Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
WHY JESUS PAID ATONEMENT TAX
Feb 22, 1970 pm
THE JEWS SOUGHT TO TRAP JESUS ON EVERY TURN, AND SATAN SEEKS TO TRAP US TODAY - BEWARE!
- Jesus was on His way to the Cross, the Jews grew more hateful- Matt 22:15 - ensnaring Jesus
- Jesus came to his home in Capernaum - village of comfort - north edge of Sea of Galilee
- But instead of finding a place of comfort, the Jews provided Him with a spiritual battle
THE QUESTION OF TAXATION OF JESUS Matt 17:22-24
The most ordinary events of life can be used as trouble and temptation- we must look to Jesus
THE BETRAYAL AND TEMPTATION OF THE LEADERS OF THE JEWS v.22-23
- As Jesus journeyed closer to the cross, His enemies became more bitter in their attacks
- They seemed to take turns spying, carrying tales, returning with new tests, never believing
- We can be grateful that none of us have ever found a satanic opposition this severe-
THE TRAP FOR JESUS FROM THE ONES WHO RECEIVE TRIBUTE MONEY - v.24a - (ROBERTSON AND EDERSHEIM- TEMPLE TAX)
- This tax was first instituted in Exod 30:11, and 38:26 - needed to build the tabernacle?
- The tax was continued 2 Chron 24:9, Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews -18.9.1 - is any tax ever dropped?
- But this was not just a tax- it was for an Atonement for the soul- would God's son pay?
PETER BECAME TO ONE TO BE APPROACHED BY THE TAX COLLECTORS - 24b
- When people want to hurt Jesus- they attack His disciples- and Peter was accosted in the way
- When you are tempted, troubled, take it to Jesus - if you need help call the pastor -
- Peter said "Yes"- not knowing the hook that was in the bait - and we many times bite hooks
Thank God, though we do not know the answer, we can go forward, trusting Jesus
THE ANSWER BY JESUS Matt 17:25
Contrary to idealistic opinion, there are some problems without direct answers-
"JESUS PREVENTED HIM" - THE GLORY OF THE OMNISCIENCE OF GOD SHOWN BY JESUS v.25a
- Jesus knew the hearts of men- and He know what to say to get Peter out of this trap - kindness
- He did call him Simon- though He had changed his name to Peter- he used his old carnal name
- Jesus knew the trap- He could not pay Atonement tax and be Lord of the temple- Matt 12:6
JESUS ASKED PETER "WHO PAYS THE KING'S TAXES?" - HIS CHILDREN OR STRANGERS? v.25
- In those days a king sent out tax collectors - almost unlimited powers - and great grafters
- Ezra 4:13 the Jews were known as paying taxes only when they could not get out of it-
- But this was a Temple tax- and God would not collect from His only Son - very obvious
PETER ANSWERED "OF STRANGERS," THEN JESUS SAID "THEN ARE THE CHILDREN FREE" - v.26
- Thank God for the great heritage we receive in Jesus Christ as God's sons- free-born sons
- We are no longer under bondage to the law, and all its legal slavery - free from the Law
- Be careful lest any man put you in bondage again- we have no King but Jesus
Yet as our Income Tax time comes around, we must not let our freedom make us lawless, either!
THE ACTION OF JESUS Matt 17:27
You may interpret this with humor, or with seriousness, the end result is the same
NOTWITHSTANDING THE REASON FOR THE ACTION - "LEST WE SHOULD OFFEND THEM" v.27a
- The meekness and wisdom of Jesus is great- the enemy looked for a scandal, a fight-trap
- We too need wisdom- I Cor 10:23 "All things are lawful" tells of our freedom
- But I Cor 10:31-33 tells of the bondage of love, Gal 5:13-14 -- Others may, you may not
THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM - GO FISHING, v.27b - WHEN WE HAVE PROBLEMS, LET'S GO FISHING
- A lot of our temptations, difficulties, would vanish if we would go fishing- soulwinning
- Just as then- God uses human agency to meet the problem- will you be a cause or a solution?
- Was this a joke - or a miracle? I choose to believe it was a miracle- Jesus knew concerning fish, and commanded the fish to come-
NOTE THE GENEROSITY OF JESUS, HIS KINDNESS - "GIVE THEM FOR ME AND THEE" v.27c
- John 8:36 The Son Of Man shall make you free- Jesus more than rewards us for our obedience
- When we walk close to Jesus He takes care of us - Phil 4:19 supplying all your need!
- It is no sacrifice to give up some of the world's toys lest we should offend- to have Jesus
Will you come to Jesus and obey Him so He can care for you?
EVEN THE SMALL INCIDENTS IN THE LIFE OF JESUS TEACH US OF HIS LOVE AND HIS CARE
- Jesus received Peter with kindness, and He will receive you, too. Come to Him
- Jesus removed the problem from Peter's shoulders, without offense, and He will you
- Jesus paid the tax for Peter as well as His own, in such a way as to escape the trap.