Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
GOD IS NO RESPECTER OF PERSONS
Mar 28, 1965 am
HERE IS A SERMON BY A MAN WHO SAID NO TO GOD, WHO PREACHED TO PEOPLE HE DID NOT WANT TO, AND AFTER BAPTIZING THEM, HAD TO DEFEND HIS ACTION BEFORE HIS HOME CHURCH
- This chapter of Acts opens the Gospel to the Gentiles, and therefore to us. Very important.
- It is of special value considering the problems facing our nation today.
- This passage in a real special way exposes the basic themes of the Gospel.
THE INTRODUCTION -
We call it the attention step - peter uses a personal illustration of a great truth that he just came to know, and to see (cf. v.15)
I PERCEIVE THAT GOD IS NO RESPECTER OF PERSONS (ACTS 10:34)
- Though Peter had not seen this before, he was not beyond learning something new - are you?
- Peter forgot this later (Gal 2:11-14) and Paul rebuked him for it -
- Deut 10:17, Rom 2:11, echo the fact that all men are equal before God when they start out! Nationality, birth, rank, wealth, sex, knowledge, matter not.
BUT IN EVERY NATION, CERTAIN ONES ARE ACCEPTABLE WITH GOD (ACTS 10:35) - EQUALITY DOES NOT LAST LONG
- The one that fears God, and works righteousness is accepted with Him -
- But the unsaid half of the truth - the person who does not - is not accepted with Him!
- Even to Cain (Gen 4:7) "If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted?" If not - sin offering.
WE NEED THIS MESSAGE TODAY - WE HAVE TOO MANY DOUBLE STANDARDS AND SPECIAL STATUSES - BUT NOT WITH GOD!
- Britain can use tear gas in Cyprus - but we shouldn't in Viet Nam---
- Police bust up Civil Rights pickets in Washington, but must not do it in Alabama
- Our mayor wants Housing Code because a man burns to death - ?? Laws re drunken murder in streets.
Christian or not, the wages of sin is death - yet we seem to think it does not mean us!
THE CONTENTS OF PETER'S MESSSAGE - ONE OF THE SHORTEST SERMONS ON RECORD!
In this is a sparkling clear survey and summary of the plan of the Gospel.
THE EARTHLY MINISTRY OF JESUS (ACTS 10:36-39)
- The Word which God sent - preaching peace by Jesus Christ (He is Lord of All
- That Word - earthly ministry of Jesus you know - began with John (Cornelius at Crucifixion?)
- We are witnesses (note the impersonal crucifixion - no blame fixed like before)
THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS (ACTS 10:40-41)
- God raised Him the third day - and showed Him openly - not done in a corner - as Paul said
- Not to everyone - but to special witnesses- even to us - eat and drink with Him.
- Peter and the group with him were willing to stake their lives on this - and they did.
THE RETURN AND JUDGEMENT SEAT OF CHRIST (ACTS 10:40-41)
- This message is commanded to be taught - and includes the matter of judgement - NEEDED TODAY
- Jesus will judge the quick and the dead - ordained of God to do so!
- If all are equal before God, how is there any judgement? God respects no person- but deals with every man with equal fairness - according to their actions - do yours measure up?
THE UNFINISHED INVITATION - KNOWN AS THE ACTION STEP - BUT PETER DID NOT GET TO GIVE IT!
THE POINT OF THE MESSAGE - THE REASON FOR PREACHING THEN AND NOW!
- All the prophets witnessed to Jesus -
- That through Him the remission of sins was available - through His name!
- Who to? To whosoever believeth in Him
THE INTERRUPTION OF THE MESSAGE - AND THE PREACHER DID NOT MIND AT ALL!
- Peter told where salvation came from, but did not get a chance to make it personal -
- The men listening made it personal - and opened their hearts to Jesus as Savior-
- The Holy Spirit came upon them - and they began to praise God - with tongues - languages
THIS IS THE KEY TO OPEN THE DOOR OF THE CHURCH -
- Peter's Jewish prejudice went overboard, men were being saved - so can you!
- He had these men baptized - and if you are saved, so should you!
- He had to explain his actions before the church in Jerusalem, but the door is open to any who come by Jesus - but closed to those who have not the key!
WILL YOU LET THIS MESSAGE BEAR FRUIT IN YOUR HEART AS IT DID THERE, THEN?
- Toss out your prejudices, and open your heart to the Holy Spirit - He points you to Jesus
- Confess Christ in our accustomed way, or ahead of time - I care not-
- Be obedient in Baptism - Church Membership - Service - and all!