Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE GREAT COMMISSION
JESUS HAD AN APPOINTMENT WITH HIS DISCIPLES* v16 AND GAVE THEM A GREAT COMMAND
This Great Commission sparked men's hearts throughout the entire age of the church. This is the final instruction, last will and desire, of the Lord before He left earth. He was saying in the view of My authority I Commission you with full power of attorney to carry out the work that I was sent to earth to start, & continue until I return!
I. THE GREAT COMMISSION v.19
These words cannot be removed from the sacred scripture, nor minimized in any way.
A. "GO YE THEREFORE" - THE ATTENTION GETTING COMMAND FROM OUR LORD - BURNS DEEP INTO HUMAN HEARTS.
- GO- there is no way this can be interpreted apart from an outreach.
- YE- Jesus spoke to the 11 but the command rings down through the centuries to every Christian.
- THEREFORE- because of what has gone before- 1. -Christ's power 2. -Their Experience.
B. "AND TEACH ALL NATIONS" -A STRONG WORD MEANING MAKE DISCIPLES -DISCIPLING
- The Job is Teach- make disciples- and this involves leading one way or another to full surrender
- The Scope is All Nations- some anti Foreign aid today- bouncing into missions- cannot be!
- The Plan- Acts 1:8 explained in the Apostolic Commission- wait for power then go ///
C. "BAPTIZING THEM IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER AND OF THE SON AND OF THE HOLY GHOST"
- What kind of baptizing- Greek word: to die- immersion, no other way is Biblical- Death, Burial, Resurrection
- In the name- (singular)- then the name of the Trinity- 3, a mystery , but not impossible -faith
- Unless you have some function in the fulfillment of the Great Commission, what purpose?
When the early church did not willingly go- Acts 8:2,4 God helped them with persecution!
II. THE SPECIFIC COMMISSION v. 20
This verse establishes the preacher, teacher, scripture reader, Sunday school student, -many offices-
A. TEACHING THEM (THE JOB)- HERE IS A LESSER FORM THAN V.19- THIS IS- TO INSTRUCT
- The idea is to set up a class, school, use diadetic methods, and to transfer information!
- To meet this command- we have Sunday School - Total CE work- & throughout world - teaching missions
- This is the basis for our Bible Schools- Colleges- to better equip people to do the Lord's work.
B. TO OBSERVE (THE GOAL)- THIS WORD IS FROM GREEK- MEANING TO KEEP
- To watch (observe) as a spectator, as the church struggles- criticized but never help some do.
- But to KEEP as a watchman keeps a city, to preserve, protect, and defend- this is more true.
- To treasure- to lovingly, obediently, sacrificially,- do as commanded,- treasure each wish
C. ALL THINGS THAT I HAVE COMMANDED YOU (THE SCOPE) THIS IS NO SMALL ITEM, SEE IT WELL!
- Too often the human trick is to yell loudly about one violation to cover one's own guilt- other
- There are many cults, denominations, that stressed some- we try to teach all of God's word-
- For this reason we have curriculum- Sunday School- don't miss a class- it is important-
We need your help- it takes all of us working together to do this! We need a few more teachers!
III. THE GREAT PROMISE v.18 & 20 B
God does not call upon us to do a job without equipping us with sufficient power & tools
A. "ALL POWER IS GIVEN UNTO ME IN HEAVEN AND IN THE EARTH" -v.18
- The word is authority- Jesus is the Authorized One for full action and decision!
- Men today are afraid of authority, therefore in the world there is confusion- crosscurrents
- But nothing can stand in the way of The Lord Jesus Christ fulfilling His purpose!
B. "AND LO I AM WITH YOU ALWAY," 20b OUR TROUBLE TODAY IS THAT WE TRY TO GO WITHOUT THE LO!
- If your Christian life is dry, uninspiring, no zip and excitement- no glow- you've misused lo.
- The Christian walk has its hard jobs, many ministers today folding- others wanting out- hurt
- But it is because they have missed this part of the Lord's promise- His presence- holiness.
C. "EVEN UNTO THE END OF THE WORLD" THE DURATION OF THE COMMANDMENT & PROMISE (ALL THE WAY)
- Signs of the end are upon us- Satan cult, wars, peaceniks, confusion,- immorality, drugs,
- A strange wave of New Evangelism- but without the Church as we know it -
- Without the promise of the Lord's presence clean through to the end- I would be afraid
I am glad that the Lord has given us such great and precious promises-
CAN YOU CLAIM THIS IMPORTANT PROMISE OF THE LORD, AND EXPERIENCE ITS POWER AND HELP?
You cannot unless you are Born Again- if you're not one of His- Accept Christ NOW
You cannot unless you have been taught- made a disciple - (personally obedient to Him)
You cannot unless you have experienced the GO - that He has for YOU- are you fulfilling the Go in His command for You? if not come and seek that personal commission!