Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THREE WAYS TO BE LOST
Mar 8, 1970 am
THE PHARISEES CONDEMNED JESUS FOR BEING WITH SINNERS; HERE HE DEFENDS HIS INVOLVEMENT
- This most touching chapter of the Bible shows why Jesus healed on Sabbath, and helped sinners
- The world, and Pharisees, casts out the sinner, but takes up and revels in sin- socially acceptable
- Jesus in this passage shows three kinds of sin, and how God deals with the sinner -
This passage ought to touch our hearts to the right kind of involvement with God-
LOST BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE - THE SHEEP Luke 15:3-7
This story asked the Pharisees which of them would not sympathetically search for the sheep
WHY WAS THE SHEEP LOST? THE DUMB THING JUST DID NOT KNOW ANY BETTER
- The reason is simple- "just because" - this is what sheep naturally do at any opportunity
- Isa 53:6 "All we like sheep" - this is also the natural state of every man- naturally lost!
- Note that it was a sheep that went astray- not a lamb! Youth concerns us- but adults condemn us
HOW WAS THE SHEEP FOUND? BY THE SHEPHERD GOING OUT AND SEEKING IT! GOD'S SEEKING LOVE! v.4b
- Matt 18:11 tells us that the Lord came to seek and to save the lost! Where is He now?
- God is looking for some good shepherds today! Maybe some good sheep dogs, too! Will you help?
- The sheep must be sought- he will not come; sought in wilderness- running away, hiding, kicking
A SHEEP THAT IS NOT FOUND PERISHES, BUT THIS ONE HERE HAS A HAPPY ENDING- v. 5-7
- There is no anger, no beating the sheep, no cursing it for the shepherd's discomfort - our shame
- The shepherd called everyone - to rejoice! If you cannot rejoice, or help hunt- you are wicked
- There is joy in heaven over one sinner who repents - would you help make heaven happy?
If you are a lost sheep - let me point you to Jesus; if you are saved, who have you sought?
LOST BECAUSE OF CARELESSNESS - THE COIN Luke 15:8-10
Here the attention is focused on the search, the hard, dirty, clean up to search-
WHY WAS THE COIN LOST? IT WAS A VICTIM OF GRAVITY AND CARELESSNESS, NO FAULT OF ITS OWN
- Some would call it an accident- but accidents are caused by carelessness- some take work
- The world, flesh, devil, all pull against souls, and we are as helpless as the hard coin
- This coin- one of 10, was very precious! Her wedding coins- necklace- found before husband returned home.
HOW WAS THE COIN FOUND? AND UNLESS WE TAKE GREAT CARE IN THIS WE MISS OUR COIN.
- She lit a candle- we need the light of God's word full force to chase away darkness
- She swept the dirt- if Christians' houses were not so dirty, more coins would be found today
- She sought diligently till she found it! Soulwinning takes persistence- hard work
THE COIN THAT IS NOT FOUND IS WASTED, BUT THIS ONE IS AGAIN A PART OF THE WOMAN'S PURPOSE
- Don't blame the coin for being lost, blame the careless, lazy housewife - but she got busy
- When it was found- she got excited - took blame for it being lost, sewed it back into her necklace
- Her friends rejoiced with her, the angels in heaven rejoiced, too- we need this joy today.
The coin is incapable of feeling, but you have feeling. Is a soul valuable as a dowry?
LOST BECAUSE OF DELIBERATE WILL - SON Luke 15:11-32
Here the attention is on the restoration- the joyful forgiveness, restoration of sonship.
WHY WAS THIS SON LOST? YOUNG, FOOLISH, REBELLIOUS, DEMANDING A MOMENT'S PLEASURE
- But this was deliberate, willful, rebellious, desertion of a God-provided home for adventure
- The son took what was his- before his time, demanding his rights- right now! Father not happy
- No doubt he had false counsellors, as many today have- not friends- but exploiters!
WHY DID THE SON COME TO HIMSELF? HIS POVERTY, HARDSHIP, HEARTACHE, HUNGER, BROUGHT SORROW!
- Satan wants all that we have, but he has no love, only death and destruction for us!
- Having lost all, this boy had time to reflect v.17. He came to his real self - will changed
- This son repented, even though he was in a hog pen - the other son did not repent at all!
HOW WAS THE SON RECEIVED? JOYFULLY, WITH OPEN ARMS, NOT WITH SPITE, BUT FORGIVENESS!
- He felt he had no rights, came to plead to be as a servant- not demanding, he took first step
- The father did not wait for him to say his canned speech - v.18,19 - forgave and rejoiced!
- But the elder brother is a picture of the Pharisees - then and now! Cold hearted - are you?
There was nothing the father could do until the son changed his will- will you?
WHICH PARABLE FITS YOU? IF YOU ARE LOST, IS IT IGNORANCE, CARELESSNESS, OR DELIBERATE?
- Since you are here, you cannot plead ignorance, or helplessness- come to Jesus now!
- If you are lost, get up and come to God- He will honor your free will, so come NOW
- If you are a Christian, don't be the elder brother, but search and help win the lost!