't argue about the whale - Feb, 1891, a James Bartley of "Star of the East" shared Jonah's ride and lived.
If you join with Jonah in rebellion against God- you will share his storm and couch one way or another.
WITH JONAH IN THE REVIVAL - JONAH 2 & 3
We can choose to toss ourselves into God's arms of mercy- or circumstances will do it for us!
IN SPITE OF ALL HE COULD DO, JONAH BECAME THE CENTER OF A GREAT REVIVAL BLESSING
- The seamen were already converted - for after the storm quit, they gave blood sacrifice and vowed - 16.
- The real miracle was not Jonah in the whale, but the change inside Jonah - he started praying - ch.2.
- In this beautiful prayer - Jonah prayed, faced honestly, judged himself, repented, promised, preached.
JONAH CAME FORTH FROM THE WHALE PREACHING THE MESSAGE OF GOD
- In the whale he preached to himself - 2:9c "Salvation is of Jesus" - LORD is Jehovah, Joshua, Jesus
- Jonah then took the 500 mile trip across the desert and preached to Nineveh - 3:3,4
- But like many today - he preached only half of the message - 3:4b only of judgement, no salvation.
NINEVEH WAS SAVED, NO MATTER WHAT JONAH WANTED OR INTENDED, GOD'S GRACE IS STILL POWERFUL
- It was not Jonah's desire - but the amazing grace of God worked a miracle (today's Jesus people).
- The people and king heard, believed, took action, sacrificed, fasted, and prayed - to God, not LORD!
- Maybe it was shallow, maybe they did not stay with it, maybe they missed doctrine - LORD -
- But God spared their lives! They had another chance; it was not God's fault they gospel hardened. Nahum -
WITH JONAH IN THE SUNSHINE - 3,4
Some Christians are unhappy in the warmth of God's sunshine - no refrigeration in church!
AFTER GOD SPARED THE CITY, JONAH RETIRED TO A HILL TO SIT AND GRIPE - AND SEE IF IT WOULD LAST!
- He knew God had spared the city - and he did not like it! V.2, he showed his prejudice and hate.
- Men always stumble after victory or revival - Elijah and others- but this is ridiculous! V.3
- God asked him a question - but like the elder son, he walked away grumbling, awaiting failure -
BUT GOD HAD A MESSAGE FOR JONAH, AND HE TAUGHT IT TO HIM WITH THREE MORE PREPARED - GOURD, WORM, WIND
- God gave him a castor bean for shade- he could at least be more comfortable in shadow - gripe.
- Then the object lesson - a worm (Jonah), then judgment in a scorcher wind - killed the vine - and woe.
- Under this discipline Jonah was asked the question again - over loss of a plant! 8b, 9, and WHAP!
JONAH'S HEART WAS SHAKEN, THE SHARP PROBE OF GOD'S ILLUSTRATION CHANGED HIS LIFE! YOU, TOO!
- If Jonah wrote this - it proves that his life was changed - and he openheartedly records truth.
- If Jonah could have had pity on a lowly gourd vine - then why could not God have pity on Nineveh?
- If you agree that Nineveh should be saved - 120,000 children - what of Phoenix? Same size...
Jonah went over 500 miles on foot - can you phone, walk, drive - and share His sunshine?
TODAY MUCH EVANGELISM IS STOPPED BY PREJUDICE AND HATE, JUST LIKE IN O.T. DAYS! CHANGE IT!
- Will you accept the message of Jonah - 2:9b - and before you have a terrible experience, be saved?
- Will you accept the call - 1:2, 3:2 - and do what you can to tell the gospel of God's grace?
- Will you stay in the city and try to win others to Christ? Or retreat into your favorite gripes?
What you do is up to you - but don't mock Jonah if you are walking his pathway.