Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Luke 9:1-9, 10:1-12, Matt 9:35-10:42
AS THE LORD SENT HIS DISCIPLES
Apr. 16, 1967
MANY ARE DISTURBED ABOUT THE WORLD'S NEED AND HAVE IDEAS OF UTOPIA- HERE IS JESUS' WAY.
Jesus was moved with compassion because of that confused suffering of befuddled sheep. He told his disciples to pray the Lord of the harvest, twice he sent out groups to preach. If we will look carefully at the way Jesus did it, perhaps we can learn how to face the same problem today, for the world is in a confused, suffering, sin charge state sin cursed state!
I. JESUS WAS MOVED WITH COMPASSION Matt 9:35 -10:4
It takes the right balance of prayer, faith, and work to do something about the suffering.
A. JESUS SAW THE TERRIBLE SIN AND WRETCHEDNESS BROUGHT ON THE PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THE SIN- Matt. 9:36
- He could not remove the penalty of sin and be just, and the people were fainting and scattered.
- Legalism would legislate against sin, Monastism would hide from the world of sin - wrong
- Jesus urged his disciples to pray for laborers, and that the Lord of the harvest would send --
B. THE LORD OF THE HARVEST SELECTED THE LABORERS FOR HIS FIELD Matt. 10:1-4
- We have twisted views of ownership today- socialized, but the master still owns the field
- We reach out to help the poor without prayer- naturalism, and every dream for utopia fails!
- But if we prayed and did not reach out to help- would be hypocritical fanaticism
C. AMONG THE CHOSEN ONES WAS JUDAS ISCARIOT - Matt. 10:4- A WARNING TO ALL
- Satan always seems to have his advocate, someone to sell out the Lord's plan at the last moment
- Don't trust any gift, office, desire for service, or success as proof of your call of God
- God never gives the divine call apart from one yielding to the touch of the Holy Spirit
Search your soul for prayer, the world for need, and your heart for Spirit's call
II. JESUS SENT OUT THE TWELVE Matt 10, and Luke 9
Each of the 12 tribes of Israel were represented, and 3 sets of brothers- unusual
A. NOTE THE THREE DIVISIONS OF DIFFERENT TYPE OF INSTRUCTIONS IN MATTHEW 10-
- The places, words, message, and manner was for the Apostles right then- 10:5-15
- Broader instructions were given that were not for just preachers- but all service- 24-42
- This is the basis for our Bible Schools- Colleges- to better equip people to do the Lord's work.
B. JESUS GAVE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO HIS 12 APOSTLES THAT WOULD NOT FIT TODAY
- Go not to Samaria- Matt 10:5, take nothing for your journey- Luke 9:3
- He gave them power and authority to heal and told them to preach the kingdom of heaven
- He told them to take no thought for what they would say, Matt 9:19 Cf Schofield's note
C. THESE ORDERS WERE CHANGED LATER, AND WE HAD BETTER MAKE SURE OF OUR ENTIRE BIBLE
- If you don't have a sword- sell your cloak and buy one- Luke 22:36 - defense & protection
- Prayer still comes first- in Acts 1:8 they were to tarry for power- then go to preach.
- No longer to the Israelites- but to every nation now they were to go and teach- Matt 28:19
For now we must study- II Tim 2:15, and be ready to answer everyone about our faith- I Pet 3:15
III. JESUS SENT OUT THE SEVENTY- Luke 10-
This is the only account of the quick thrust throughout all Judea after John 9, 10:22
A. THEY WENT OUT TO EVERY CITY OF JUDEA IN AN ORGANIZED WAY - NOT HAPHAZARD
- Again they were sent out 2 x 2, and told again to pray the Lord of the harvest- last call!
- They were to go as lambs among wolves- but there is no record of any difficulty-
- They were to travel off the land- Luke 10: 7 is only N.T. verse quoted in N.T. - I Tim 5: 18
B. THEY WERE TO PROCLAIM PEACE TO EACH HOME
- They were to proclaim the Gospel of the Kingdom (9), but we the gospel of God's Grace
- If they receive you, give them your peace - V. 5, 6, of John 14:27- this was Jesus' Peace
- If they do not receive you- woe to them v. 10, 12, 16- But we bless the one who goes-
C. THEY RETURNED REJOICING IN THAT EVEN THE DEVILS WERE SUBJECT TO THEIR POWER- Luke 10:17
- Jesus gave them enough power to even come to Arizona and preach - of v.19 10/11/56 Beal
- But the real cause of rejoicing- their names written in heaven - V. 20 Salvation- is yours?
- After a person is saved- the next great joy is not healing of the body- but Salvation for others
IF JESUS WERE TO COME TODAY, BIBLE ASKS WILL HE FIND FAITH ON EARTH? WHAT KIND OF HARVESTER ARE YOU?
We need to see the burden of the world, and really pray for them-
We need to follow the leadership of the Lord of the harvest, and to win souls-
With wisdom, and determination, we should be able to win souls to Jesus- why aren't we?
Will you make your own needs in this area your special prayer until God acts for you?