Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
A STREET IN JERUSALEM
Apr 11, 1965 pm
A PALM SUNDAY THOUGHT FROM THE BOOK OF ACTS - LET'S GO TO A CERTAIN STREET THAT HEARD THE CROWDS CRY "HOSANNA" AT THE TRIUMPHAL ENTRY AND LISTEN TO THE CROWDS!
- In Matt 21 the street heard "Hosanna" - but in Matt 27 it heard "Crucify Him!"
- In Acts 3 it heard Peter preach, 5,000 men were saved, Acts 4 the officers arrested him here.
- In Acts 7:58 Stephen was dragged across this way - out of the city - and stoned.
- In Acts 22 this street heard a sermon by Paul, and heard the crowd cry for his blood.
PAUL FOLLOWED AN OLD TIME CALL OF GOD TO COME AND WORSHIP
PAUL TRAVELED A LONG WAY TO WORSHIP GOD IN A SPECIAL WAY
- Acts 18:18 tells us of a vow that Paul took in Cenchrea, near Corinth, in Greece
- To fulfill this vow, Paul traveled a long way - to get to worship in a special spot - Jerusalem
THERE IS A PLACE OF SPECIAL IMPORTANCE IN THE WORLD
- In II Sam. 24:21 David offers a sacrifice here; in I Chron 21:18 he buys the spot
- Solomon's Temple was built here, Zerubbabel's Temple, and Herod's Temple
- Today this spot - Dome of the Rock - Mt. Moriah - the Mosque of Omar - Pagan hands!
- Someday I want to go to this spot - Planned it last year - a year ago I planned to be on this street - new plan cooking - American Institute for Holy Land Studies
BUT PAUL DIDN'T GET TO FINISH HIS VOW
- He was in the temple purifying himself - Acts 21:26-
- He was seen by some of his enemies from Asia - v.27- and the mob dragged him out to kill him - 30:1
- The Roman Guards arrested Paul - started to lead him away - Paul spoke in Greek v.37 to the Captain and was granted permission to speak to the crowd.
PAUL TRIED TO EXPLAIN GOD'S CALL TO HIMSELF
Paul beckoned to the crowd, and spoke to them in Hebrew -
HE TOLD OF THE CALL THAT THEY ALL WOULD UNDERSTAND - ACTS 22:3-5
- Paul gives his background - a Jew of Tarsus
- He gives his training - at feet of Gamaliel - taught and zealous
- He gives his experience - persecuting "this way" - all this the Jews claimed themselves
HE TOLD OF THE CALL OF GOD THAT SAVED HIM - ACTS 22:6-16
- He told of being struck blind on the Damascus Way - by Jesus of Nazareth
- He told of being touched by one Ananias - and God's choice - v.14,15
- He told of his challenge to be baptized, and to call on the name of the Lord - and he did!
HE TOLD OF THE SPECIAL CALL OF GOD TO WHOM HE SHOULD PREACH - ACTS 22:17
- From the very first he knew that he was sent to the Gentiles - Acts 9:15
- Now God tells Paul again - and when God repeats something to you often, you had better listen
- The crowd was willing to listen up to a certain word - then they exploded-
THE CROWD REJECTED THE SPECIAL CALL OF GOD OVER THEIR PREJUDICE OF ONE WORD.
PREJUDICE BLINDED THE MINDS OF THIS JEWISH MOB - THIS PREJUDICE EXISTS TODAY!
- They hated the Gentiles - especially because they Gentiles ruled over them - Romans
- Their anger at Paul was because they thought he had taken a Gentile into Temple.
- The mention of the word "Gentile" so blinded them that they exploded - v.22
PREJUDICE BLINDS THE MINDS OF PEOPLE TODAY
- Today people the world over should open their hearts to Jesus and cry Hosanna! We need new ideas in service for the Lord - some of ours are dead.
- Instead, we hear of riots, bloodshed, our men fighting a thankless war on foreign field-
- But those who will listen to the call of God can be saved - a triumphal entry in hearts
DO NOT LET YOUR PREJUDICE CAUSE YOU TO CRUCIFY THE LORD ANEW TODAY
- If you have never received Christ as your Savior - confess and receive Him today!
- If there is some special call of God you should answer - say Yes to Him today - new idea - try it
- Don't let prejudice or being greatly used of the Lord stop you from giving a vow unto the Lord, and fulfilling it.
PAUL'S MESSAGE WAS NEVER FINISHED - BUT MINE IS. THE REST IS UP TO YOU!
- To fail to act on God's call is just as riotous as to cry "Crucify Him"
- What is God's call to you? To be saved? Baptized? A member of this local Church? A special vow?
- Then come to the Prayer Room, and let your decision be made definite.