Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Jan 10, 1965 pm
INTRODUCTION- HAVE YOU EVER MISUNDERSTOOD DIRECTIONS, AND YOUR PRIDE KEPT YOU GOING WRONG?
- Tonight we want to study something that has caused a lot of misunderstanding then and now
- Even in our study together whether you agree or disagree you can be blessed or cursed
- The key message here is the unity in action, but instead many have misunderstood words, sought after the wrong thing, been tricked by their own hearts and had discord.
I- "STRANGE TONGUES"- THE TESTIMONY OF THE SCRIPTURES
On any problem, the first thing to ask yourself is, what does the scripture really say?
A. FIRST MENTIONED, AND FULL MENTIONED PRINCIPLE USED- Acts 2:1-21
- The disciples were filled- (not baptized) with the spirit, and spake 16 languages- V.6b
- Greek word here is Glossa- meaning tongue, organ of speech or taste- language- strip of land-
- In New Testament- used 16 times for organ of speech, rest of time- as a language- understood by someone
- In Acts 2 it was a tool to win the lost the most direct way- no esthetic value- but practical
- In acts 2:11 it shows what the people then thought, and verse 41 the results- the lost saved.
B. OTHER MENTIONS OF TONGUES IN THE SCRIPTURE
- Mark 16:17- the signs that follow- first line missionaries- don't forget the snakes and poison
- Acts 10:46- Cornelius spoke his testimony with his mouth, not his foot- naught known here
- I Cor 12:28- tongues here simply means languages- choose best gifts- but more excellent way.
- I Cor 14:2-the apostasy of counterfeiting the total submission of a frontline missionary.
- And Paul warns and restricts its use CF39- nothing known in this language.
- So we have a gift to soul winners- copied by those who desire emotion of being heroes.
II- "STRANGE TONGUES"- THE TESTIMONY OF MEN OF GOD TODAY
One must not be too vain to look around carefully for evidence is another loss of lives.
A. Doctor Epp- of "Back to the Bible Broadcast" One who has blessed my soul through the years.
- Lots of questions about divorce in tongues- but people want my opinion- not the Bible answer
- Tongues was a sign for those weak in faith
- Faithless Christians are critical, lack love in their heart, and caused great confusion and hard feelings.
B. Doctor Sutherland of BIOLA was Dean when I was there, and has been president for years
- Tongues phenomenon is
- no esthetic tongue promised
- no evidence of deeper spiritual life of those who claim it
- frequently characterized by superiority attitude,
- surrounded by great confusion,
- split churches,
- obnoxious pride and hypocrisy,
- they don't evangelize the loss, but proselyte other churches
- Comes from churches who have left the great doctrines and have a doctoral vacuum.
C. Doctor John R Rice far kinder, and more tender in dealing with this, but quite plain
- What is the answer to tongues?
- Some are frauds
- Some self hypnotized by desire to have what they don't have
- Some combination of one and two
- Some demon possessed.
- God may give esthetic tongue to a simple person pressing request.
- First line missionary
III. "STRANGE TONGUES" THE TESTIMONY OF MY OWN EXPERIENCE I am not esthetic- but practical- work.
A. Personal experience 16 years pastorage, 2 1/2 assistant, 3 as president of GPEMA experience = confidence
- I have never heard a person using esthetic tongue, or divinely gifted language.
- Those I have known who have claimed this "gift" have been weak in faith and simple minded.
- If having a little sugar tied in a hanky corner will keep you happy and busy, go to it.
B. THE BY-PRODUCTS OF THE TONGUES MOVEMENT I HAVE SEEN- contrary to scripture
- Great emphasis on Holy Spirit instead of Christ, on esthetics instead of faithfulness.
- The union of Pentecostal people with the Council of Churches crowd- David DuPlesse
- A lack of scriptural unity, split churches- lack of humility, great vanity- better than you.
C. WHAT SHOULD BE THE ATTITUDE OF BIBLE BELIEVING IMPRACTICAL PEOPLE- for God will judge.
- To those claiming it- kindness, love, bid them to win souls, don't cover their estheticism
- Toward the gifts- claim all God has for you, use it to win souls, don't ask for what God doesn't want to give you, or you might get it to your own hurt.
- Toward yourself- scripture commands- be saved, submit and be filled with spirit, be faithful in practical service, and be a faithful witness- this do and be blessed.
CONCLUSION- DON'T FEEL SUPERIOR TO TONGUES PEOPLE, AND DESPISE NOT NOR GRIEVE NOT THE WORK OF THE SPIRIT
- If you aren't saved, maybe you need a holy roller to scare you into getting saved.
- If you aren't yielded to the Spirit, maybe you need an esthetic experience to get it.
- If you aren't witnessing, maybe you need a frontline scare to make you obey.
God will give you what you need- come to him, trust him for it.