Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
HEARTS THAT BURN UNRECOGNIZED
Apr 12, 1970 am
MANY OF OUR GREATEST ADVENTURES ARE NOT RECOGNIZED UNTIL THE ACTION IS ALL OVER
- The depth of despair threw these two disciples into a lonely pathway- Jesus soon walked with them.
- After Jesus left them, the walk was over- then, and only then, did they remember the Glory
- They ran back to tell of the glory of walking with Jesus, but they did not appreciate the presence of Jesus while they were on the road to Emmaus - Remembered joys are great!
A MYSTERIOUS HEARTWARMING TIME
Their hearts were set on fire, and they did not even recognize it until later- how stupid!
WHO WAS THE MYSTERIOUS STRANGER THAT WALKED WITH THEM, AND LEFT THEM WITH REAL WARMTH?
- They were on the defeat road, quitting, discouraged, gossiping about their complaints- failure
- But a stranger came along and walked with them, ministering to them but unrecognized - v.16
- If Jesus loved these two enough to chase them down- and bless them - Does He love you less?
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO HAVE THE HEART BURN WITHIN? WHAT IS THIS IDIOM THAT IS USED HERE?
- We Baptists want to be sure that we do not surrender to any emotional feeling- excitement-
- Jesus warned about men hiding their light- (Matt 5:15,16) light and warmth being covered up
- God is interested in your heart- (I Sam 16:7) Man looks on outward appearance - God looks on the heart
THE MOST PRECIOUS MOMENTS OF LIFE, THE GREATEST JOYS, ARE OFTEN UNRECOGNIZED AT THE TIME
- (Exod 34:29) Moses came back to his people with his face aglow- but he did not know it!
- Mary saw Jesus- talked with Him- but did not know it (John 20:14) only a second? - but wasted
- We are living in the most exciting time of history- but are too busy griping about the crisis
Our hearts must be warmed - touched by the Lord- or all is in vain - I Cor 13 - without love!
HOW DID JESUS WARM THEIR HEARTS???
If there is some secret, and we can discover it, we can bring life and power into cold hearts
"AS HE TALKED WITH THEM IN THE WAY" V. 32B DID JUST HIS PRESENCE WARM THEIR HEARTS?
- He walked with them, listened to their problems- v.17, and Jesus will listen to you today!
- He scolded them- accused them of being slow of heart to not believe - v.25 - a whipping warm!
- He told them that the way to Glory is through suffering- v.26 - correcting wrong ideas!
"AND WHILE HE OPENED US TO THE SCRIPTURES" V. 32c - THE BIBLE HAS ALWAYS STARTED FIRES IN MEN.
- Jesus began at Moses - went on through the prophets - have you covered the Bible? Again?
- He expounded the scriptures concerning Himself- Search your Bible - mark the Glory passages
- We must have more scripture in our diets if we would have our hearts warmed by Jesus!
BUT THEY DID NOT RECOGNIZE JESUS UNTIL JUST A SPLIT SECOND BEFORE HE DISAPPEARED FROM SIGHT - V.31
- The warming of their hearts was so gradual and slow that they did not feel it - until they remembered
- My wife and I read the Bible through on our knees- early days - hard, terrible days, but thrill afterwards
- In Clifton, I felt failure- but put 5 into the Lord's work; One battling year here- 100 souls, 35 baptized
These disciples were so weary, but suddenly something changed, and they knew warmth!
HOW CAN WE HAVE OUR HEARTS WARMED TODAY??
When your temperature is not right, you are sick - and the doctor knows it. What of your spiritual temperature?
TO BE WARMED WE MUST COME TO GOD - II COR 4:6-7 TELLS US SOMETHING ABOUT HOW TO FIND WARMTH
- Dr. Bill in Yuma last Wednesday told us that we must get rid of our hang-ups; 'tis true- we fight revival.
- God wants to shine some light (truth) into our hearts - His light, not our own prejudices!
- This will warm our hearts- even though we have earthen vessels- we can hold His glory!
BUT WE MUST DRAW NEAR TO THE LIGHT OF THE LORD WITH A PURE HEART - HEB 10:22
- We cannot change our hearts- but we can move our feet- come to God- He will burn out impurities!
- But we need to draw near to God- He might not chase us down like He did with those two disciples!
- If you spend time with Jesus you will have a burning heart - His warmth will saturate you!
WE MUST NOT LOSE OUR SPIRITUAL WARMTH TODAY, OR, IF WE DO, WE SHALL HAVE GREAT LOSS!
- The night is coming, the coldness of the age is around us; draw close to Jesus or perish!
- Judges 16:20- Sampson rose up with his power gone, and knew it not! Rev 3:15 - lukewarm hearts?
- Will Jesus find any faith when He comes back? Just how determined are you that He will?
When the heart is warmed, it will demand a voice- v.34, some of you need to speak out!
DO YOU HAVE A WARM HEART FOR JESUS? IF SO, SHARE IT SO THAT OTHERS MAY BE WARMED!
- If you know Jesus, have found forgiveness of your sins, share it with others to stay warm
- If you are spiritually cold, then draw near, let someone else share warmth with you!
- The warmth is there - spiritual strength, power, life - if you will listen and believe!