Great Doctrines of the Bible
Theology: The Study of God
by Pastor Wesley Darby
GREAT DOCTRINES OF THE SCRIPTURE - DOES GOD EXIST?
THE FIRST CHAPTER IN ANY DOCTRINE BOOK IS - THEOLOGY
"The Study of - God"
Our Church Doctrinal Statement - "I believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons - Father, Son, and Holy Ghost" - and certain scriptures listed.
Nowhere in Scripture is there an attempt to prove God!
HOW DO WE KNOW THAT GOD EXISTS?
"Come, let us reason together saith the Lord" Isa. 1:18
- Universal natural belief in God by all peoples
- Cosmological - argument from cause/must be first cause
- Teleological - from design - creation/perfect pattern
- Ontological - from being - I am and I believe God is
- Anthropological - Only origin of morals and goodness
- Congruity - the only key that explains all things
"Thus saith the Lord" - 3800 times in Bible - "God said"
- Jer. 29:3- "Seek... and find me... with all your heart"
- John 20:31 - "Written that you might believe"
- John 17:3 - "...know Thee... only true God"
- Eph. 5:19 - "Know love of Christ... passeth knowledge"
- Job 36:26 - "God is great... we know Him not... Neither can the number of His years be searched out."
BUT WHAT IS THE GREATEST THING WE CAN KNOW OF GOD?
Rom. 5:8 - "God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
John 3:16 - "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
"God is Spirit, infinite and perfect; the Source, Support, and End of all things. The Trinity of God is His Tri-Personal existence as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. God has the absolute attributes including:
Spirituality - Life and Personality
Infinity - Self Existence, Immutability, and Unity
Perfection - Truth, Love, Holiness
Relative attributes include:
Eternity, Immensity, Omnipresence, Omniscience, Omnipotence.
Veracity and Faithfulness; Mercy and Goodness; Justice and Righteousness.
The Scriptures assume that the things of God are clearly seen through His creation- Rom. 1:18,19,20