Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
PAUL'S MESSAGE 'TO THE UNKNOWN GOD'
Apr 4, 1965 pm
GOD SENDS HIS TRUTH TO THE POOR AND THE WEALTHY, THE DULL AND THE WISEST OF MEN
- Stephen stood before the Sanhedrin court and was killed - Paul stands before court of wisdom of the world.
- Here the wisest of the philosophers sat in judgment on ideas and doctrines.
- But it is the court and the judges who are on trial this time, not Paul.
HOW GOD USES THE MEN GOD USES
A great city - like ours - much worship - very religious - but hell-bent.
GOD USES MAN'S PROBLEMS
- Paul had to leave Berea - for stirring up the people.
- He had to leave his friends.
- He had to wait for them in Athens - a great city of culture and learning - fine arts
GOD USES MAN'S FREE TIME
- Paul's spirit was stirred at the idolatry he saw (16)
- He reasoned in the synagogue and in the city (17)
- Paul preached Jesus and the resurrection
GOD USES MAN'S CURIOSITY
- Paul met the Epicureans - atheists, materialists - the two enemies Christians have to fight, pleasure and pride - highest aim, to gratify self, pleasure, sexual sin, sensuality
- He also met the Stoics - Pantheists, stern law, educated pride, opposed humility, self denial, dead.
- They were curious.
- They brought him to the court that had condemned Socrates - very religious - but hell-bent.
A city very much like our own- churches on every hand, but corruption, sin, vice, all over.
HOW A MAN OF GOD DELIVERS GOD'S WORD
THE INTRODUCTION - YOU HAVE TO GET A PERSON'S ATTENTION
- Paul knew his men, they were too superstitious - and so today
- He had marched down their Idol Row - seen one marked to an unknown god.
- He started with a startling statement - "I know your unknown God."
THE PICTURE OF GOD - THE UKNOWN GOD - THE ONE THAT IS DIFFERENT
- God made the world (24), was not made by men, or thought up by them.
- God ordered the world (25 & 26) and put man in his place
- Men should seek Him and be happy; He is not far from all of us.
WHAT GOD EXPECTS OF MANKIND - REPENTANCE - JUDGEMENT - SALVATION
- God expects REPENTANCE - once overlooked ignorance - but not now - He demands sorrow for sin!
- God will judge in righteousness (more than these) and the time is appointed
- As proof, He raised Jesus from the dead.
HOW MEN REACT TO GOD'S MESSAGE PREACHED BY GOD'S MAN
SOME MOCKED - THE HARDEST THING FOR MANY TODAY TO BEAR
- They prided themselves that they would give anyone a hearing - but they didn't
- But the philosophers blamed Paul for unveiling their ignorance - resurrection
- The idolaters took their sin out on Him - but God is not mocked!
SOME SAID, "WE WILL HEAR YOU AGAIN"
- This saying also echoes through hearts today.
- Most of them never did- and died lost, and without a chance - procrastination
- Many today put off a decision until it is too late.
CERTAIN MEN CLAVE TO HIM AND BELIEVED
- The Preacher had to leave town soon after this message
- But he left a small nucleus of believers in the town of the wisest of men
- God was near enough to be found of any who seek Him
ARE YOU ONE WHO WILL BELIEVE AND ACT UPON YOUR BELIEF?
- The Holy Spirit can guide you into wisdom and knowledge
- Will you mock, procrastinate, or say Yes to Him?
- There are battles to be fought today; where are the warriors?