Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
BEHOLD, I COME QUICKLY
Jun. 23, 1974
THIS PASSAGE HAS THE TWO MOST OFTEN REPEATED THEMES IN GOD'S WORD, 1 IS SECOND COMING OF JESUS
- OT ends in a coffin in Egypt, the NT ends with the process of the Lord's coming- Blessed Hope
- The Theme "I Come Quickly" is repeated often, but until He comes, there is another word- to you
- God's favorite word, repeated from one end of this book to the other - and all of His Servants give you this word; indeed if we were silent- the very rocks would cry out His message!
I. BEHOLD, I COME QUICKLY v.12
This passage is confusing- who is speaking? The Red Letter NT is just another man's opinion-
A. THE ONE WHO IS SPEAKING AT THE FISRT OF THIS PASSAGE 22:1 - IS AN ANGEL - NOTICE 21:9
- The announcement is so great- and maybe in confusion about words- John fell down and worshipped.
- v. 8,9 plainly show this to be an angel - called himself fellowservant- & of prophets, etc.
- The angel spoke briskly- "Worship God"- Don't ever worship me!- We worship or crucify-
B. WHY THEN DID THE ANGEL SAY THE WORDS THAT SHOULD HAVE COME FROM THE LORD- I COME QUICKLY? v.7
- v.6 the angel tried to emphasize that the sayings are faithful and true- sent of God by Angel
- The same Lord God that spoke through Prophets speaks through me- "Thus saith the Lord"-
- This is one of the Angels with one of the 7 last plagues- v.21-9 -but he did God's bidding
C. "BEHOLD, I COME QUICKLY", COMING AS A MESSAGE FROM THE LORD; WHAT DID HE MEAN? TO THEM? US?
- Could be swiftness after things once start; or with God a day is as 1,000 years- no hurry to Him.
- Time to God is short- but to us it is long- especially if we are having troubles & sorrows
- The Bible stresses our being patient- Rev. 14:12, and faithful as we wait- but it is hard.
These words are not to be sealed like- Dan 12:4, The time is at hand -for the correct season!
II. BEHOLD, I COME QUICKLY v. 12
When this phrase is repeated, there is no doubt that it is Jesus speaking in person-
A. MAYBE IT IS THE ANGEL THAT GIVES v.11 * LET HIM THAT IS UNJUST BE UNJUST STILL!? Puzzle verse.
- This is solemn Irony- something very dangerous for man or angel to use- is very strong warning.
- In Matt 26:45 Jesus said- "Sleep On" - Though many of us do- I am sure this is not His wish!
- Ezek. 3:27 is another verse - that tells us to do whatever we will do- because we certainly will.
B. BEHOLD, I COME QUICKLY - AND THIS TIME IT IS WITH REWARD TO GIVE TO EVERY MAN v.12b
- The Lord alone is the Alpha and Omega,- v.13, He alone is to judge mankind for rewards -
- Salvation is by faith- but rewards is according to our works- Good works, sacrifices, -His Way!
- Some of us will have no rewards,- some let Satan take them away,- some do nothing- What of You?
C. BLESSED ARE THEY THAT ** WASH THEIR ROBES * HERE IS A MISTAKE IN THE KING JAMES BIBLE, v.14
- Walter Scott, great Bible Scholar detected copient error- hundreds of old manuscript now found
- Rev. 1:5,6- Jesus loved & washed; 7:14 -Those who washed - If this speaks of salvation, only one way
- Titus 3:5- Not by works- but His mercy - he washed us! - worthy of water of life- & Heaven- city
Those who are not regenerated,- Saved,- changed- cf v.15- simply won't be in Heaven!- Check up!
III. THE GRAND INVITATION 2 COME * v.17
God's favorite word- used from one end of the Bible to the other - is the word "Come" - Isa. 1:8
A. THE SPIRIT AND THE BRIDE, HE THAT READETH, * ALL SAY COME! WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
- I used to think this cry was to the Lord- Please come quickly! -And many of us so cry!
- When we suffer- when the way is hard, we are misunderstood, or make a mess- we want out!
- The martyrs even cried "How Long O Lord?"- Rev. 6:10- we do want end to our problems- but
B. THERE IS NO MISTAKING THE NEXT TWO USES OF THE CALL, LET HIM THAT IS ATHIRST * COME! 17b
- This cry is not for the Lord to come to us--- but for lost Sinners to come to the Lord!
- The open invitation- whosoever will- come and drink- Isa 55:1 - without price, -free grace
- We cannot hasten the Lord's coming- but our voice and strength can bring people to the Lord!
C. THE SPIRIT AND THE BRIDE, AND THE VOICE OF THE LORD CRY OUT TO SINFUL WORLD* YOU COME!
- If you do not come to Jesus- and accept Him as Saviour- you will be left out when He comes
- The Spirit cries to your heart- When you are saved you cry to others- John 4:29 Come see!
- If we do not speak- God will raise another! If no one gives His Invitation- Stones cry out!
While you are waiting and crying for the Lord to come- you had better cry to others- come!
JESUS SAID "SURELY, I COME QUICKLY", v.20 BUT CAN YOU SAY, "EVEN SO COME" -- ARE YOU READY?
- You cannot change His time schedule- but you can change your own destiny- Come to Jesus!
- Come for Salvation- Come for Church Membership- Come -tonight! Baptism! Next Sunday, too!
- His coming soon is the Blessed Hope for the Church- Your inviting others- blessed Task --