Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE UNPARDONABLE SIN
Feb 1, 1970 am
JESUS TOURED PALESTINE ON FOOT, MINISTERING LOVE AND GRACE, BUT HE MET WITH MAN'S HATE
- The great change in the ministry of Jesus came in Matt 11:11/12 but Jesus kept on in love
- But when attacked by the gossip of the Pharisees, He warned of a terrible sin - and sin hurts
- In our day of confusion today, we had better know what this sin is, and we had better take every care to avoid it
Some deny sin, some deny absolutes, but don't miss this warning!
THE PROBLEM Matt 12:23-30
Wherever the love of God shows its tenderness, men are faced with a decision- inescapable
THE MIRACLE OF GOD'S LOVE WAS DEMONSTRTED THROUGH THE WONDERFUL MIRACLES OF JESUS v.22
- Jesus had traveled throughout Palestine- and He was performing miracles - no way to miss it
- He did not put on a sideshow, but in gentleness and quietness He healed - cf v.16,19, love
- The common people called Him the Son of David v.22b, by this they meant- the Messiah! Faith!
THE OFFENSE OF THE PHARISEES WAS SHOWN BY HOW FAR THEY WOULD GO TO KEEP FROM BELIEVING v.23,4
- Letters had no doubt gone to Jerusalem on every miracle- and scribes returned to see
- They had time to rationalize an answer- they could not deny the miracles - so how?
- No scientific answer, so they had to pick God or Satan - they deliberately chose Satan!
THE DEFENSE OF JESUS CAME WITH RATIONALISM TO ANSWER THEIR PROBLEM, IF THEY WOULD LISTEN v.25-30
- God is not opposed to rationalism - if man will be fair - He showed them their mistake v.25
- But notice- He left the free choice up to them - they still had to believe or reject - by faith
- But no one could escape the making of a choice - v.30 and this still applies to us today.
How much would you gamble on your way to a conclusion? Rationalize, feeling, faith? ETERNITY
THE WARNING Matt 12:31-32
- Jesus stopped fencing with them, and for our sake he drove a sharp point home as a warning
GOD SENT JESUS TO MAKE PROVISION TO FORGIVE ALL MANNER OF SIN AND BLASHPEMY v.31a - BUT!
- There are laws- natural, political, spiritual- violation is sin! Only God can forgive all!
- Words against Jesus could be forgiven- after all, the Apostles doubted at times - strange!
- But there is a sin that cannot be forgiven - in this world- or world to come! v.32b 2nd chance?
BUT WHAT IS BLASPHEMYAGAINST THE HOLY GHOST? v.31b A GREAT MYSTERY THROUGHOUT THE AGES?
- What is the work of the Holy Ghost? John 16:7-14a NOTE- To speak of, point to, glorify Jesus
- Many sins against the Holy Spirit - Blaspheme, resist, grieve, quench, and lie to Him (not about Him)
- But this sin warned against here - to blaspheme - to speak evil against, swear against, what is it?
WHY IS THERE NO FORGIVENESS FOR A SIN AGAINST THE CONSCIENCE? HOLY GHOST SPEAKS THROUGH CONSCIENCE
- "A man's conscience is the oracle of God" - Byron - What if a man curses, rejects that oracle?
- "Conscience is the voice of the soul, as passion is voice of body- no wonder there is conflict" -Rousseau-
- "The conscience is the temple of the Holy Ghost" - Augustine - What if that temple be corrupted?
If a man rejects the light of his own conscience- neither reason, feeling, or faith helps
THE DESTINY Matt 12:33-39
- Jesus drove the sword of the Word right into the heart of the only way to escape their evil
WE JUDGE MEN BY THEIR WORKS, BUT GOD KNOWS EVERY MAN'S HEART v.33-34
- We can and must judge trees by what they produce, and so we must judge men by their outward fruit
- But we all know the outward works come from the heart- and only Holy Ghost can speak to the heart
- We need to sharpen our inward ear- and listen to Holy Spirit- He will guide us, still small voice
BUT WE CAN CHANGE OUR DESTINY BY OUR WORDS - TALK MAY BE CHEAP, BUT CAN DO A LOT OF GOOD OR HARM
- By our words we are justified or condemned v.37 This is why Jesus said, "Confess" Matt 10:32
- It is our cry to God that sets in motion the machinery that leads to eternal life- salvation
- We need to keep straight who does good deeds of love - Satan or Christ! Words are twisted-
WHAT FURTHER SIGN DO YOU SEEK? THE PHARISEES SOUGHT FOR MORE SIGNS v.38-39
- The sign Jesus spoke of here was given- the sign of Jonah! Enough to convince Doubting Thomas
- Some Pharisees came- Nicodemus by night; Saul-Paul by day - what proof do you want?
- If you will listen- the Holy Spirit will guide you to the victorious Christian life - not education, nationality, but by FAITH
Your eternal destiny hangs on what you do with your words!
WILL YOU CONFESS JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR SAVIOUR, OR WILL YOU CALL JESUS EVIL? -SOME DO!
- I preach expository messages so your heart can be touched by the Word of God- is it?
- What you do with the message of the Holy Spirit will mean the difference between heaven or hell
- No one will force you- but if you want life, you must listen to the voice in your conscience!