Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Mal 3:1-18, 4:1,2
COAL FOR BURNING, DIAMONDS FOR SHINING
Nov 28, 1971 am
GOD SENT A MESSENGER TO OFFER HIS WEARY PEOPLE LIGHT AND HEALING DURING A TIME OF DARKNESS
- The windows of Heaven had been closed for 70 years of captivity, now new light, new hope.
- But history shows 400 years of darkness after Malachi! Why? The people missed the revival.
- We are coming to an era of darkness in America, and God is not making up His jewels -
The furnaces is being prepared for the judgment of the chaff - what is it to YOU?
THE DAY OF THE LORD - MAL 3:1-4
The people were crying out for God to come and make right all the things that were wrong.
GOD SENT THE MESSAGE - "BEHOLD, I WILL SEND MY MESSENGER, HE SHALL PREPARE THE WAY FOR ME." 1A
- In the days of fulfilment it was John the Baptist - rough rugged, ill-clothed - maybe Jesus People?
- "The LORD, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple" - Jesus did, and because of his gentleness many missed Him - then!
- But the next coming - "Who may abide?" v.2a, Men think they want Him but can YOU stand then?
"FOR HE IS LIKE A REFINER'S FIRE, SHALL SIT AS A REFINER AND PURIFIER OF SILVER AND GOLD" 2B,3
- The carnal Jews were mistaken, they looked for a temporal prince to lead them to prosperity.
- But instead He will come as a refining fire, to purify His own, and to purge those who aren't.
- Every man's work shall be tried by fire- I Cor 3:13, but more importantly, every man's soul!
WHEN THE LORD FINISHES HIS WORK, MEN WILL OFFER TO HIM RIGHTEOUSNESS, AND IT WILL BE A PLEASURE
- Those who are the Sons of God - refined - till refiner sees his face, dross gone, gold pure!
- Those who are not sons - burned up, coal for the burning - the fire that burns coal, cleans gold.
- Here is the big divider of men- v.5a "I will come near" - burning for some, cleansing for others.
The purest gold stands the hottest fire for cleansing, whitest garment the strongest soap.
ARE YOU DROSS FOR BURNING? 3:5-15
Whether we are coal or diamonds, very close, same basic element - formed differently - heat, pressure.
GOD WILL JUDGE THE DIFFERENCE, AND WE WILL BE JUDGED BY AN UNCHANGEABLE GOD! V.5,6
- The Bible says God will be a swift witness against sorcerers (dope) and adulterers (New Morality)
- Liars, those who oppress others, and those who take away other's rights - sounds right up to date.
- The source of all sin - 5b - "and fear not me!" This is the big divider of men - do you fear God?
ANOTHER TEST GOD WILL USE IS OUR MANAGEMENT OF MATERIAL GOODS; WHAT WE DO WITH TITHE - V.7-12
- God accused the people of robbing Him 8a, they asked how - He answered - Tithes and Offerings!
- He said bring ALL the tithes - 10% first, then First Fruits - 1 2/3%, then third year tithe - 3 1/3% - 15%
- His Word plainly says - ye are cursed with a curse, or prove me and receive blessing - v.10,11
ANOTHER TEST GOD USES ON MEN IS IN REGARD TO THEIR OWN WORDS V.13-15 (MATT 12:37 BY WORDS JUSTIFIED)
- "Words hard against me" 13a- They railed against God for not prospering them - much of this today.
- They had religious debating societies - much talk, little do - "word wearied" God - 2:17a
- V.15 they reversed meanings of words, so mocked God- Free Love, Freedom, Peace, Rights
Matt 12:37- by words justified or condemned - for most- both their words and themselves burned!
ARE YOU A DIAMOND FOR SHINING? 3:16-18
"Then" - while the ungodly are earning their hot fire of condemnation - some are doing otherwise
THEY THAT FEARED THE LORD SPAKE OFTEN ONE TO ANOTHER, AND THE LORD HEARD IT - V.16
- When the fires of religious strength burn low, the Christians draw close together - we need church.
- They feared the Lord! Mark of a man of God - Fear means respect! "Thought upon His name" - 16b
- The Lord knoweth them that are His! And He remembers! No matter how mixed up men might be-
THEY SHALL BE MINE IN THAT DAY WHEN I MAKE UP MY JEWELS - 17A - COULD YOU RECOGNIZE HIS JEWELS?
- Edward the 2nd looked at Cullinan - "If I saw it, I would have kicked it!" - But God knows!
- Diamonds and coal, both carbon, but one lets the light in, and when properly cut and polished- Sunburst!
- But the raw stone must be cut and polished - adversity used of God is fine sandpaper.
I WILL SPARE THEM AS A MAN SPARETH HIS OWN SON THAT SERVETH HIM - 17B - SAME FIRE THAT KILLS ALSO PURIFIES
- The world is set to become a real oven 4:1a and some are not ready - oh the torture - burning...
- Oh, to be a son of God is precious - Choose now! To be serving Him makes life more precious!
- V.18a now would be a good time to return to God, and tell the difference! Choose now the Lord.
When the day comes- it will be 4:1 burning, or 4:2 healing in His wings - Sun heals!
MAKE UP YOUR MIND, WILL YOU LET GOD TURN YOUR HEART BEFORE HE SMITES THE EARTH WITH CURSE?
- Do you fear God, think on His name? It is Jesus - become His Jewel - accept Him-
- Do you love the Lord enough to serve Him? Now is the time to get started! There is work to be done.
- Maybe you are a diamond in the rough - let the Lord polish you up a little in adversity -
Better bear it now for the Lord for a season, or bear the burning for eternity!