Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE DANCE OF SALOME
Feb. 26, 1967
WHAT IS IT THAT MAKES YOU LOSE YOUR CONTROL OF YOURSELF, AND HOW FAR WILL YOU FALL?
Psychologists tell us there are trigger situations that put us over the threshold of temptation. In this part of scripture- something happened that cost two men to lose their heads. Youth in ignorance and vanity often skirt along the edge of disaster thinking they are safe, but more mature minds have learned not to tempt fate by needless foolishness-
I. THE DANCE THAT COST HEROD HIS HEAD
John the Baptist lost his head too, but he was a hero, and Herod was the fool
A. HEROD WAS A WICKED MAN, AND HE VIOLATED MANY OF GOD'S LAWS
- Herod Antipas, the son of Herod the Great- a superstitious pagan was never the less shrewd and sensitive
- In Rome 27ad. he met Herodias, wife of half brother- left his wife and married her-
- In spite of his great wickedness- he was wise enough to keep some of people on his side.
B. IN SPITE OF HIS WICKEDNESS BEING POINTED OUT, HEROD HAD A SOFT SPOT IN HIS HEART FOR JOHN
- When John the Baptist publicly denounced Herod's illicit marriage - he was arrested -protected?
- Herod heard many things, and followed John's suggestions (20) respecting John, heard gladly-
- But Herodias hated John, cf v.17,I9 the imprisonment might have been to save John-who knows?
C. BUT HEROD HAD A WEAK POINT, AND HERODIAS KNEW HOW TO TEMPT HIM INTO DESPERATE SIN
- Herodias daughter, Salome, danced at a great feast for King Herod. and he promised foolishly
- She sought advise from her mother, and chose the death of John the Baptist-not half of kingdom
- Herod was sorry, yet for his oath's sake (and because of his lust) he had John killed
Herod was a marked man, later was betrayed in Caesar's court, and deposed.
II. THE DANCE COSTS MANY TO LOSE THEIR HEADS TODAY!
Many people, with less moral values than Herod, are trapped today by the dance
A. A SIGN OF DECAY IS FOUND IN AMERICA'S MAD CRAZE AFTER LUSTFUL PLEASURE TYPIFIED IN THE DANCE
- Dancing has become the thing to promote- in night clubs, schools, and even churches
- The new dance where they do not touch each other even has some Baptists arguing- fanatics
- Would you look at the matter prayerfully- you are personally responsible to God, not me
B. HERE ARE SEVEN GOOD REASONS WHY I NEVER DANCED* Even as a leader in High school & College
- Dancing is based on, and multiplies Lust- (I John 2:15,16,17) of Flesh, Eye, Pride
- Nudity goes with the dance- (Exo. 32:25) A full dress affair is almost undressed.
- Drinking goes with the dance- (Exo. 32:6) Clean High School Dances? Afterwards-plenty
- Violence & Murder are stimulated (John the Baptist) excitement is aroused, ask Policemen
- Divorce is multiplied by the dance (Esther 1.) Ahasuarus & Vashti - and more so today-
- The seduction of the dance leads to adultery -Sex is an appetite-don't tease it-ignorance does not help it
- Some people would even lie to protect dancing (Exo 32:24) would you?
III. WILL THE DANCE CAUSE YOU TO LOSE YOUR HEAD?
The Bible stresses that you must stand before God on your own decisions-
A. YOUR CHURCH IS NOT EXTREMIST OR FANATIC BECAUSE IT URGES YOU TO PERSONAL VIRTUE
- One Church forbids its members to eat meat on Friday, another pork, another-no cokes, etc.
- Some Baptist Churches have dances- Judson Memorial. Bronx- Couples dance on stage- nude
- Our Church accepts the standard Conservative Christian position. No dancers can be officers
B. BUT THE IMPORTANT THING IS NOT THE CHURCH POSITION BUT YOURS, AND YOUR SPIRITUAL GROWTH
- Some would argue over trivial details, and sell their own soul over a mess of pottage
- Romans 14 gives the scriptural standard on doubtful things- and vs 22- esp. value.
- How much do you love the Lord- enough to take care of doubtful things?
C. THE NAME OF A POPULAR TRACT IS * *OTHERS MAY, YOU MAT NOT* * THIS IS THE BOND OF LOVE
- If you are a rare person, and all the above reasons do not apply, still these things apply:
- Romans 14:21 speaks of making thy brother to be offended- you might lead another to death
- Second- is the matter of time- if you are busy serving the Lord, you do not have time for the devil's diversions- But some get mad at the preacher and do it anyway-
BOTH JOHN THE BAPTIST AND HEROD LOST THEIR HEADS* WHICH ONE WILL IT BE FOR YOU?
Herod lost his eternal soul because he preferred the pleasures of sin for a season; John the Baptist risked misunderstanding and ridicule and died to stay true to Christ.
Only Jesus can give you the guidance needed to give your life for a good cause instead of foolishness.