Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THIS DO IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME
HISTORY OF COMMUNION
May 7, 1967
THERE ARE GREAT MESSAGES HIDDEN BEHIND THE HISTORY OF THE LORD'S SUPPER
The meaning of the Last Passover can be searched through Old Testament- Jesus changed the Passover to the Lord supper or our communion in feast, Paul to the love feast. Each change had significance for us tonight as we again trace the steps of doctrine.
Turn with me and mark the history of the Lord's supper- and its meaning!
I. THE PASSOVER FEAST WAS INSTITUTED BY GOD
Many rituals, and worship symbols have been initiated by man, but this came from God
A, THE FIRST PASSOVER MARKED THE DELIVERY OF ISRAEL FROM THE DEATH OF FIRST BORN Exo 12:1-18
- In times of real hardship- the perfect lamb slain, blood sprinkled on every door post
- Unleavened bread- they were poor, bitter herbs- symbol of repentance- we read covenant
- It was eaten by each family, in haste- standing- they were ready to escape Egypt
B. THE PASSOVER WAS INSTITUTED AS A CONTINUING ANNUAL FEAST NOT TO BE MISSED Num 9:1-14
- It was to be preceded by a series of rituals - v.3, fast, purification- non unclean to come
- Again- unleavened bread- bitter herbs, they were to eat at all no bones broken-
- A second chance for those who had to miss, cut off those who refused, stranger welcomed
C. THE PASSOVER WAS INSTITUTED FOREVER, NOW THE PLACE TO BE CHOSEN OF GOD * Deut 16:1-8
- From now on the Lord will choose the place- v.2, 5-7, to be a week long national fast time.
- The unleavened bread- of affliction v.3, six day fast, then roast,- at the place- then to tents
- All of this as a continual Remembrance of their deliverance from Egypt- death Angel left out.
As Israel came into the land- the place of sacrifice became Jerusalem
II. THE PASSOVER BECAME AN ANNUAL REVIVAL
In times of apostasy Israel forgot it, and times of revival brought it back
A. THE REVIVAL OF HEZEKIAH WAS FAMOUS FOR ITS PASSOVER FEAST II Chron 30:15-
- The land had been in a backslidden condition for some time- a return to Word--- Passover
- They assembled at Jerusalem v.13, the course and plans were elaborate, yet many camped-
- A time of reading of scripture, confessing, cleansing, repentance, revival- for seven days
- They kept the feast of the unleavened bread, then the Passover, then an extra 7 days v.23
B. THE FEAST OF THE PASSOVER CONTINUED TO BE A VITAL INFLUENCE TO ALL ISRAEL Luke 2:42-
- It is still kept today; last month the Jews observed their form of it-
- The first Passover that Jesus attended is recorded in Luke 2:42-, not much detail-
C. THE LAST PASSOVER THE LORD PROMISED TO FAST UNTIL WE COULD ALL PARTAKE TOGETHER - Luke 2:16
- He gave changes in the emphasis- the bread, His body; the Cup, His blood
- Things were not perfect- disciples in strife, had to wash feet, Judas with them, betrayal
- But in the sacredness of that time he gave new symbols for our Salvation - eternally
Not the deliverance from physical death from Egypt , but eternal life from the cross
III. THE LAST PASSOVER RECORDS THE LORDS TABLE
Changed the fulfillment of type and symbol -The Lord's table is special
A. THERE WERE PROBLEMS: Corinthians 11:1, 17-34
- They at first, like Passover- ate from house to house - not potluck at church!
- Rivalry, divisions, heresies, segregation by wealth, one drunken, another hungry, not Lord's supper
- I Cor 11:22 was not to eliminate all church suppers- but ground rules for the Lord's supper
B. THE SIMPLE ELEMENTS ARE USED TO BRING BACK OUR REMEMBRANCE OF WHAT THE LORD DID FOR US 23- 26
- The bread symbolized the body of the Lord broken for us- bearing our stripes for our sin
- The cup of grape juice represented the blood of the Lord, shed to seal the New Testament.
- We are to do this in Remembrance of what He did for us until He comes- WEDDING SUPPER!
C. BUT STILL THERE ARE PROBLEMS, HEARTACHES, DANGERS, AND SO A MAN HAS TO EXAMINE HIMSELF 27-31
- A man is to examine himself- bitter herbs- unleavened bread- only Christ is worthy! Are you in him?
- If we partake in ignorance, we can cause ourselves sickness, or death- v.29,30
- Beside a joyful looking forward, there is a fearful looking back- confession, repentance.
We have no reoccurring blood sacrifice- but this is a continual reminder of his blood.
AS WE OBSERVE THE LORD'S SUPPER REJOICE IN WHAT THE LORD HAS DONE FOR US
Let us read our Covenant- as the bitter herbs- confess and repent of sin -
As the deacons come to serve us- the extension of Christ's hands- His body, blood
Let Jesus invite you to the freshness of personal communion with Him