Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
IT IS GOOD FOR A MAN TO HOPE AND WAIT
Jun 29, 1969
IN THE MIDST OF LAMENTATION THERE SHINES THE BRIGHT JEWEL OF HOPE
- It is true that a small light shines bright in total darkness, but this is no small light
- God has warned of the storm of His Judgment- Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jeremiah - now today!
- But in the blackest of the stormy nights of judgement- there shines the ray of HOPE -
It is helpful to know this before the night comes- that this light of Hope is in God's Mercy
I. IT IS OF THE LORD'S MERCIES THAT WE ARE NOT CONSUMED - Lam 3:22a
Accident and tragedy are not always punishment or judgement- but sometimes they are!
A. AS A NATION THE SINS OF ISRAEL AND OF AMERICA EARNED GREAT JUDGMENT, FOR THE SINS ARE GREAT!
- Israel had to work hard to sin away God's loving favor - and great effort to rip purity from US
- With the greatest of God's blessings, our nation has worked hard to destroy the mention of God
- Relativism, positives, and secularism have stolen our minds and has backfired - 5/10/69
B. WE ARE NO LESS SINNERS THAN THOSE WHO HAVE PERISHED Luke 13:2,4, CONTRAST UKRAINE, KOREA, SOUTH VIET NAM
- Quick death does come- war veteran in Denver - pick up garbage -blow up! Sudden death-Deserved?
- Jeremiah saw king blinded, sons killed; Enough near tragedy to warn us - (Elizabeth almost hung in her crib)
- We all hang on the edge- atomic war, bacteria, poison, pill, natural calamity, personal accident-??
C. IT IS OF GOD'S MERCIES THAT WE ARE NOT ALREADY CONSUMED, BECAUSE HIS COMPASSIONS FAIL NOT 3:22
- V.13 He caused His arrow to enter my heart- v.21 but I recall one ray of hope - just one ray!
- "His compassions fail not"- even in the midst of judgment, accident, & death- God is love!
- V.23 "Great is Thy faithfulness" We may let God down, but He has never failed in His faithfulness
God is still in heaven no matter what happens; He still controls and can turn all to victory
II. IT IS GOOD TO HOPE AND QUIETLY WAIT FOR SALVATION OF LORD v.26
What is good for us is not always what we would choose- because our values are mixed up
A. IT IS GOOD FOR A MAN TO LIVE IN HOPE - LIVING LETTERS - Lam 3:26a
- Hope is one of the three greatest words in New Testament - I Cor 13:13 - Faith, hope, and love
- Lit. complains- man always is to be, but never quite is, blessed; but hope gives an anchor
- We have a hope realized- Tit 1:2 and blessed hope soon to come- Tit 2:13-more real than relativism, positivism or secularism
B. BUT WE MUST WAIT QUIETLY, PATIENTLY, FOR THE SALVATION OF THE LORD. Lam 3:26b
- Our problem is our lack of patience, lack of faithfulness in waiting - we want it all NOW
- The real test of a Christian is in his patient faithfulness in quiet waiting - what is your score?
- II Thess 3:5- the prayer that the Lord direct your hearts in patient waiting-
C. IT IS GOOD THAT A MAN BEAR THE YOKE OF HIS YOUTH Lam 3:27 "YOUNG MAN UNDER DISCIPLINE" LIVING LETTERS
- The particular sin of youth is impatience - they want their fortune NOW- Prodigals first sin
- If we cannot bear the yoke of prosperity and be faithful with our tithe - how bear famine?
- If we cannot survive faithfully with help of Godly church friends- how when alone in the world?
What would be good for our souls would be a little hardship and discipline- but we run!
III. LET US SEARCH AND TRY OUR WAYS AND TURN AGAIN TO THE LORD! v.40
If we are going to claim that ray of light, and lay hold on the mercies of God- grab quick
A. GOD DOES NOT WILLINGLY AFFLICT NOR GRIEVE THE CHILDREN OF MEN - Lam 3:33 - THEN WHY DO IT?
- Men have crushed prisoners- 34, turned away a man's right to God - 35, subverted causes -36
- God has to act against the inhumanity of man to man- violation of moral & natural law-
- If we refuse the lighthouse of hope, the judgment of rocks and storm will rip our souls out.
B. SO LET US SEARCH AND TRY OUR WAYS AND TURN AGAIN TO THE LORD v.40
- We need to stop blaming others, though they might be at fault - Hollywood, alcohol, etc. not wine- But I have enough fault and sin I can ill-excuse myself.
- I can't help everyone, but can find deliverance for my own soul.
- Psa 103:17,18 there is plenty of mercy with God if we but turn to Him - will you turn to Him?
C. "THE LORD IS MY PORTION" - LIVING LETTERS - "MY SOUL CLAIMS THE LORD" Lam 3:24- THE KEY TO ALL!
- I am no better, nor worse, than any other man- but my only hope rests in my soul's claim -- Lord.
- Science cannot explain it- but psychology has to admit the results are good- I accepted Christ!
- My hang-ups on sin, guilt, and fear are gone! I have salvation in Jesus Christ- His work on the Cross
Therefore I will Hope in Him- no matter what I face - life, death, catastrophe, - In His Hands
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN YOUR HOUR OF CHRIST? IT IS DETERMINED BY WHAT YOU DO WITH CHRIST NOW
- Will you accept Christ as your Saviour? Declare your soul's hope to be in Him? Many did
- Will you as a Christian center your life in faithfulness while waiting blessed hope?
- God will give you abundant evidences of His control & mercy--- IF you will let Him.