Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
BOOKS THAT MUST BE BURNED
May 9, 1965 pm
THE EPHESIAN CHRISTIANS DARED DO SOMETHING THAT WOULD BE FROWNED ON TODAY!
- They dared to do what was needed to be clean- even at great cost, they burned some books.
- In a corrupt city, the Ephesian Church became great and blessed, Timothy became pastor, and a great book was written to them: Ephesians.
- God's work always follows a pattern - riot, revival, revolution, blessing.
- We need some Christians to dare have a riot today-
A REVIVAL LED TO A BOOKBURNING IN EARLY EPHESUS - ACTS 19:11-20
REVIVIAL COMES WHEN IT IS FOUGHT FOR
- The early church saw the miracle of the evil spirit defeating the Jews who played church.
- 17- the name of Jesus was magnified, activity brings glory to God- even wrong activity!
- The people came together believing, confessing, and showing their deeds - works of faith.
THEY HAD A REVOLUTION - THE BOOKS OF CURIOUS ARTS WERE BURNED
- Delving with spirits was risky, in addition to being satanic, so they burned their books.
- These books were worth a tremendous price- but they were a danger to the souls of the owners.
- The people cast their temptations on the fire - books were burned- destroyed
GOD GAVE THE PEOPLE THEIR REWARD FOR THEIR FAITH IN ACTION
- The word of God grew mightily (they had time to read it now) and prevailed - lives changed.
- The Book of Ephesians written to them, I and II Timothy to their pastor, first letter in Revelation.
- Is it possible for God's word to prevail today? - if God's people will pay the price -
- We wait for legal action, when we need to take personal action for Glory of God.
WE NEED A BOOK BURNING CEREMONY TODAY
Lots of things should be thrown from Christian homes - cigarettes, alcohol, playing cards, dirty books, worldly records, worldly clothing, lots of magazines.
WE NEED TO GUARD WHAT GOES INTO THE HEART
- Matt 15:11, 18, 19 tells us that what we eat is not as important as what comes out of our mouth.
- Prov 4:23 tells us to guard, keep our heart with all diligence - cf v.24-27 also.
- Prov 23:7 as a man thinketh in his heart- so is he. What you put in and allow to germinate!
OUR COUNTY ATTORNEY HAS LAUNCHED A DRIVE AGAINST OBSCENE LITERATURE - HOW ABOUT YOU??!
- Some of it is bad enough to be criminal, but it's got to be pretty bad to make it!
- We need to take a look at what is not bad enough to be illegal, but is still dangerous.
- Read report from National Organization for Decent Literature - Code - and Types.
- Beware books that distort your viewpoint from reality - especially sex, romance, crime, and even news.
- Semi-acceptable magazines - photo, romance, movie, "men's" adventure, detective - can be garbage.
- News - Time, Life, Post, and the right hand page of editorials in the R & G are "Handle With Care."
- I Sam 16:7b says the Lord looks on the heart - what have you put in your heart?
- In big chunks or little bits, Phil 4:8-9 should be used to screen what you put in your heart.
WE NEED DECISIVE ACTION AMONG CHRISTIANS TODAY TO SURVIVE
I have no force but the Holy Spirit; YOU alone can open your heart to follow His commands
WE NEED TO CAST OFF THE WORKS OF DARKNESS
- Rom 13:14 says, make no provision for the flesh - so get rid of aids to sin.
- This includes - magazines, books, cigarettes, alcohol, cards, dice, records, clothing, etc.
- Just a little bit is dangerous - a cup of water caused a Gospel Wings plane to crash!
- Col 3:5,8 Mortify, Put off - Render as dead these desires, actions -
- These are harder to actually control. If you don't burn the books that feed these, you sure won't change your attitudes, habits, and behavior!
GOD ASKS FOR OUR HEARTS - THE GREAT COMMANDMENT - LOVE WITH ALL YOUR HEART -
- Prov 23:26 - FF The Lord says- give Me thine heart -
- Prov 23:27-24:1 shows some of the dangers of a heart allowed to wander.
- Rom 10:10 tells us how to have salvation from the sinfulness of a wicked heart.
- Will you believe, come to the Lord, receive a clean heart, and keep it clean?
IT IS THE SLUMS INSIDE PEOPLE'S HEARTS THAT NEED CLEANING UP, THEN THE OUTSIDE SLUMS WILL GET CLEANED UP. HOW WELL HAVE YOU CLEANED UP YOUR INNER BEING?
- These people marched forward and threw their books on the fire - what should you dump?
- Will you confess it to Christ, forsake it, and build something new and clean in its place?