Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE SERMON EVERYONE UNDERSTOOD
Mar 7, 1965 am
WE WANT TO STUDY THE GREAT BIBLE SERMONS - THE SERMONS IN THE BIBLE - STYLE AND ETC,
THE FIRST SERMON THAT EVERYONE UNDERSTOOD WAS PREACHED BY A COWARD IN A STREET MEETING
- Peter, the one that was so ashamed of Christ that he denied Him before a servant girl-
- Now Peter became the spokesman for the apostles- in the open street- defends their faith
- Every person heard- and understood at least the language of this sermon- and for many- they understood the message also-3,000 were glad to receive it- were baptized.
THE APOLOGETICS OF THE APOSTLES- THE DEFENSE OF THE SAINTS- ACTS 2:14-21
PETER, THE COWARD, NOW PUBLICLY GIVES DEFENSE OF HIS ACTIONS
- He was accused of drunkenness- V. 13, so he calls all men to listen to his words!
- He faces plainly the charge- drunkenness- and refutes it- about the third hour
PETER USES SCRIPTURE TO DEFEND THEIR ACTIONS- JOEL 2: 28- 32 TURN TO IT- ACTS 2:17-21
- Israel was looking for a messianic Kingdom- these verses are a part of the promise-
- God gave the spirit of his Kingdom- the actual Kingdom is yet to come-
- The personal and individual salvation is emphasized in the New Testament-
PETER DECLARES THE EVENTS TO BE A PART OF GOD'S PROMISED AND PROPHESIED BLESSINGS
- They had waited so long that they did not recognize God's hand when he came
THE APOLOGETICS OF THE GOSPEL* THE MESSAGE OF CHRIST* ACTS 2:22-36
Peter approaches his conclusion slowly, laying the foundation well- then declares Jesus Christ
THE FACTS OF THE LIFE OF JESUS 22-24
Jesus of Nazareth- approved of God by signs- did in the midst of you- as you know
God foreknew it all- ye have taken, crucified, slain-- their guilt shown-
God raised Him up, death could not hold Him- a conclusion they might argue over-
THE SUPPORT OF THE SCRIPTURES 25-31 cf PSALMS 16:8-11B
- Before they could argue- he took them to accepted scripture that they did not understand.
- He explained the scripture- emphasizing the patriarch David as a prophet
- He opened up the resurrection of the Messiah to them- from their scriptures-
THE TESTIMONY OF WITNESSES TO GOD FULFILLING SCRIPTURES- 32-36
- They testified that they were witnesses of the resurrection of Jesus-the quality of an apostle
- They gave the glory to God- and explained another hard scripture- Psalm 110: one
- Peter declared the conclusion to all the people- House of Israel-
God hath made that same Jesus whom he have crucified, both Lord and Christ!
THE ACTION OF THE PEOPLE- WHAT SHALL WE DO? ANSWERED PLAINLY* 37-39
THE PEOPLE WERE LED TO WANT ACTION* THEY ASKED WHAT THEY SHOULD DO
- We tell them what to do first, then try to drive them against their own pride to drink!
- Peter pressed home their guilt, God's actions of making the one they killed the Christ!
- They were shouting and demanding- what shall we do? And it was not made easy for them.
PETER SAID* REPENT, AND BE BAPTIZED AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE THIS GIFT
- They came because they had seen a change in the lives of the apostles! Half job done.
- Repentance- not enough is said about this today- the world is full of sin- end crying more!
- Baptism- sign of public confession- nothing hidden- symbolizing the washing of his blood.
THEY CAME* THEY HEARD* THEY ASKED WHAT TO DO* AND THEY DID IT!
- They that gladly received the word were baptized- 3000 souls added to them-
- These were added to the church- v. 47- so definite records involved-
- When the people found out what to do, they did it.
Peter preached the life of Christ, the deity of Christ, and the salvation through Christ!
SALVATION THROUGH THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS OFFERED TO YOU! DO YOU HAVE IT?
- God is the same, sin is the same- just more sophisticated- man is the same- salvation- same
- Will you accept Jesus as the Christ- and as your Lord?
- The way to publicly declare it is to be baptized after you are saved.