Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
ADORNING THE GOSPEL OF GOD
Nov. 3, 1968 pm
THE LAST OF THE PASTORAL EPISTLES USRGES CHRISTIANS TO ADORN THE DOCTRINE OF GOD
- The power of the Church is that of her revelation of God's Truth- attracting people to it.
- The Church is to adorn the Truth, as a shining light, as a beautiful flower, as a perfume
- The Church in Crete was in a hard place, but when time is darkest, the smallest light is able to shine brightest.
The Flower in the garbage dump draws the most attention!
I. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PASTOR Titus 1:7
The pastor is the candlestick, the Lord is the Light, the Church the temple - all glorious
A. THE PASTOR IS TO HOLD FAST THE FAITHFUL WORD Titus 1:9
- The principle is that which was taught in II Tim 2:2 - the four-fold level teaching situation
- He is to walk true to the Gospel and its Doctrines as recorded in vs.7,8 - living proof.
- He is to let Jesus Christ live in and through him, yet his personality is used of God
B. THE PASTOR IS TO EXHORT, SPEAK, & REPROVE AND SO CONVINCE THE GAINSAYERS* v.9
- This is a tall order- Speak -Enunciation of Truth, Exhort- Application to Need, Reprove - An insistence on Obedience to the Word of God. And to do so as to convince!
- Who is capable of these things? We are in Christ! We must have confidence in Christ
C. THE PASTOR IS TO SPEAK THINGS THAT BECOME SOUND DOCTRINE 2:1
- This is the opposite of the Gainsayers- v.11, Their words lead to death & corruption
- Under even the most difficult situations the pastor must have a clear vision of God's will
- The real test of a sermon is how it affects the daily lives of the listeners - does it help?
The Pastor must see the truths of God, the prevailing conditions, & how to lead people.
II. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CHURCH 2:2-10 esp. 10b
The lives of the people of the church form a sacred temple, makes it easy for men to see Jesus
A. SOUND DOCTRINE IS THAT THE AGED MEN BE SOBER, SOUND IN FAITH, IN LOVE, IN PATIENCE* v.2
- By Aged it has referenced years- and these are the special virtues to be produced in aged men.
- If you are past 50 (then it was less), study to develop these traits as Graces from God
B. SOUND DOCTRINE IS THAT THE AGED WOMEN LIKEWISE BEHAVE AS COMPLIMENTS HOLINESS - v.3 ff
- The same pattern as the men, but a few individual characteristic special problems to women
- One of the most important things is to teach good things- teach younger women
C. SOUND DOCTRINE IS THAT THE YOUNG WOMEN ALSO FOLLOW GOD'S LAWS VERY POINTEDLY v.4,5
- Workers at home- where children need them, Commanded to love husband and children -
- For if they are not obedient to their husbands, the word of God is blasphemed!
D. SOUND DOCTRINE IS THAT THE YOUNG MEN LIKEWISE BE EXHORTED TO BE SOBER MINDED v.6-8
- You see, Timothy and Titus were young men, so it is plainly spoken what he should be- teacher
E. SOUND DOCTRINE IS THAT THE SERVANTS BE OBEDIENT TO AND PLEASING TO THEIR MASTERS v.9,10
- Obedient, not answering back, pleasing- easy to understand- & Needful- 60 million slaves in empire
- But purloining? Means keeping back a part of obedience - Cf. Col. 3:2-25 - apply today? Yes.
III. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH INDIVIDUAL SOUL
We must be as lights in the world, to draw attention to the beauty of Christ
A. WHATSOVER WE DO IN WORD OR DEED, DO ALL FOR THE GLORY OF THE NAME OF GOD - Col. 3:17
- To do something in the name of another is to give the other person the credit-
- Truly Jesus should get the credit for anything good that we do- He saved us, gave new life
B. THE PURPOSE OF THE CHRISTIAN IS TO BE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD, THE SALT OF THE EARTH Matt. 5:13,14
- John 8:12, 12:36, 9:5, But now we as Christians are the light of the world- shine for Jesus
- We are the salt of the earth- must not lose our savour- so that we can purify the world.
- The light is to shine so that men may glorify your Father which is in heaven.
C. THE PURPOSE OF OUR GOOD WORKS, CROWNS, CLEAN LIVES, IS TO THE PRAISE AND GLORY OF JESUS
- It is true that lesser motives can still be good, but the very best is the highest motive
- The highest motive of life is to do great things, just for the Glory of our Saviour
- If our lives are not glorifying, then like the young women who are careless - our sin can cause the name of the Lord to be blasphemed.
DO YOU WANT TO GLORIFY GOD, AND HIS SON JESUS CHRIST, OR DO YOU WANT TO MAR HIS NAME?
- DRAW CLOSE to Jesus Christ- let Him be your Saviour, then you can serve Him
- Examine your life closely, are you adorning the Gospel with your life? If not, why not?
- When things are the darkest, you should shine the brightest for Jesus- Do you? If not, why not?