Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Matt 21:1-, Mark 11:1-, John 12:12, R. Luke 19:38
JERUSALEM WELCOMES HER LORD
Mar 22, 1970 am
ALL OVER THE WORLD THIS IS PALM SUNDAY, AND THERE IS A MESSAGE FOR EVERY PERSON. LISTEN.
- Jesus was ready for His triumphal entry- symbolic, typic, prophetic - bright spring day - 29
- Jesus did not come as a conquering king but as a suffering Savior, Prince of Peace - meek
- Jesus had His great moment of glory changed to tears and had to judge the Temple
Today can be the day of His triumphal entry into your heart, or tears and judgement
THE MOMENT OF JOY - TRIUMPHAL ENTRY - LUKE 19:28-40
All the world loves a parade, and here was to come the victory parade of the King of Kings
THERE IS A GREAT MYSTERY ABOUT THE READY SERVICE FOR THE LORD OF A LOWLY DONKEY COLT
- He commanded- Go, find, loose, bring - a real sermon for soul winners and Sunday School Teachers here-
- Mark 11:2 tells us that no man had ever been on the back of this colt - miracle, no rodeo
- But to men- the key- "The Lord hath need of him" - with this I wish I could seek each of you
THE MULTITUDE WERE MOVED TO CRY HOSANNA (MARK 11:9) AND SON OF DAVID, AND KING IN NAME OF LORD
- The disciples cast their cloaks on the colt, others made a carpet of cloaks and palm branches
- Multitudes joined them as they came nearer to Jerusalem- and shouted welcome to their King
- Their cry - Hosanna - (Save Us), Son of David- Psa 118:26- Blessed is the King- in the name of the Lord
THE PHARISEES HAD THEIR INFILTRATORS THERE TO CRITICIZE THE LORD FOR THIS EXPRESSION OF WORSHIP
- The Pharisees knew the meaning of this- and they were not willing to accept Jesus as Lord
- Jealous of His popularity, they demanded that He rebuke His disciples for this spontaneous
- Jesus' reply - If men will not praise God, the rocks will- and the stones of history have!
What will you do today- will you praise Him, or criticize Him? You will do one or the other!
THE MOMENT OF SADNESS - WEEPING - LUKE 19:41-44
As they came nearer- a ledge of rock, turn in trail, and Jerusalem was at their feet in the morning light
JESUS WEPT BECAUSE THIS GREAT CITY MISSED HER OPPORTUNITY OF GLORY - V.42
- Jesus wept over the hardness of the hearts of the leaders, God's city was calloused to Him
- There were great opportunities that belonged to the city- but they could not see them
- The greatest event of all eternity- Salvation- was not seen because the people were blind
JESUS WEPT BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT HIS CITY WOULD FACE A TERRIBLE JUDGEMENT - V. 43-44
- Jesus had often warned the people to repent, or they would perish- now was the last chance-
- God's way of judgement is to withdraw His benevolent protection; hard nature - and men - will do the rest
- The natural calamities and vicious men always stand ready to do His will, in spite of themselves
THERE IS ONLY ONE REASON FOR A PERSON FACING GOD'S JUDGMENT AND WRATH - SAME AS THEN
- The people of the city did not recognize God's visit in their midst - through His Son, Jesus
- Do your eyes recognize spiritual opportunity when God visits you? "Angel Unawares" - Now?
- I pray that the Lord will visit your heart, and that you will be sensitive by faith!
If God tries to let Christ enter your heart now- will you accept, or criticize?
THE MOMENT OF JUDGEMENT - ANGER BY JEWS - LUKE 19:45-48
There is no record of this market in the temple in Old Testament days - but since the captivity
THE CLIMAX OF THE JUDGEMENT - NO MATTER HOW SINCERE, THIS TIME COMES WHEN GOD CAN NO LONGER WAIT!
- Jesus may have been remembered from John 2:15, this time He did not need to make a whip
- Over went the money changer's table, the dove sellers, sheep, oxen, - He drove them from the yard
- There is much misapplication of this - Anti capitalism, anti carrying anything in a church
THE REASON FOR THIS JUDGEMENT WAS MULTIPLIED BY THE EXPLOITATION OF PILGRIMS BY THESE JEWS- V.46
- In original temple- no tool heard on the site- no exploitation, but these were thieves!
- There was a reason for the coins- temple money; the doves and animals, for sacrifice for travelers and pilgrims
- But these robbers were not there to minister, but to exploit spiritual things - some today?
THOSE WHO HAD TO FACE THE LORD AS JUDGE BECAME ANGRY, AND DEEPENED THEIR GUILT - V.47
- The conspiracy - priest, scribe, leader, all seeking to kill Jesus - and they succeeded
- Jesus had disrupted their carnal way of life- He will yours! Do you appreciate it or resent it?
- The only thing that kept them from killing Jesus right then - some people were attentive
The world today would destroy His church- if His people were not more attentive!
WHAT DOES THIS TRIUMPHAL ENTRY MEAN TO YOU, THE TIME WHEN YOU CAN NO LONGER IGNORE JESUS
- If you are a disciple - then obey His Go, Find, Loose, Bring command- bring others to Jesus
- If you are just a passer-by, then hear of the King- and receive Jesus as your Saviour!
- If you are one who has been critical, then repent, draw close to Jesus, seek Him!