Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
PETER, POPE OR DEVIL?
Feb 22, 1970 am
HERE JUST A FEW VERSES SHOW GREAT GLORY, GREAT CONTRADICTION OF TERMS, AND GREAT CHALLENGE
- Just six months before Calvary, Jesus retreated to Caesarea Philippi to prepare disciples -
- In the edge of Gentile land, foot of Mt. Hermon- by great fortress- He brought out great truths
- Though the message centered around Peter- Jesus taught truths to the disciples we need today
Peter's words ranged from glory to sad temptation, but Jesus pointed the way to real life.
THE GREAT CONFESSION Matt 16:13-20
Great theologians have argued for centuries on the verse the Romanists call their foundations
"WHOM DO MEN SAY THAT I THE SON OF MAN AM?" v.13
- The wisdom and grace of Jesus, a good way to communicate, and to draw a person to divine words
- There are many different opinions today, and public opinion is often mass confusion - interesting
- But people then had opinions, and they have today too - good way to draw men out, and to God
"BUT WHOM SAY YE THAT I AM?" Matt 16:15
- The important question is not all sides of public opinion - but what do YOU think? Truth?
- Peter spoke for the group - "Thou art the Christ" - not the first time - Matt 14:33, John 6:69
- But this is the confession John meant in John 20:31, and Phillip in Acts 8.37 - Saving faith
JESUS SAID "AND UPON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH" v.18
- Thou art Petros, and upon this Petra- a play on words, but DIFFERENT words. He stood on large rock of fortress
- The gates of hell have prevailed against denominations- but not against the confession!
- Only spiritual power could lead Peter to know this- and same for you. Have you so confessed Christ?
Peter did not claim to be Pope - This is not in His Gospel - Mark 8:27, what Rock - I Pet 2:2-7
THE GREAT BLUNDER Matt 16:21-23
The great rock became a great stone of stumbling- read whole Bible with eyes open- Peter a man.
JESUS BEGAN TO SHOW HIS DISCIPLES WHAT HE MUST SUFFER TO FULFIL HIS MINISTRY v.21
- The next 6 months would lead to a rugged cross, and to a savage death- God had a purpose
- Jesus came to earth to die- and did so suffer, for the glory that was before Him- Heb 12:2
- His death was essential to our salvation, and to give eternal proof to all of His deity
BUT PETER, THE ONE QUICK TO CONFESS, WAS ALSO QUICK TO SAY "THIS SHALL NOT BE" v.22
- This shows why God's salvation must be founded in His grace- Man is quick to vacillate-
- When Peter was complimented by the Lord, he was too quick to turn to his own wisdom- and fell
- Like Acts 10:14 "Not so, Lord"- this brazen opposition to Christ could not stand! Did not.
JESUS SAID "GET THEE BEHIND ME, SATAN; THOU ART AN OFFENCE UNTO ME." v.23
- A temptation from an enemy is one thing, but from a friend- so quick betrayed by first Pope
- If you take transubstantiation - Peter as Pope - then you must take him as Satan, too. Both?
- There is much in Christendom that also savourest not of God, but of man! Much of man's way
A person can be so noble one moment, and such a devil the next- be careful which you are.
THE GREAT CHALLENGE Matt 16:24-28
Here is another great challenge to discipleship- I wish I could say what I want to-
"IF ANY WILL COME AFTER ME, LET HIM DENY HIMSELF, TAKE UP HIS CROSS AND FOLLOW ME" Matt 16:24
- If any person will serve Jesus, he must deny himself - Rome had taught them what a cross was
- Our world is confused today- an upside down, broken cross - not peace- but riot, rebellion, sacrilege
- Those who do "their thing" lose all, those who lose themselves in Christ gain their own souls!
"WHAT IS IT PROFITED IF HE SHALL GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD AND LOSE HIS SOUL?" v.26
- Ours has been a materialistic world seeking great gain, and in grasping lose their souls
- But the wave of riots to destroy are also centered in materialism- destroy it - lost souls
- If a man does not properly evaluate the material world - and spiritual- he cannot save himself!
"THE SON OF MAN... SHALL REWARD EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS WORKS" v.27
- There is a rough path ahead through the storm, but it can be faced by men serving Jesus
- Learn from Peter- confess Christ, and follow Him- get your life and your goal in focus- for HIM
- If you do, there will be rewards in the "Kingdom of Heaven" v.19 (neither Heaven nor church)
The challenge is open today- I pray that you have Holy Spirit to reveal the truth!
THESE CONTRADICTORY EVENTS OCURRED IN THE LIFE OF PETER SO THAT YOU CAN DO BETTER TODAY.
- If you will confess Christ- you can thrust back Satan's kingdom- and enjoy doing it
- Be warned about the ways of men, and don't let Peter lead you astray -or you lose all
- If you will take up the cross of Christ- your life will count for Him and your soul saved.