Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Rom. 1:11,14,16, 2:16
A GOOD LOOK AT A GREAT BOOK - THE GOSPEL OF GOD
Jan. 7, 1968 am
God used the greatest mind of that age to give us the full explanation of the Gospel of God. The deepest scholars dig at the words: Justification, Sanctification, Adoption, Restoration. Though Paul's sentences are long, his message is plain enough for the simplest mind.
I will leave the deep technical points for the YM Class, & seek simple, practical, devotional.
I. AN INTRODUCTION TO THE GOSPEL OF GOD
The best introduction to a product is a satisfied user- what did it do to Paul? He testifies
A. "SEPARATED UNTO THE GOSPEL OF GOD," 1:1 There was a change in the life of Saul of Tarsus
- We must never lose sight that God is personally interested in each soul- and CALLS us to Him
- The Gospel according to Paul (2:16) makes a difference - it separates a new person - new nature
- There has never been an age when we have needed this separation more - We play Christian - no separation, no sacrifice
B. "DEBTOR BOTH TO THE THE GREEKS AND THE BARBARIANS" 1:14 Paul owed a debt.
- He owed the people in Rome and wanted to give them some spiritual gift- 1:11, He paid on it.
- We live in a day of debt and credit, we know the importance of paying, what of Spiritual Debt?
- It is fun to pay a debt. Soul-satisfying. Makes us rejoice. Even more so Spiritually.
C. "NOT ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST;" 1:16 Paul did not hide his light under a blanket-
- I have never been able to understand why anyone would be ashamed of the Gospel - but we are!
- We have allowed Satan to whisper - "we mustn't mention religion, politics, or sex" -Ashamed
- The Gospel opens the POWER of God unto Salvation, shows the Righteousness of God -Faith.
II. AN EXPLANATION OF THE GOSPEL OF GOD
The big question is how can a wicked sinner find forgiveness & salvation in a just God?
A. "FOR ALL HAVE SINNED AND COME SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD" 3:23 - all have sinned, and are sinning!
- The PAGAN - 1:20-23 -The gentiles, barbarians, are without excuse - sinners without culture
- The CIVILIZED - 2:1-29 - 1st half may mean Greek Greats, 2nd half definitely means Jewish Greats
- All men - 3:9-10, - declared, and shown to be without any righteousness under law- 3:19-20 any law.
B. "JUSTIFIED BY FAITH" 3:28 ALONE! SALVATION IS A FREE GIFT, RECEIVED BY FAITH
- Chapters 4 & 5 state and explain that faith, not works, opens door to our being made righteous
- Chapters 6, 7, 8 tells how God makes us free from condemnation of the law, and our old nature
- Chapter 10:6-13 tells how we take the step of faith that leads to salvation - Confess, Believe, Ask
C. "I BESEECH YOU THEREFORE, BRETHEREN," 12:1 The proper place of works is because of, not to earn, Salvation
- We are to present our bodies as living sacrifices - 12:1,2 - not our pleasure, but Duty to Him
- We are to be subject to higher powers - 13:1 - not lawless, self-willed - but disciplined, obedient
- We are to help the weak and rule ourselves - 14&15 - True Values are Spiritual Values - 14:17
But many today would help themselves and rule the weak - even in church!
CONCLUSION: GOD IS GOING TO JUDGE YOU ACCORDING TO PAUL'S GOSPEL * MAYBE SOON, MAYBE THIS YEAR
- If you have not declared your faith in Christ- you must do it now! Faith unto Salvation
- If you have not been thankful enough for the Gospel, why not consider your debt now?
- Check out God's call for you, be separated unto the Gospel, and not ashamed of it!
When you are willing to do something about it, people might believe you!