Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I HAVE YOU IN MY HEART
AUG 2, 1970 PM
This is the same text that I preached from 15 years ago as I started as your pastor-
PAUL, AS AN ITINERATE MISSIONARY, STARTED MANY CHURCHES, LED MANY TO CHRIST, AND LEFT
- There are many problems in the pastorate, and to the evangelist, one needs something to keep going.
- People rise and fall, churches grow and crumble, life is like a battle, Paul trusted God.
- If it is God that does a work in a heart, He finishes that work, but many today work in the flesh, and the work does not prosper long, or endure.
- -Look at pastor's heart-
THE PASTOR'S THANKSGIVING FOR FELLOWSHIP IN THE GOSPEL - V.3-5
Here is a well of encouragement and strength that carries a pastor through many trials
HOW CAN A PASTOR THANK GOD UPON EVERY REMEMBRANCE OF THE PEOPLE OF HIS CHURCH? PHIL 1:3
- A pastor and church face many problems, not all are victorious, not all are pleasant, either.
- But as in his own life, so in other's lives - Phil 3:13 - forget and press on for God's will.
- Paul's secret - "praying always" - "upon every remembrance," up to Holy Spirit to jog memory.
HOW CAN A PASTOR HAVE CONTINUAL PRAYER WITH JOY? PHIL 1:3, WHEN THERE IS SO MUCH HEARTACHE
- A real pastor, without being a busy-body, knows the problems you face - often before you do.
- Sometimes a pastor prays and weeps because of sin, defeat, danger and death within the flock.
- But - always praying for the best things for you, for you are accepted in the Beloved- Eph 1:6
THAT WHICH KEEPS THE PASTOR GOING IS THE PRECIOUS FELLOWSHIP IN THE GOSPEL - PHIL 1:5
- The pastor must take the desires of Christ as his desires for you - with no favoritism.
- If you try to please Christ, if you love the Lord, this causes your pastor to rejoice!
- We all want sweet fellowship, but it must be in Christ and in the work of the Gospel - spiritual.
And I thank God for many precious friends - sorry I can't make every one of you a favorite!
THE PASTOR'S CONFIDENCE IN CHRIST - V.6
This confidence is important - without it I would leave the ministry; slight unbelief is deadly.
A PASTOR THAT IS INTERETED IN SERVING THE LORD IS LOOKING FOR AN ABIDING WORK, NOT TEMPORAL
- A man of God wants to see people saved from their sin- then to grow strong and mature.
- But often those we work the hardest to help turn on the one praying for their soul - lost.
- Often a secure church can be seduced by one false member - pastor wants it to prosper in the Lord.
WHY DO SO MANY CHRISTIANS (SO CALLED) FALL TODAY AND CHURCHES HAVE SERIOUS TROUBLE?
- Many are the converts of men - following men with itching ears- when they see pastor's faith, they fall!
- Some are converts of their own good works - critical, narrowminded - then blame pastor or God
- Check your own heart to make sure you are not following men nor your own humanistic ideas!
BUT WE CAN BE CONFIDENT - IF CHRIST HAS BEGUN A NEW WORK IN A PERSON, HE WILL PERFORM IT! V.6
- No man can come to Jesus except the Father draw him, and he that comes - John 6:44, 39,40
- The Godly pastor ministers to fulfil Christ's work in hearts - Eph 5:25-27, II Cor 11:2
- But Paul knew and preached the mystery of God's purpose- eternal, unchanging - Rom 8:28-31 - predestination.
Do not let this day pass without making sure that you are a part of that purpose and are saved!
THE PASTOR'S COWORKERS - THOSE WHO ARE TRULY IN HIS HEART - V.7
A pastor and his church stand or fall together - each reflects the image of the other
THE PASTOR AND THE CHURCH GROW TOGETHER, OR THEY FALL APART TOGETHER
- Paul prayed for them that their love might abound- v.9, and that they approve things excellent - v.10
- But Paul had to plead with them to stand fast in the Lord- 3:1, same mind -2, - and help- 4:3
- They must each care for each other - 4:10 - they helped Paul, and he cared for them - 4:17
IN TRUE LOYALTY TO CHRIST, THE PASTOR GIVES HIS ALL FOR HIS CHURCH AS TO THE LORD - V.7
- The pastor will go anywhere, at any time, to minister and to help - taking great chances
- But the pastor is no mastermind - he needs to know your needs and where you want help!
- The pastor's greatest problems come from trying to guide people who do not want guidance!
IN TRUE LOVE AND LOYALTY TO CHRIST THE CHURCH WILL GIVE ITS ALL FOR ITS PASTOR, AS FOR CHRIST
- The members make a pastor poor or prosperous, give him time to pray and study, and encouragement!
- If you cannot obey the pastor, you will not please Christ - Heb 13:17 teamwork is spiritual
- The members can pray a pastor forward - truly share in all his work as co-laborers
Thank God for the encouragement and strength given to me and my family by this church!
BUT AS WE LOOK TO THE FUTURE, WILL WE SHARE JOY OR SADNESS BEFORE THE LORD?
- If you are not sure of your salvation - make us all rejoice - confess Christ NOW!
- If you need baptism, church membership, or some stewardship decision, make it now!
- If you want real revival, pray, work for the Lord - try to preach the Gospel as you can!
Whether you do a good job or not - if you are trying, I will rejoice - v.18