Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE PURPOSE OF PREACHING
Sep 6, 1970 am
THE BOOK OF TITUS HAS INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO SET THE CHURCH IN ORDER
- Luke and Timothy were dearly beloved of Paul - but Titus was sent when a church had real troubles.
- The church is to adorn the Doctrine of God - Titus 2:10, and the one on Crete needed help.
- Titus was to straighten out the church through preaching - 2:15 Speak, Exhort, Rebuke - with Authority.
But not as Nehemiah 13:25 - in the Old Testament - can just preaching do it?
GOD SHOWS HIS WORD THROUGH PREACHING!
People today don't like preaching; they rank it with Prohibition - say it causes bootlegging!
AT ONE TIME GOD DELIVERED HIS WORD FACE TO FACE TO THE KEY MEN IN THE BIBLE!
- He spoke to Adam in the cool of the garden - to Moses, Abraham, Jacob, Gideon, Mary of Bethlehem
- Heb 1:1 tells us that He also spoke through His prophets - - Many of them said "thus saith the Lord."
- Hebrews also tells us that God spoke through His Son - the Living Word - "Hear ye Him!"
THE WORD OF GOD WAS SPOKEN, AND MORE VALUE FOR US - WAS WRITTEN BY THE APOSTLES
- John wrote that his testimony was what they had seen and handled of the Word - I John 1:1
- Paul wrote that all scripture was by inspiration of God- II Tim 3:16 and profitable
- But Peter wrote that some wrested the scripture to their own destruction- II Pet 3:16
BUT IN DUE TIME, PAUL WROTE THAT GOD "MANIFESTED HIS WORD THROUGH PREACHING" - TITUS 1:3B
- Even with the apostles themselves- they preached the word of God - every type of sermon found in the New Testament
- It was "evangelize" - to announce the good news of the Gospel - to evangelize, BUT - another too
- Titus 1:3 - was "kerusso" - to officiate as a herald, or to set in order - v.5 - more than evangelize.
If people did not like "evangelizing," they sure did not like the "Kerusso" - officiating!
BUT PREACHING IS GOD'S WAY
The liberal cries, "Don't preach to me" - and any such preaching is hated by many today.
BUT THE EARLY APOSTLES CEASED NOT TO PREACH AND TEACH ABOUT JESUS, EVEN WHEN CHASTENED - ACTS 5:42
- Though commanded, and punished, they kept on preaching, and God honored them.
- They preached in the temple, but also in every house - they must have had help in doing this.
- The early church gathered to listen, and they all went out to do their own preaching of the word.
THE PREACHING OF THE CROSS WAS CALLED FOOLISHNESS, BUT THEY KEPT ON PREACHING - I COR 1:18
- It was the world that called it foolish then - but today many Christians are ashamed, too.
- It has pleased God through the foolishness of preaching to save those who believe - I Cor 1:21.
- Not foolish preaching! To preach takes preparation, prayer, study, experience with God - WORK.
PAUL DID NOT TRY TO USE ENTICING WORDS, LEST THE WISDOM OF MEN BE EXALTED - I COR 2:4
- There always has been some "smart" preachers- using intellectualism, psychology, eloquence -
- But Paul rejoiced no matter how Christ was preached - Phil 1:15 - even of strife and envy.
- Any time someone tries to preach from the word- you can profit - if you seek Christ in it.
For the purpose of all preaching is to center on Christ - in you - Col 1:27,28
PREACHING HAS MANY TYPES, BUT ONE LORD!
If you feel as Isa 61:1 that the Lord has anointed you to preach - then go to it! Do your best!
THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF SERMONS; LET ME LIST JUST A FEW - MARK THEM IN YOUR BIBLE!
- PERSONAL TESTIMONY - easiest, can be quick, natural way, Paul used this - use scriptures!
- EXPOSITORY - 16 different types - hardest, but rewarding to all - expose a passage- word study- principles, theme, outline, history, geography, Greek customs, etc.
- TEXTUAL - like expository, but on a short verse, or phrase - a motto, key thought
- TOPICAL - on a certain subject, doctrine - use Concordance - go from Genesis to Revelation
- HISTORICAL INCIDENT, OR BIOGRAPHICAL - the world loves a good story - the Bible is full of them
BUT ALL PREACHING CENTERS BACK TO ONE OF TWO PURPOSES, OR BOTH - AND IS NOT JUST TEACHING.
- To evangelize, every Christian has to be a soulwinner - preach a little sermon to evangelize
- To set in order, either the church as an organization - or a person Titus 1:9 - exhort, rebuke, etc.
WILL YOU LET GOD USE THE FOOLISHNESS OF PREACHING TO SET YOUR OWN LIFE IN ORDER?
- God has an order for your life - make sure to seek it - not your order, but listen to God!
- That involves Baptism, Church Membership, - consecration, stewardship, service, living the life
A VITAL ELEMENT TO PREACHING MORE THAN JUST TEACHING IS TO CONVINCE - TITUS 1:9
- Until you are convinced to receive Christ - all of God's word is indeed foolishness to you.
- Until you are convinced to live for Christ - most of God's word is foolishness to you.
- The success of every sermon depends on you- if you open your heart to believe God, and to be blessed, the simplest sermon is as eloquent as an angel -- and opposite!