Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
A GENERATION WHICH KNOWS NOT THE LORD
Apr. 9, 1967
THIS BOOK SHOWS GOD'S PERPETUAL CONFLICT WITH SIN, THE DETERIORATION OF A NATION
The nation of Israel has been exalted by God and given a great possession, but she forgets God
There are 7 Apostasies, Servitudes, Conquerors, and Deliverances- and God still in control
The keyword is "Forsook" 2:12; Key verses- 16:6, 21:25- with warning as a message- HOPE-
God will hear us when we become desperate enough to cry out to Him- for His deliverance!
I: "THERE AROSE ANOTHER GENERATION WHICH KNEW NOT THE LORD- THEIR HEARTS GREW COLD"
There is a great parallel between Israel here, and all the nations that have fallen- U.S. included.
A. "THE PEOPLE SERVED THE LORD ALL THE DAYS OF JOSHUA" - 2: 7
- There is a real joy in serving the Lord- normal duties of life are thrilling if you love Him-
- These people could remember God's great deliverance- and now He gave him freedom, & Salvation
- Thank God for leadership that knows and follows the Lord- that knows what they are saved from.
B. "THERE AROSE ANOTHER GENERATION AFTER THEM, WHICH KNEW NOT THE LORD, NOR HIS WORKS" 2:10
- Some would have said- God is dead- He must be, He has not done anything for us recently.
- Some would say- we cannot know God- there is so much to argue about in theology- can't see Him
- Some would not even know there is an argument- just too busy serving self to even notice-
C. "NOR HIS WORKS WHICH HE HAD DONE FOR ISRAEL" 2:10b
- Once a person loses sight of God, soon He fails to see God's work- faith as followed- works
- We have forces deliberately rewriting our history to hide what God has done for us- communism-
- Natural sins also try to make us forget God- prostituting every business for money and pleasure.
Instead of obeying God, soon everyone is following Judges 17:6 and 21:25- right in his own eyes
II: "AND THEY FORSOOK THE LORD GOD OF THEIR FATHERS" Their hearts turned away, & hands turned to sin.
The slide into sin described in Romans 1:21 ff. is more rapid everyday- time rushes on
A. "THEY FORSOOK THE LORD" God never forsakes His own, but His own creation forgets and forsakes Him
- They no longer retained God in their thoughts, meditations,- no prayer, devotion, service-
- I see a generation that has forgotten God- not just teens- but Producing Adults don't know God
- The teens from these adults- crime rate up 400%- and even worse- they revel in it- what next.
B. "THEY SERVE BAAL" 2:13b Baal- Lord- meaning "Master" The Sun God- war- destruction- fertility
- Served- they exchanged the freedom given to them from God, to become slaves, addicts
- In the Bible this involved "High Places," "Groves", first entertainment- Pride- then lust-
- Later their priests were official murderers of little children- in the fire- 2 Kings 16:3, 21:2,3
C. "AND ASHTAROTH" 2:13c Astarte, Diana, the Moon Goddess- War, the Hunt, but mostly sex.
- Real love, joy, beauty, depth of life- were traded for thrills, adventure, sex lust, orgy
- America does not hide behind worship but her actions are rapidly becoming do the same place-
- Some chapters of Judges are too terrible to tell you about- wild lust, murder, suicide, dissection
Some collegians think perversion was just invented- this was 1400 BC – it led to slavery!
III. "AND THE ANGER OF THE LORD WAS HOT AGAINST ISRAEL"- when they turned to sin- God fought against them
2:14 the just always lived by faith, and those without faith always find God against them- conflict
A. "THE ANGER OF THE LORD WAS HOT" God is not mocked, a nation's prosperity depends on Godliness-
- "The wages of sin is death" Rom 6:23, the elders had seen quick justice, Civilization- slower
- I Cor 8:3 "If a man love God it is known" II John 1:15- "If any man love the World-"
- God's hand is longsuffering- but when His anger waxes hot- He makes it hot for the man- nation
B. "AND HE DELIVERED THEM INTO THE HANDS OF SPOILERS" When God withdrew his protection- punishment
- Israel was spoiled- captured, enslaved, ruined,- then she repented and God sent a Judge- Save.
- This happened through seven cycles during the book of Judges- she never learned- but have we?
- We are being spoiled (GNP gold lost overseas), our youth spoiled- ruined- demoralized-
C. "NEVERTHELESS THE LORD RAISED UP JUDGES WHICH DELIVERED THEM" 2:16 many died, but nation survived
- When they heard enough to turn back to God and cry out for Salvation- God sent them help
- But we have been de-sensitized- unshockable, unrepentant, no blush, don't feel the hurt-
- We have many Preachers, few Prophets; Many politicians, few statesman, NO DELIVERERS-
No judges that can get through the Bar Association and Press to stand for RIGHT -not rights!
BUT GOD IS SEEKING THOSE WHO GRIEVE ENOUGH FOR THE AFFLICTION OF THEIR LAND TO REPENT!
Though National Salvation is not earned- yet God saves the souls of those who turn to Him!
During the blackest of times- those who would live by faith shine brightest- but will you?
Will you follow the key verse of Judges- do what is right in your own eyes- for your pleasure?
Or will you seek to do that which is the will of God, and be where God can bless you! -
--SEEK GOD'S WILL: CONFESS CHRIST, OBEY HIM, GET BAPTIZED, CHURCH MEMBERSHIP, SERVICE