Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
JUSTIFIED BY FAITH - PAUL'S FIRST SERMON
Apr 4, 1965 am
THE SERMON THAT GOT STEPHEN STONED ALSO GOT PAUL EXPELLED FROM THE SYNAGOGUE
- The first recorded sermon by Paul was much like Stephen's message- but more refined.
- Paul laid his foundation well, and presented salvation by faith to all who feared God.
- But the message was rejected, and he turned to the Gentiles (13:46). Have you received this?
PAUL'S FIRST MISSIONARY JOURNEY
- Paul and Barnabas ordained (13:2)
- John Mark came along but left after the first trial - (13:13)
- Paul carried the Gospel on foot into the continent of Asia Minor-
PAUL'S REGULAR WORSHIP HABITS
- On the Sabbath, they found their way into the Synagogue - Antioch in Pisidia
- As guests they were greeted at the door, gave their credentials and entered.
- They entered, and sat down - to participate in worship-
PAUL'S INVITATION TO SPEAK
- They were noted as strangers, and as men of stature
- The Synagogues had open invitations for guests to speak - would we dare? I trust you - do you?
- The invitation was - If you have any word of exhortation - say on!
PAUL ESTABLISHED A FOUNDATION OF UNDERSTANDING V.16-
- Survey of Hebrew History
- Established a foundation of agreement
- Reminded them of their forefathers, and prophets
PAUL PRESENTED JESUS TO THEM - V.23 -
- God raised to Israel Jesus - 23
- Foretold by John - 24-5 - prophets
- To anyone who feareth God- To you is this word of Salvation sent - v.26
THE CALL FOR JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH - V.27
- The resurrection is offered as proof
- Declaration of Forgiveness of sin - 38 through this man
- Method of salvation - belief - justification, you cannot be justified by the law of Moses
- Warning - reverse psychology - v. 40,41
BECAUSE THIS MESSAGE WAS REJECTED, WE HAVE IT TODAY!
- The Jews rejected the message, so Paul turned to the Gentiles (13:46)
- Prophecy tells us that the church age will fail, and God will again turn to the Jews
- If we miss the message - history will repeat itself again.
THE PURPOSE OF THE LAW, A SCHOOLMASTER TO BRING US TO CHRIST
- We do not have the law done away with - we are not free from its warning, or its purpose
- We live in a lawless age - and we are going to pay a terrible price for it.
- The law of Moses- do this or die, in Christ we have forgiveness when we fail, Moses' law still stands
THE PURPOSE OF THE GOSPEL - FORGIVENESS AND SALVATION - AND NEW LIFE
- When man realizes that he is not God, then he is ready to become God's Son.
- The person that believes in Jesus as Christ is Justified - forgiven - saved - redeemed-
- This person then obeys a height law- not to escape death - but because of love.
WILL YOU HEAR THIS MESSAGE, BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, AND OBEY A HIGHER LAW OF LOVE?
- Many of you will believe only part of God's message to you today - like the Jews then!
- If you do believe - you are ordained to eternal life - v.48
- Will you believe?