Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE COMMUNICATION OF THY FAITH
Nov. 17, 1968 pm
HERE IS A PERSONAL LETTER ON A DOMESTIC MATTER THAT TRANSFORMED A KINDGOM
- From the heart of Paul comes a prayer for a Christian to do the right thing in a matter
- Paul prayed for proof of Philemon's faith - effectual communication to show love of Jesus
- As he bridged the gap between slave owner & slave, we today have a great gap to bridge
Perhaps in the study of this passage we can catch a key to bridge that gap.
I. A PRAYER OF THANKS FOR PHILEMON'S FAITH
Paul continually gave thanks for the work of the Lord in the lives of those he knew
A. PHILEMON WAS SAVED BY CHRIST v.4,5 AND PAUL WAS THE ONE WHO LED HIM TO CHRIST v.19
- We see in Paul a great loyalty to those he had led to Christ, a continual prayer ministry
- Paul's appeal to Philemon was rooted in the salvation Jesus gave to him - the highest motive
- How can any man reject such an appeal, yet some today forget quickly the Lord who saved them
B. PHILEMON HAD ENOUGH FAITH TO SHOW A SPECIAL LOVE v.5 AND THAT LOVE WAS KNOWN ABROAD
- Not only did he love the Lord, but he loved those that the Lord loved- the Saints- hard?
- His house was always open in his display of that love- for church, or for a hostel
- Because Philemon was love-motivated, Paul could appeal to him on the basis of that love. v.9
C. PHILEMON HAD ENOUGH LOVE TO RENDER SACRIFICAL SERVICE, A GOOD WORK FOR THE LORD v.7
- Paul said that he derived much joy and comfort from Philemon- Paul was in prison- needy.
- The Church that operated in Philemon's house could not help but cost him a great deal
- The hearts of the Saints were refreshed - the rest & comfort they found there also cost much.
Is your life such that the man who led you to Christ can thank God for you?
II. A PRAYER FOR EFFECTUAL COMMUNICATION OF FAITH v6
There are three meanings to the word used here as communicate - and each applies
A. THIS MEANS THE TESTIMONY OF THE LIPS * Eph. 4:29-32 A MUCH-NEEDED GOOD WORK IN ALL AGES
- Many people ruin their testimony with filthy lips or lying tongues- Mouth shows heart!
- Others show forth with their lips the love, mercy, praise, joyfulness, of the Lord- do you?
- In this age the Christians went everywhere gossiping the Gospel - telling about what God did
B. THIS ALSO MEANS A WAY OF LIFE AND GIVING - Gal. 6:6 - WITHOUT THIS THE GOSPEL WOULD BE STARVED
- The communication of material gifts, food, clothing, money- to preachers, & to the Church
- The N.T. way meant an open-handed hospitality, as well as faithful stewardship - tithes
- This often involved much hard work, to send an offering to Paul in prison-
C. THIS ALSO MEANS A FELLOWSHIP OF COMMUNION CENTERING IN THE CHURCH, WITH CHRIST AND HOLY GHOST
- The same word used here is used elsewhere regarding the Lord's Supper- Church close fellowship
- In 2 Co 13:14 it means following close to the leadership of the Holy Ghost, Spirit led
- This would involve faithful, effectual attendance in God's worship services - wherever held
Let your conversation be as becometh the Gospel- Philippians 1:27
III. WE NEED TO BRIDGE THE COMMUNCATION GAP TODAY
This is a new age, and we must be able to reach out with the Gospel to young and old
A. WE NEED A NEW AND FRESH TESTIMONY WITH THE LIPS THAT WILL AGAIN GOSSIP THE GOSPEL TO THE UNSAVED
- We talk everything but Jesus, we learn the world's slang and we would be embarrassed at its meaning
- We need a renewal in our ability to talk about spiritual things- start visiting for Christ
- The Communists are great talkers- and must talk to others- we need to reach new people, too.
B. WE NEED A NEW AND FRESH TESTIMONY FROM LIFE AND LIVING THAT WILL SHOW THE POWER OF CHRIST
- Our finances are lagging- I appreciate the faithfulness of some, can't understand others.
- Our hospitality is below par - how about opening your home - missionaries, conventions- after-church evangelism?
- Our labor is also below par- do your clothes show your love for Jesus? Short skirts don't. Boys- the way you drive your car, carry yourselves as gentlemen.
C. WE NEED A NEW AND FRESH COMMUNION WITH THE SAINTS THAT WILL SHOW THE LOVE OF CHRIST
- How do you describe your church to others- roast choir for lunch, preacher for supper?
- Do you enjoy the fellowship and communion of the people of your church - thank God for them?
- There are sincere people here trying hard to serve the Lord- Hearts of gold should bless you
What are you trying to say with your life? Look it over carefully & make it good.
LET THE COMMUNICATION OF YOUR FAITH BE EFFECTUAL BY ACKNOWLEDGING EVERY GOOD THING IN CHRIST
- Confess Him with your lips, testify for Him with your life, enjoy Him with your worship
- Someway break the communication gap between young and old, saints and sinners- for Christ
- Let others see an example of Christian Brotherhood here in this Church - in His love