Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Feb 15, 1970 am
OUR AGE IS DYING FOR THE LACK OF BRAVE PEOPLE TO ACCEPT GOD'S CHALLENGE OF DISCIPLESHIP
- In this passage Jesus sent out 12 men to shake the world- they dared to be Apostles - do you?
- In Matt 10 He sent out the 12, in Luke 10 it was the 70 - in Matt 28:19 He even included YOU.
- People are bored with life today, want adventure - why not try this if you want real excitement!
Try being a disciple, pick up the cross of Jesus, and carry it - real excitement!
JESUS CHOSE HIS TWELVE Matt 10:1-15
The first part of this chapter is very much bound to the Time & Space interpretation, but POWERFUL
JESUS SELECTED TWELVE APOSTLES, AND GAVE THEM A NEW, STRANGE, WONDERFUL POWER - v.1-5
- After He had ministered over a year He called unto Him twelve strong men to lead that attack
- Do not try to place the gospel ministry under the restrictions He gave these, or the 70 -
- We lack their power- v.8, but we have the power of the Gospel of Christ - Romans 1:16
JESUS SENT THE TWELVE TO THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL, WITH SOME VERY SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS v.6-15
- They were to go only to the house of Israel- v.6, no Samaritans or Gentiles.
- They were to be provided for as they went- 9-12, live simply, keep moving, no forethought
- And where they were not welcomed, they were to abandon the people to Satan - v.13-15 a curse.
THEY WERE TO PREACH THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM, v.7 AND WE PREACH THE GOSPEL OF FREE GRACE
- This was a racial salvation, based on the good works of repentance, to enter the earthly kingdom
- This earthly kingdom is coming, many of us will not be in it; can't measure up as subjects.
- But the Kingdom of God- Eternal - with Gospel of Grace is what we preach- Know the difference?
We cannot turn back time and take the place of the 12, but we can become disciples today!
JESUS CHOSE HIS DISCIPLES Matt 10:16-31
- The rest of the chapter can be more widely interpreted and experienced throughout the Church Age
JESUS STILL SENDS FORTH HIS DISCIPLES AS SHEEP IN THE MIDST OF WOLVES, SO BE WISE - 16-20
- If you want to be His disciple, do not trust the men of the world- v.17- they will betray you
- But with Jesus any of us can stand before governors and kings- v.18 - and testify of Jesus
- God will give you words if you are a martyr v.19, if we GO v.6 - not for Sunday School teachers - sit and study!
IF YOU FOLLOW JESUS THERE WILL BE GREAT TROUBLES, BUT WE MUST TRUST IN GOD 21-24
- Betrayal has gone beyond imagination- v.21, Hitler did this in Germany- Communism does in every land
- If you carry Jesus name - you will be hated v.22, endure to beginning of Kingdom meant here!
- Lest any should complain- we are not better than our Master v.24, why expect a life of ease?
WE MUST NOT FEAR MEN, NOR THOSE WHO CAN ONLY HURT THE BODY BUT FEAR ONE WHO TOUCHES THE SOUL v.26
- Some commentaries say this means God- only He can send souls to Hell- so fear God! Proverbs
- Some say this means Satan - the new tricks of Communism- brainwash - steal souls of America
- God knows the fall of every sparrow v.30-31, and He values your soul with infinitely more value!
God loves you enough that Jesus came to earth and died in your place to save YOUR soul.
HAVE YOU MADE YOUR CHOICE OF JESUS? v.32-42
Matt. 20:16 says many are called but few are chosen- God is calling YOU now - will you be one of the chosen?
WILL YOU CHOOSE JESUS AS YOUR OWN PERSONAL SAVIOUR? v.32.33 A STRONG CHOICE, IF YOU DARE
- When the enemy says deny Christ or die- will you confess Jesus? Millions have! Some this year
- But when you are before a church - will you dare? Public confession? Baptism? Millions have
- The promise of Jesus here - v.52b is plain; God is calling you- will you choose to be chosen?
WILL YOU CHOOSE HIM IN THE GREAT BATTLE OF SPIRITUAL LIFE ON A SINFUL WORLD? v. 34-39
- The words of v.34 are true- In Luke 22:36 He even said buy a sword - great spiritual warfare
- Will you love the Lord more than any loved one on earth- v.35-7 way to really love them!
- Jesus must come first if you would dare be a disciple - do you know your cross? 38 despise not
WILL YOU CHOOSE JESUS IN THE LITTLE THINGS OF LIFE, THE SMALL THINGS, UNNOTICED? v.40-2
- Whoever receives you in the Name of Jesus receives Him - do you go in the name of Jesus when you visit?
- Anyone who gives a cup of cool water in the name of Jesus as a disciple- v.42 such a small thing
- But this smallest token of love will not be forgotten! What will you do for Jesus for love?
If you choose Jesus, it will cost you much, both small and great- will you dare?
GOD IS CALLING YOU RIGHT NOW, AND YOU HAVE THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE TO BE ONE OF THE CHOSEN!
- Will you choose Jesus as your Saviour, and confess Him before men? Now is your chance!
- Will you choose to follow Him as a true disciple - Love Him first, obey His commandments
- Will you deny yourself completely - and take up your cross to be a Special Disciple?
Will you pray for revival in our church and nation? A special cross for special joy!