Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
NOT DISOBEDIENT UNTO THE HEAVENLY VISION
Apr 25, 1965 pm
PAUL FACED FESTUS AND AGRIPPA - NEVER TURNING FROM HIS HEAVENLY CALLING
- When it looked like Festus was going to turn him over to the Jews, he appealed to Caesar - 25:11
- When Agrippa came to visit, Festus brought Paul out to hear him - 25:26-27 to send word to Rome.
- Whatever Paul's temptations were, he was not disobedient to the calling of God.
Here was a message with a personal testimony; would you have such a testimony?
THE TESTIMONY OF PAUL'S VISION, AND HE WAS NOT DISOBEDIENT TO IT. ACTS 26:13-19
PAUL SAW THE LORD, AND WAS GLAD
- This account is echoed several places in Acts
- This vision kept driving Paul-- when the flesh was weak, he would remember
- But Jesus said, "Blessed are they that have not seen, yet have believed." John 20:29
PAUL WAS NOT DISOBEDIENT TO HIS HEAVENLY VISION - ACTS 26:20
- Paul explained how he preached repentance and turning to God, and works meet for repentance.
- He continued unto this day - witnessing - saying nothing other than what the Prophets and Moses said would come.
- That Christ should suffer, rise, and show light to Jews and Gentiles 23
THESE THINGS WERE NOT DONE IN A CORNER
- Festus interrupted him - thou art mad - much learning - resurrection of Gentiles - Festus objected
- Paul's life, and the affairs of Christ were not done in a corner - nothing hidden-
- Paul challenged Agrippa - 27 - I know that thou believest -the prophets, what of the Lord?
- Agrippa's reply 28 has been interpreted many ways - some mocking, some serious - all tragic.
WHEN YOU WERE SAVED GOD GAVE YOU A HEAVENLY VISION - HAVE YOU BEEN OBEDIENT?
SALVATION BRINGS NEW SIGHT TO THE EYES - AND THEY CAN SEE
- I saw myself as a sinner -- With Spiritual eyes I saw Jesus as my only Saviour
- I saw myself with a new purpose, not just an accident, but now a reason for being on earth -- service.
AT SALVATION GENERALLY NO PART OF LIFE IS HELD BACK FROM THE LORD - ROMANS 12:1
- A newly saved person is anxious to clean house of sinful habits - no sin excused or tolerated.
- Most new Christians soon decide to become a minister, missionary, soulwinner - or full time service.
- Stewardship of money is no problem - neither is stewardship of time and work.
- Personal devotional Bible study and prayer might not be understood, but it is precious.
ARE YOU STILL OBEDIENT TO THE HEAVENLY VISION GOD GAVE TO YOU?
- A lot of Christians at first criticize others for burning out, then do so themselves - cold.
- We need a fresh trip back to the altar and its fire - Isa 6:6-7
- It is one thing to slip, but another thing to refuse to come back to what you know God wants.
WHAT NEW VISIONS OF SERVICE FOR THE LORD CAN WE HAVE TODAY?
THE WORLD SITUATION TODAY IS DEPLORABLE
- II Tim 3:1-5 describes the world - every kind of sin is open to all - you must stand true - because you want to, not have to.
- Rev. 2:2-4 tells of church leaving its first love - Very few today show much love for the Lord.
- Rev. 3:15-17 tells of the church that is doing nothing - respectable complacency - lukewarm!
WE NEED A FRESH VISION TODAY OF A CHRISTIAN LIVING FOR THE LORD IN A CORRUPT WORLD
- II Tim 3:14-4:5 gives a quick picture of good works and good testimony
- Phil. 2:12-15 challenges us to work out our salvation - a working Christian is a happy Christian.
- James 2:18 I will show you my faith by my works - but Christianity is professionalized-
WHAT CAN WE DO TO BUCK THE TIDE OF TIME?
- Rev 2:5 - do first works - is the key to regain the lost love - "Know thy work and do it"
- Rev 3:18-19 - buy gold tried in fire - precious works, costly works for the Lord
- Anoint eyes with eye salve - a need for a fresh vision of what can be accomplished for the Lord
- If God gives you a vision of work - be faithful - then a greater vision will come
- Prov 29:18 Where there is no vision - the people perish.
WHAT WILL YOU DO FOR THE LORD? WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH YOUR LIFE? ? ?
- Come to Christ - see Him with Faith's eye and be saved.
- See what spiritual work Christ would have you do - and do it!
- See what physical work Christ would have you do - and do it!