Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THIS SAME JESUS
Jan 3, 1965 am
INTRODUCTION- JESUS HAS NEVER CHANGED- WE MUST CONSIDER THIS SAME JESUS THE APOSTLES GAZED AFTER
- Great pictures have been painted of this scene
- In the emotionalism of the scene, we missed some very practical truths
- We must face the same problems that disciples faced, looking after this same Jesus.
I- THE APOSTLES WERE GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS- SO ARE WE- BY THIS SAME JESUS
A. Jesus gave them instructions and commandments V. 4
- They were to wait in Jerusalem for the empowering of the Holy Spirit (4)
- They were not to wonder about signs or seasons- (7)
- They were to be witnesses of Jesus a step at a time to the whole world
B. Jesus gave them many infallible proofs of His person
- Jesus did not try to prove His doctrines, He proved His person!
- The truths of Christianity do not rest on psychological or scientific support
- They rest on the person of Jesus as the Christ- don't miss this same Jesus
C. This same Jesus has given us instructions, too.
- The instructions are given in the word of God
- The instructions are given again in the Acts of the apostles, and unto this day- history
- The instructions are given again through the body of this same Jesus- the church
II- THE APOSTLES STOOD GAZING AFTER JESUS- AND SO DO MANY TODAY
A. These men saw Jesus
- They were with Him before and after His crucifixion- and knew why He died.
- They had seen His walk, His miracles, and His power
- Here they saw Jesus taken up, and a cloud cut off their sight. A real wonder.
B. They stood gazing up after him
- They could be excused for looking for awhile-but angels rebuked them
- There is a time to gaze in a time not to gaze- this must have not been the time
- Paul caught a bunch gazing years later (II Thess 3:11 to 14)
C. This same Jesus is not to be gazed after today
- There are some who spend great emotional words to prove their devotion
- The liberals today spend great words talking about the wonderful teacher, and psychologist.
- Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15) HE WANTS OBEDIENCE- NOT GAZES
III-THE APOSTLES HAD A JOB TO DO
A. The promise was given- this same Jesus- shall so come-
- It was a great wonder the way in which He left- but He will come again- so why gaze
- The next time He comes He will judge the hearts of men-
- Paul said in Romans 2: 16 that we will be judged by His gospel- you are saved- now do.
B. The disciples went about His commandments
- Jesus had said "work while it is yet day" and they set about to do what He said.
- They were instructed to wait, so they did so in prayer that's work, brother
- When the empowering came, they set out to work- when they lingered God moved them.
C. This same Jesus is coming back
- Will He find them faithful- some He will, some were not!
- You can tell Him your love with words, I'll try to do so with faithfulness too.
- We have a new year- I am looking for this same Jesus and maybe I can hold out faithful to Him for just a little while
CONCLUSION: WILL THIS SAME JESUS FIND FAITH ON THE EARTH WHEN HE COMES?
- Some of you are still gazing- and have never accepted Him as your savior- do so now.
- Some of you are still gazing- saved, but just watching and waiting- this can be a sin! To watch and wait when He says work- is a sin.
- Some of you need to quit gazing and get to doing- Baptism, church membership, stewardship of money and your talents.