Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
TODAY'S MACEDONIAN CALL
Feb 28, 1965 am
THE TEMPERATURE OF MISSIONS IN A CHURCH TELLS WHETHER IT IS HEALTHY OR SICK
- The picture of a dead church- a mighty cathedral with a cobweb around its missions box.
- The command of Christ is to witness, the task of the Christian is to evangelize- or fossilize.
- To cooperate together to send someone to evangelize where you cannot go- is missions.
THE MACEDONIAN CALL BEGAN FOREIGN MISSIONS- ACTS 16:9- AND LED TO OUR SALVATION
PAUL WAS TWICE TURNED BACK FROM MISSIONS AREAS
- Act 1:8 divided up the missions work- city- county- state- and rest of the world.
- South and Central Asia Minor was closed to them by the spirit- 16:6
- Northern Asia Minor was forbidden them- 16:7 so to western Asia Minor 16:8
THE SPIRIT CALLED PAUL TO MACEDONIA, EUROPE, GREECE
- God does not always work through dreams and visions- but here He did!
- They were already going this direction- but the cry- "Come over to Macedonia and help us"
- Would you be faithful to God if He were to call you?
- Ask not for visions to be your lot unless you are faithful to the commands of the Lord you've got!
OUR ANCESTORS RECEIVED THE GOSPEL, WE HAVE GOSPEL!
- Asia might will have ruled the world- but
- Since this the gospel has gone over westward- the history of missions
- Future generations might well depend on our faithfulness and missions- or because we were not faithful enough to conquer the world for Christ life and there might not be any more generations.
THE NEW WORLD WAS FOUNDED BECAUSE OF A DESIRE TO WORSHIP GOD FREELY
South America was invaded for gold- even Mexico- but United States because of God.
OUR FOREFATHERS CAME TO AMERICA TO BE FREE TO WORSHIP GOD AND READ THE BIBLE
- Religious freedom had died out in Europe, and persecution drove men to seek new shores
- Men and women faced death and great suffering to be free to preach the gospel
- I have stood by Plymouth Rock and read the inscriptions- and First Amendment gave freedom of worship- no state church dictatorship.
MODERN MISSIONS CENTERS IN THE UNITED STATES
- Early Missions saw John Elliott, David Brainerd in America
- William Carey and Judson challenged America for foreign missions-
- Soon America took up the major load of evangelizing the world
OUR OWN DENOMINATIONAL MOVEMENT BECAME THE FASTEST GROWING MISSIONS MOVEMENT IN HISTORY
- The American Baptist convention-ABC was founded to backup Judson and Rice - 1814
- Modernism caused the fundamentalist fellowship in 1920- and CBF MS- 43, CBA- 47, HMS- 48
- Our Arizona Baptist convention took its great missions jump from 55- 59 new church program- quit- 62
- Evangelism push 62-63- but things have slowed down- ready for another call from God.
TODAY GOD HAS ISSUED ANOTHER CALL, THIS TIME FOR OUR OWN JUDEA AND SAMARIA
ARIZONA IS ONE OF THE NEEDIEST MISSION FIELDS IN THE WORLD
- Our unchurched borderland- Utah, Nevada, Mexico- hundreds of thousands with no gospel!
- Our state itself- 14 Indian tribes, 250,000 Mexicans, and not enough gospel
- We need new churches, new evangelists, new youth facilities, new education workers-
HOW DWELLETH THE LOVE OF GOD IN YOUR HEART? Cf I John 3 & 4
- I John 3:14- 18- God has given us what we need to meet our brothers need- not federal aid, war on prosperity, leap money- but LIFT
- I John 4:20-21- If we don't show our love for these needy that we see!!!
- Can you look on the needs of the state and not be touched?
GOD HAS CALLED US TO DO OUR PART TO MEET THIS NEED! THERE IS A PLAN- WAY!
- The world asked asked us for help- government- charities- funds- radio- some it takes, some asks
- The real need for our poverty stricken areas is not soup and relief- but the gospel
- God gave our executive secretary an idea- this idea will bring in the money
We have the men to do the job- but they are discouraged, defeated, sometimes forgotten. Will you help to give them the money to get the tools to do the job?
OPERATION LIFT, EACH ONE GIVE $1- AND GET SEVEN FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME!
- First- II Corinthians 8:5- give yourself to the Lord- accept Christ, work for Him for your hobby!
- Second- give Him a dollar! Be one of a million to give a million- this morning- or tonight!
- Third- write to seven friends, and ask them to each become one in a million* You stamp the return- we'll stamp yours
- Fourth- pray for this plan that we will see revival because of it!
Do you need Christ? If you want to make a decision for Christ, come.
Do you need Baptism? Church Membership? Come.