Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
NEITHER MEAT NOR WINE
May 24, 1970 pm
ROMANS 8:1 TELLS US OF NO CONDEMNATION FROM GOD, BUT 14:22 WARNS US OF SELF-CONDEMNATION
- Salvation in Jesus Christ frees us from the condemnation of God, 8:1, and we stand justified
- But we are told that it is not good for us to condemn others by what we do - 14:21
- And "Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth" - 14:22b
If we are active in doubt, instead of faith - our own doubts will cause us unhappiness - 25
THE FREEDOM OF THE CHRISTIAN - ROM 14:17-17
The principle of personal freedom is declared in the Bible, given to us by God, and is eternal
THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS NOT PHYSICAL, TO THE LETTER OF THE LAW; BUT SPIRITUAL, LIFE-GIVING
- The entrance into the kingdom is by faith, being born again, receiving new nature - John 3:3
- The apostles settled the principle of freedom for the Christian - Acts 15:28,29 - not ritual
- Paul declares the theoretical principle of freedom- Rom 14:14; Phil 4:13; I Tim 4:1-5
THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS APPROVED OF MEN, V.18 AS WELL AS ACCEPTABLE TO GOD
- The principle of the kingdom is freedom to "righteousness, peace, and joy" or "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
- In Christ a person possesses these by faith (standing) and pursues by practice (state)
- The Christian who does not pursue these simply does not have happiness - Matt 6:33 "seek first"
THE CHRISTIAN IS TO FOLLOW AFTER THE THINGS WHICH MAKE FOR PEACE, AND EDIFY ONE ANOTHER - V.19
- What is lacking today is that people try to force others and do not govern themselves!
- Preachers become tormentors instead of peacemakers, and people go condemning, not seeking.
- Christians eat each other - instead of edifying, and each accuses the other - like children.
We are responsible to God to keep ourselves right - not forever getting offended by others!
THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CHRISTIAN - ROMANS 14:20-21
We are free to choose right, and peace can be gained only by our carrying our responsibility
A CHRISTIAN CAN GIVE OFFENSE BY A HARMLESS ACT, AND SO MUST JUDGE SELF AND CHOOSE NOT TO!
- This meat Paul was speaking of was offered to idols - Cf. I Cor 8:1-13 - if you love God - it is known of you.
- There are many things that a Christian can do that will not really hurt themselves - but --
- No person who loves God would enjoy a freedom if it hurts another! Do it for fun - it's not fun! - Then frustration.
JUDGE NOT THE OTHER PERSON, BUT YOURSELF; IS YOUR QUESTIONABLE FUN WORTH IT?
- Meat does not hurt, wine is a purifier of water, herbs v.2, which day v.5,6, none forbidden by God
- The temperate, kind, sincere man will not be hurt by any- but what of those who follow him?
- Debatable Sunday recreation, shopping, park, sugar, fashions - and some are doubtful, not debatable, such as
- Smoking -
- Drinking -
- Dancing -
- Hollywood -
- Gambling -
- Immodesty -
- Worldly music
THE RESPONSIBILITY TO GOVERN YOURSELF AND NOT BE CONDEMNED BY CONSCIENCE IS GREAT.
- Your salvation is free - by faith in Christ - and is not affected by these -
- But the salvation of others is by your works, and your happiness is affected!
- Check your attitude carefully, then check your actions - seek Christlikeness-
A Christian has no right to skip along the brink of Hell where followers will fall in!
THE CONSECRATION OF A CHRISTIAN - ROMANS 14:22 - 15:7
"Whatsoever is not of faith is sin" v. 23b - and a Christian will not find happiness in sin!
CONSECRATE YOURSELF COMPLETELY TO GOD AS A LIVING SACRIFICE FOR HIS GLORY - ROMANS 12:1,2
- There are busybodies today with conflicting rules for conduct- no meat, marriage, joy or life.
- If you try to be guided by everyone's conscience, you will be confused. Listen to all, believe your parents and pastor, and act on your own conscience.
- Get on your knees, find what God wants you to do, and do it with a sweet smile- Rom 12:3
BE ALWAYS ABOUNDING IN YOUR WORK FOR THE LORD, AND YOU WILL NOT FAIL - I COR 15:58
- Every misdeed we allow in our own lives takes time and energy from our work for God!
- The best defense is a good offense - if you are witnessing, trying to win - you will find out what is doubtful right quick!
- If you are not - you will be stopped from joy by your own inactivity - no fun anyway.
WHETHER YOUR NATURE BE MYSTICAL OR PRACTICAL, SEEK THE STRAIGHT PATH CLOSE TO THE LORD
- Seek the leadership of the Holy Spirit; He will guide you faithfully - I John 2:27
- Seek the leadership of your own heart - not the old nature, but the new one - I John 3:20, 21
- Seek the plain instructions of the word of God, avoid sin, and do right - Psa 119:9-11
And if you want to be sure of success in the Lord - II Pet 1:8 - If these be in you - abound
GOD WANTS OUR LIVES TO BE FULL, LOTS OF JOY, ADVENTURE, HAPPINESS, AND VICTORY - CLAIM IT!
- Receive the Lord Jesus as your Lord and Savior - so that you can OBEY your Savior.
- Seek the kingdom of God first - strive after God's will - and you won't condemn yourself.
- Let the Lord lead you one step at a time - which is the next step?
Confession, Baptism, Church Membership, Consecration, Stewardship, Full Time Service.