Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Rev 1:1-19 (Read 1:1-2)
WHAT GOD SHOWED HIS SERVANT
Dec 6, 1970 am
HOW DOES A PREACHER "GET HIS MESSAGE" TO DELIVER TO THE CHURCH IN DAYS LIKE THESE?
- One of the greatest preachers was John - he was shown by the Lord (v.1) signified by an angel
- John also wrote "which we have heard, seen, looked upon, and handled of the word of life" - I John 1:1
- God's modern servant - your pastor - must get the message the same way (2c) and you sent me to see
I hope I can minister the word better without boring you with "I saw" - Get the message!
WHAT DOES THE LORD SHOW HIS SERVANT?? - REV. 1:1-3
It is more than just a message- it must be a message from the Lord to his people - the Church
WE HAVE NO ANGEL TO SPEAK TO US - BUT AS II PETER 1:19 SAID, "A MORE SURE WORD OF PROPHESY"
- I saw Patmos - but from 30,000 ft. up - I'm not sure, and people would not believe me about Turkey-
- If an angel were to speak - my memory is not sure, who would believe it, I'd get emotional, too.
- But I have God's Word - study, restudy, and so can you - v.3 Read, hear, heed it yourself!
GOD'S MESSAGE SHOWS US THINGS WHICH MUST SHORTLY COME TO PASS - V.1b
- Some people like history - Rev. has 285 quotes from the O.T., Matt has 95, Heb 102, because history repeats itself.
- Some are interested in current events - re: people, events, ideas - and John wrote of these too.
- But God alone can tell us of the future - with great detail, and yet not violating our free will
STILL THE TESTIMONY IS OF JESUS CHRIST, AND THE RECORD OF THE WORD OF GOD ABOUT HIM - V.2
- John bore record of the Word of God- the testimony of a life - that it is God's word - greater than computers
- John gave the testimony of Jesus Christ, and Jesus authenticated the Word of God!
- John also wrote of all things that he saw - 2b - the preacher must not be blind to events -
The personal experience of the preacher is necessary to better tell you about Jesus - Cave - Gethsemane
WHAT DID HIS SERVANT SEE?? - REV. 1:4-18
The first thing God's servant must see is a clear vision of Jesus Christ - helps see all other things
JOHN COULD NOT WRITE THIS BOOK WITHOUT A DEDICATION PARAGRAPH AS A BEGINNING
- This book is dedicated "unto Him that loved us" - 5d - which is a tremendous title of our Lord
- Also to the One who washed us with His blood, and made us kings - to Him be the Glory!
- And John cries a shout of joy - "behold He cometh - every eye shall behold Him" - to some a warning
JOHN WAS IN THE SPIRIT BUT HE KNEW WHAT HE SAW, AND HE SAW THE LORD IN A SPECIAL VISION - V.10-16
- Clothed to the feet - a Priest; girt with gold - a King; He is our only High Priest and King!
- Hair - white - Purity; Eyes as flames- searching heart; Feet as brass - Sanctity and Judgment
- Voice as many waters - great; Mouth as a two-edged sword - the Word - Heb 4:12- dividing even soul and spirit
THE LORD SPOKE VERY PLAINLY TO HIM, THERE WAS NO DOUBT AS TO WHAT THE LORD HAD TO SAY - V.17-18
- One real look at Jesus flattens any of us - Gideon in OT, Peter, and now- John (I wept in Grotto)
- To those who respect Him, He has one word - oft repeated, always needed- "Fear not" - and touch
- He can say this because He liveth- was dead, and is alive forever - and He can give you life!
The sure touch in a person's personality that shows he has been with Jesus - humility!
WHAT MESSAGE DID HIS SERVANT GIVE? V.19
Delivery styles may change, languages different, vocabulary vastly different - but same message
WRITE THE THINGS THAT THOU HAST SEEN -
- We want the baseball umpire to "call 'em as he sees 'em" and so with preaching- good and bad both
- John saw Jesus walking among the seven candlesticks - (the churches) - the trained eye can see Jesus
- The description of Jesus was apocalyptic, but definitely relevant today - and desperately needed
WRITE THE THINGS THAT ARE -
- The messages to the seven churches - read them carefully - 7 ages, 7 churches today, 7 personalities each
- Speaker: I know thy works, but have somewhat against thee; repent or judgment; promised rewards;
- You can find your own personality somewhere in the 7 churches - what will you do about it?
WRITE THE THINGS THAT SHALL BE HEREAFTER
- People seek someone to tickle their ears with fancy interpretations and flashy theories
- But most all of this happens after the church is raptured - make sure the plagues aren't yours
- The state of the world is in waiting for the fulfillment for these great pictures-
While at Megiddo we heard machine gun fire- and jet airplanes - fighters - roared overhead
WHAT DOES GOD HAVE TO SAY TO YOU IN HIS WORD? WILL YOU LISTEN, SEEK IT, HEED IT, OBEY IT?
- You must know Jesus Christ personally if you are going to escape the curses described in Revelation
- If you would have the promises to the overcomers, you must seek them through Jesus Christ
- The day is at hand when the Lord will divide the sheep from the goats - which will you be?