Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE ROAD TO EMMAUS
Apr 5, 1970 am
EASTER IS OVER, THE LORD HAD DISAPPEARED, THE DISCIPLES ARE FRIGHTENED AND SCATTERING
- When confusion and bewilderment hit - we want to follow the pathway of two of the disciples
- After the Feast of the Passover, after Jesus had died on the cross- the disciples scattered
- We also go part way with Jesus; but I hope you happen to meet Jesus as you walk away from Easter
THIS WAS A WALK OF REFLECTION AND RECOLLECTION
It was a pilgrimage of sadness. They had gone to see Jesus made King, but He was crucified
THE DISCIPLES TALKED TOGETHER AS THEY WALKED BACK TOWARD HOME - V.14
- The road back to a normal life is in reality impossible if you have met Jesus, but some try.
- They must have talked about some of the glorious things that they had seen- Jesus and His kindness
- They probably talked more about their great disappointment- Jesus had failed to conquer Rome.
AS THEY WALKED, JESUS HIMSELF DREW NEAR AND WALKED WITH THEM, SHARING THEIR PATH - V.15
- Wherever we discuss Jesus, He is always near - Matt 18:20, "Where two or three are gathered in My Name" - Believe it?
- He asked them why they were so sad - v.17 - Jesus is always concerned when we are sad.
- The disciples could not understand why He did not know, but God wants us to tell Him all!
"THEY KNEW NOT JESUS" - V.16 - A STRANGE, SAD THING, THEY DID NOT KNOW HIM
- They were so busy with their depressed thoughts - minds made up, strong in opinion - blinded!
- Unfortunately we do not recognize His presence - if we did, much of life would be different
- They described what they thought to Jesus - v.19-24, God listens patiently to our views-
- Sometimes it is our memories that carry us along- it is grand when we remember the good ones
THIS WAS A WALK OF REFRESHING REASONING - RELAXATION
Light and gladness returned as Jesus taught them the meaning of the scriptures
"O FOOLS AND SLOW... TO BELIEVE ALL THAT THE PROPHETS HAVE SPOKEN" - V.25
- Jesus challenged the faith of these two- we certainly need our faith challenged today!
- The Prophets have spoken - 3,000 years ago- and their words are being fulfilled in detail
- We too are senseless (not fools) for we too fail to stand by faith - we run too soon home
"OUGHT NOT CHRIST TO HAVE SUFFERED" - V.16 - "TO ENTER INTO HIS GLORY?" - SUFFERING IS A DOOR TO GLORY
- Isaiah told of a suffering saviour, and a conquering messiah - we are quick to believe half-
- In the practical walk of our lives, we are too quick to look for success- and flee suffering
- Too many Christians are the Christmas and Easter kind, and never come to prayer meeting!
HE EXPOUNDED TO THEM THE SCRIPTURES CONCERNING HIMSELF, MOSES, ALL THE PROPHETS, ETC. - V.27
- The reference to these books of ancient scripture gives the Lord authenticating their word
- In v.44 He authenticates the Psalms too, they tell a lot about Jesus too - read them
- If you would find Jesus, it will have to be through the written Word - read it carefully!
As you walk- live your life- listen to the Word of Jesus - read the scriptures and learn
THIS WAS A WALK THAT ENDED IN RECOGNITION
When we are willing, we find recognition, and reconciliation when we listen to Jesus
HE MADE AS THOUGH HE WOULD HAVE GONE FARTHER - V. 28
- Jesus is not rude; He will not abide with us unless we invite Him - and many have never done it
- Too many people today will walk with Jesus when it is convenient, profitable, and then quit Him
- We need people who will want Jesus to stay with them enough to literally constrain Him
THEY CONSTRAINED HIM - SAYING "ABIDE WITH US" - V. 29
- Too many do not want Jesus near them, and like the people of Gadera - Matt 8:34 "Depart from us"
- It is easy to ask Jesus to die for you - accept Him as Saviour - and then walk away from Him
- But what we need is more people "constraining" Jesus to abide with them - to stay and help
WHEN HE TOOK BREAD, BLESSED IT, BRAKE IT AND GAVE TO THEM THEIR EYES WERE OPENED - V. 30-31
- When the meal time came, Jesus again became the Master - and acted as the Host-
- The likeness to the Communion (had they been there?) startled them, and their eyes opened!
- When they recognized Jesus, He disappeared - vanished - how do you figure this?
Next week- the burning hearts that should have witnessed to them all the way!
WILL YOU WALK WITH JESUS, AND WILL YOU ASK HIM TO ABIDE WITH YOU?
- If you would receive Him as your Saviour - why not come forward at the invitation?
- If you want the power of His abiding presence - maybe it takes more than a little walk!
- Our personal workers are here to help you if you want to come and seek, but they, like Jesus, will not force anything upon you!