Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Titus 3:8, Philemon
CAREFUL TO MAINTAIN GOOD WORKS
Oct. 29, 1967 pm
IF PAUL WERE ALIVE TODAY HE WOULD FOLLOW HIS SAME OUTLINE, WE OFTEN MISS PART OF IT
In all of Paul's epistles, they are 1/2 doctrinal and 1/2 practical Christian living. We have a hard time making a fair balance- we go overboard one direction or another. Our salvation is not of our works, but it sure ought to make us work - Here is a faithful saying -
I. "THAT THEY WHICH HAVE BELIEVED IN GOD" Titus 3:8
Not everybody can qualify for all the Bible promises
A. BELIEVED IN GOD (that He is and that He is a rewarder of men - Heb 11:6)
- Faith believes in God- anti-atheism, anti-agnosticism, anti-skepticism
- And that He rewards men- anti-deism -God cares what goes on in this world
- That seek Him- anti-fatalism -God deals with us according to our care
B. BELIEVED IN GOD'S LAW (the Bible)
- We could not know sin without God's Law - we would be dying and not know why
- His law (contained in the Bible) is a searchlight to show our sin, and our salvation
- The law- from Gen to Rev - is a schoolmaster to point us to Christ- Gal 3:24
C. BELIEVED IN GOD'S SON (the Lord Jesus Christ)
- The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life- through Jesus (Rom 6:23)
- There is none other name given among men whereby we must be saved- Acts 4:12
- If you believe, you have life. Life is not just for its own enjoyment- life to work!
Phil 2:12 - Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling
II. "MIGHT BE CAREFUL TO MAINTAIN GOOD WORKS" Titus 3:8
Everybody who qualifies as a believer can and should maintain good works
A. "BE CAREFUL" - We can argue - be careful for nothing- and miss heart felt love
- Our desire should be toward pleasing God, we should care! God cares
- If we care enough, we will make this our main job- consecration because of love
- In Philemon, he owed Paul, v.19, his very life, he cared for Paul, how much?
B. "TO MAINTAIN" - a steady practical life, not just once in a while
- Not as the waves of grain, blown about with every wind of doctrine- but anchored as a tree
- God is watching you, and He is counting on you maintaining- till Jesus Comes- don't fall
- Others are watching you, too, and if you are not steady, they will fall, too.
C. "GOOD WORKS" - we can harp that there are no good works- and miss the command of God
- Spiritual- read God's word, pray, teach, evangelize, worship - spiritual good works.
- Social- care for others, show your good works by ministering deeds of love & mercy-
- Physical- just plain work for the Lord- tithing is the easiest, then comes physical discipline in refraining from sin and working- to help God's kingdom!
III. "THESE THINGS ARE GOOD AND PROFITABLE UNTO MEN" Titus 3:
Even if you are not saved- most civic and fraternal groups prove that this is profitable.
A. THESE THINGS ARE GOOD FOR YOU - If you are doing good, you get the best deal
- Sin's worst curse is that it takes valuable time that you could use for your wellbeing
- When you do a good deed- give a gift, show love, help out - you get the greatest blessing
- Holiness with goodness- at any price, pays double dividends- more blessed to give-!
B. AND PROFITABLE UNTO MEN - If it is good for you, it is also good for others around you
- Our Sunday School teachers code is designed for the benefit of the pupils- others
- When you do what you should for the Lord- others are brought to Christ
- Also, this is the start of hospitals, orphanages, missions, schools,- all ministering to others
C. LET US LEARN TO MAINTAIN GOOD WORKS "THAT WE BE NOT UNFRUITFUL" Titus 3:14
- Every life on this earth has its purpose - many today fail to find purpose- just be flowers
- Those who fail to accomplish something with their lives- will be unfruitful- empty handed
- Nothing is as tragic as a wasted life, unless it is a person who has missed life completely
EACH DAY YOU MUST FIND SOME PURPOSE, TO MAINTAIN GOOD WORKS FOR THE SAKE OF CHRIST
Check carefully your salvation, don't be a false promise claimer- but be redeemed
If you are saved- or not/still profitable/ let the Boy Scout motto be yours - good deed
Seek leadership of the Holy Spirit every day, to walk in the most fruitful path.