Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE WALK TO EMMAUS
Apr. 6, 1969 am
EASTER IS A SPECIAL TIME OF REMBRANCE* A WALK TO EMMAUS, OR A RUN TO JERUSALEM
- For many today- Easter is a time of vacation, trip to mountains, fancy clothes, rabbit eggs-
- But the multitudes miss Jesus, and grumble, or follow only to Calvary, and have sadness
- Won't you listen to Jesus as you walk the Emmaus Road?
No matter why you came, be courteous enough to visit with a stranger; He might change your walk to a joyful run
I. A WALK OF SADNESS AND DESPAIR Luke 24:13-25
Many people only see the gloomy, critical side of life- slow walk of despair and heartache
A. THEY TALKED TOGETHER OF ALL THESE THINGS WHICH HAD HAPPENED v.14 THEIR WORLD DESTROYED
- The dusty mountain trail toward the sea gave each personality a chance to show what was inside
- Maybe one remembered heartaches- from cradle to tomb- rejection, defection, betrayal, no faith
- Maybe other one- the joys- Worship of Kings, People healed, God spoke, lives changed- BUT NOW * COLLAPSE
B. JESUS DREW NEAR AND WENT WITH THEM v.15 AS THEY WALKED, THEY ACCEPTED A STRANGER
- When we talk about Jesus- He is always ready to walk with us- Matt 18:20 see for yourself
- "Why are you so sad?" -mid all the promises of God they lacked the faith to look through to God
- We have many problems today- but if we would just have a little walk with Jesus- what difference
C. THEY KNEW NOT JESUS v.17 IN THEIR LACK OF FAITH, THEY FAILED TO SEE THE HAND OF GOD
- They explained to the stranger what had happened - at least they talked - some today pout! No help then.
- Women say alive v.22,23 men couldn't find Him v.24 Who would believe the women? After Eve?
- They told of Jesus- Prophet mighty in deed v.19, how they had thought Him to be Messiah-21
They had hoped for so much, but their world had collapsed, hopes dashed, now heading home!
II. A WALK OF ENLIGHTENMENT AND HELP Luke 24:25-31
Though they were discouraged, they obeyed common courtesy, & headed home- not insane-drunk, or-
A. "O FOOLS AND SLOW OF HEART TO BELIEVE ALL THAT THE PROPHETS HAVE SPOKEN" Luke 24:25
- Not quite this strong! Rather- thoughtless, weak of faith, dull of learning, not sharp to see
- Jesus challenged their faith - They had trusted their materialistic sight, missed FAITH
- We need to believe ALL that God has said- don't match wits with God, see with God's view
B. "OUGHT NOT CHRIST TO HAVE SUFFERED?" v. 26 THEY HAD MISUNDERSTOOD THE WORD, HE SETS RIGHT
- Isaiah described the suffering of Jesus- but they only saw what they wanted to in Isaiah
- They believed that Jesus was to come to deliver them from Roman tyranny- physical salvation
- Jesus asked them- should not the Messiah obey the prophecies - God's will, not man's plans
C. "HE EXPOUNDED UNTO THEM ALL THE SCRIPTURES THE THINGS CONCERNING HIMSELF" v.27 OPENED SCRIPTURES, EYES, HEARTS
- Opened scriptures- v.27 - showing them how scriptures applied to reality, not theories
- Opened hearts v.29 - they asked, constrained Jesus to abide with them- have YOU asked Him to?
- Opened their eyes v.31 - when He broke bread-(job of the Master) suddenly they KNEW Him!
If you will walk with Jesus a little way, He will change your viewpoint - Eternity
III. A WALK OF GLADNESS AND JOY Luke 24:31-35
What a change - the 6 hour drag to Emmaus and probably a 3 hour race to Jerusalem (uphill)
A. THEY RECEIVED BURNING HEARTS v.32a THEIR HEARTS TOLD THEM THINGS THEIR EYES DID NOT SEE
- Strange how our understanding is helped by a little time- not known at the time, but joy there
- Even a walk of discouragement and despair is Glory when Jesus is with us- see it later?
- The road of faith leads through mountain and valley- the Glory comes later
B. THEY RECEIVED BURNING SCRIPTURES v.32b THE POWER OF THE WORD IS NOT ALWAYS APPARENT AT FIRST
- If the Bible is not alive and burning to you- walk with Jesus and it will be after awhile
- Some things may be hard to understand, not like men explain them, but keep going with Jesus
- No matter how many the disappointments & failures today- Remember that Jesus is in control
C. THEY RECEIVED BURNING FEET AND BURNING LIPS v.33, 35 AND THEY DID NOT MIND THE EXTRA WORK
- Their feet drug downhill toward sea- but they ran back to Jerusalem; when weary, talk to Jesus
- The lips that came down to Prophet-v.19 now shouted "The LORD is Risen!" v.34
- If you doubt the reality of His resurrection- walk with Jesus awhile through scriptures and see.
Your sad walk of despair can be lifted if you will walk with Jesus- then comes meaning
NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE THAT WALK WITH JESUS IF YOU NEED IT!
- If you think Him an absentee landlord of this house- come down and meet Him -Let Him serve breakfast
- If you are discouraged, or cannot see His Glory- claim His promises, and obey- baptism, church membership
- If you have a hard walk ahead don't get discouraged be faithful & rejoice later.