Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
OCCUPY TIL I COME
May 3, 1987
ONE OF THE MOST FAMILIAR PARABLES * OF THE POUNDS, LATER LIKE IT, BUT TALENTS! LITTLE USED TODAY!
- Near Jericho-way to Jerusalem-Zachaeus-Luke 19:11 -A Parable for a purpose-Postponed Kingdom!
- Later in Olivet Discourse-5 Parables- Matt 25:14 -of the Talents-a man with 3 servants-different
- Generally these are Kingdom Truths,-for Israel- 10 Virgins waiting, Servants serving & the return of the Lord- But Spiritual Truth is the same in any Dispensation- Parables have personal truth.
I.- THE PARABLE OF POUNDS Luke 19:11- AN EARTHLY STORY
The great theme of this story-v.13b "Occupy til I come"- working for an absentee Lord, or King Zacheeus the Publican had just been saved- Jesus was on His way to Jerusalem- soon to die. The crowd wanted to make Him King- but he wanted to prepare them for being left alone.
A. - A NOBLEMAN WENT INTO A FAR COUNTRY-TO RECEIVE A KINGDOM, AND WOULD AT A LATER TIME RETURN!
Historically- Archelaus-Son of Herod the Great- went to Rome to be assigned-Jews built at Jericho
- Gave 10 servants 10 Pounds (not large amount)- Each one with equal amount- but ability? not so! Later parable very different- 3 servants- 5,2,1 Talent (Much money)- a man, not nobleman!
- They were left to their own abilities and ideas-what to do? but "OCCUPY" - Do Business for me!
- V.14 happened -Jews sent to Rome to contest Archelaus' appointment- but He won- & Came back as ruler!
B.- AT THE NOBLEMAN'S RETURN, THE DAY OF RECKONING CAME FOR ALL! MUST HAVE BEEN QUITE A NOBLEMAN!
- The first had gained 10 times- 1,000% interest- was given authority over 10 cities- Great Reward & Responsibility
- Next gained 5 times- 500%, Received 5 cities! NEXT-gained nothing! Where were other 7 servants?
- The enemies that had objected to this King's reign were brought in and slaughtered-v.27 -Ouch!
C.- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TEACH CHURCH DOCTRINE FROM THIS PARABLE! WE ARE SAVED BY FAITH, NOT WORKS!
- There is a difference between the two parables- As Baptists we each are responsible to interpret
- I like the one in Matthew- as part of the reward "-Enter thou into the Joy of my Kingdom!"-
- Both parables teach the responsibility of being faithful in the long absence of the Lord-our Boss
II.- TO NATION ISRAEL - A HEAVENLY MEANING!
Parables were intended to give a very practical truth to those who could figure out its secret.
A.- THE KING LEAVING TO ACCEPT HIS KINGDOM - BUT WHILE HE WAS GONE, HE GAVE OUT SPECIAL GIFTS TO USE
- Jesus would be gone soon from earth! Later the Heavenly Father would make Him King of all!
- While He was gone- His servants were to be working & some would reject his authority!
- Olivet Discourse in Matt- Obvious application to Tribulation- but what of Luke? Enemies slain - not servants.
B. HIS SERVANTS HAVE CERTAINLY BEEN WORKING, 2,000 YEARS! BUT DIFFERANT ABILITIES!
Some Christians work hard, some struggle to be faithful, some just drift along, some barely saved.
C. THERE WILL BE A DAY OF JUDGEMENT! THE LORD IS COMING BACK, AND HIS JUDGEMENT WILL BE FINAL!
- Both parables plainly teach a message of rewards for faithful work! Some feel this keenly!
- Carl Armeding- 1-# is Lords; 2-gain by ability; 3-Servants free; 4.-Strict accounting; 5-Gain is expected from all! 64 Reward to faithful; 7-Penalty for sloth- is loss -I Cor 3:15 -saved!
- "But" v.27a- enemies that reject the King- Unsaved! Outer Darkness, slain- A REAL HELL! But if you say Workers go to heaven & the lazy & slothful condemned to Hell- not Gospel Truth!
III.- MESSAGE FOR TODAY - CHURCH TRUTH!
Message in Bible clear- We do NOTHING for Salvation-Christ did it all on Calvary! Accept Him NOW!
A.- OUR LORD IS IN A FAR PLACE - AT RIGHT HAND OF THE FATHER! WE ARE NOT SERVANTS BUT FRIENDS! -
- We all have the same Gospel- & all are left to figure out our own use of our abilities-
- Gifts- Eph 4:8, Rom 12:6-8; My Gift and Calling,. I Tim 1:12-"Enabled, Faithful, Ministry"- You?
- Plainly- We are NOT servants- John 15:15,16 But FRIENDS! But God expects Fruit! -Friends Love!
B.- WE ARE TO OCCUPY TIL HE COMES: THE VERY IDEA OF BEING FAITHFUL FOR LONG PERIOD FRIGHTENS US!
- We are not taught to be faithful- We play games- Instant success, up & down- argue about everything
- We set unreachable goals! Plan unmanageable schedules! Demand obedience! Solve every problem my way
- How can you handle stress- Know Lord-He loves you! Know self - accept flaws! OBEY THE LORD- Faithful
C.- GOD HOLDS US RESPONSIBLE TO OCCUPY TIL HE COMES! HE MEANS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OCCUPY HIS WORLD!
- Do you Know Jesus Christ as your Savior? Or are you one of His enemies! Choose this day!
- We need teamwork to do the job! Are you a member of the church? Carry your share of work?
- We need FAITHFULNESS above all other abilities! Let NOTHING detract you from His Calling! When the Lord comes back- you will not be judged by me- but by the Lord! Are you ready?
OUR LORD WILL SOON RETURN! HE WILL JUDGE US WITH OUR OWN WORDS! DO YOU HAVE GOOD WORDS FOR HIM???
- In America there are people who are lost! If you have not the Lord- accept Him NOW! Will you?
- Our church has had a great history -but what we are now & our future depends on US NOW! FAITHFUL
- God has given to us each different talents- How well are you using yours? God wants YOU to be faithful with the gifts and talents He has given you, not in what you do not have!