Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
A MORE CONVENIENT TIME?
Apr 25, 1965 am
PAUL GAVE A GREAT SERIES OF SERMONS IN HIS DEFENSE - AND THEY ALL GAVE THE GOSPEL
- When a man is giving his own defense he can get mighty impassioned - but some forget the message.
- In the midst of Paul's defense he never forgot to tell the message of the Gospel-
- In this one Paul is interrupted, heard the second time, and put off for a more convenient time.
I wonder how many today interrupt the gospel, and put it off for a more convenient time?
PAUL BEFORE THE HIGHEST COURT OF HIS LAND
Christians have not been exempt from bearing testimony in strife and court
THE MIDNIGHT RIDE TO A HIGHER COURT - ACTS 23:12-34
- The military governor of Jerusalem heard of a plot to kill Paul, and sent him to Felix
- You can read the letter e sent with Paul - and see the armed guard - and the rapid trip, in 23-33
- Five days later the enemy came up against Paul- 24:1 to accuse him
TERTULLUS THE LAWYER WITH SMOOTH WORDS BEGAN TO ACCUSE PAUL (2-4) SOFT SOAP
- Tertullus accused Paul of three charges - (5,6)
- a. A mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world - Treason to Rome
- b. Being a ringleader of the sects of the Nazarenes - Religious Heresy
- c. Of profaning the temple - a Jewish crime also against the Roman law
PAUL'S DEFENSE AGAINST HIS ACCUSERS (10-21) WITHOUT SWELLING WORDS - IN SIMPLE TRUTH!
PAUL DISMISSES THEIR CHARGES AGAINST HIMSELF (10-13)
- Paul accepted Felix's judgeship over himself - did not rail against him, but gave his defense.
- Paul reminds Felix that it has been but 12 days since he went up in peace to worship from this town, and witnesses are available.
- He dares his enemies to prove what they have charged.
PAUL CONFESSESS HIS ACTUAL CONDITION AND STATES THE REASON FOR HIS COMING TO JERUSALEM
- 14- Though they call it heresy - I believe all things in Law and Prophets-
- 15- A hope toward God of Resurrection - which they allow-
- 16-20 - I have good conscience - came to Jerusalem with alms and offerings - any witnesses otherwise?
PAUL CONFESSES ONE FURTHER OFFENSE AGAINST HIS ACCUSERS
- Except -1- in the council I cried - re: resurrection - He may have done so in defense
- But it sure caused an uproar in the council (cf Acts 23:6)
- 2 - Perhaps the I Cor 15 would have been Paul's further remarks, but they were never given!
FELIX INTERRPUTED PAUL WAITING FOR THE CHIEF CAPTAIN TO COME FROM JERUSALIEM (22-23)
- What does "having more perfect knowledge of that way" mean - many of Felix's household were saved.
- He wanted to hear all of the charge- but not about the Resurrection - some don't want it today
- Paul was placed under military arrest, with liberty - but always guarded by a Roman soldier
And so two years of an apostle's life was wasted - or was it? He witnessed, protected by a Roman soldier!
PAUL'S PERSONAL MESSAGE TO FELIX AND DRUSILLA - THE GOVERNOR AND HIS WIFE - LIKE JOHN THE BAPTIST
There is much concerning this imprisonment similar to John's imprisonment before Herod!
FELIX CAME WITH HIS WIFE DRUSILLA (24)
- What a combination- Felix - cruel, corrupt, incompetent- able to rule because of his brother in Rome who was a favorite of Caesar.
- Drusilla- with her third husband - from Herod's household - immoral but Jewish
- These two heard Paul concerning his faith in Christ - and what a message Paul must have given.
PAUL'S MESSAGE TO THESE TWO - (25) - PAUL REASONED WITH THEM
- Righteousness - practical obedience to the Laws of God - These two needed it - and we do, too
- Temperance - Control of the Physical appetites- by the Spirit - our affluent society needs it.
- Judgment to come - v.15 - resurrection of just and unjust - a corrupt Judge needed this- and so do all of us today!
A MORE CONVENIENT TIME?
- Felix never had it - he was carted away to Rome because of his incompetence - down hill.
- Drusilla also went down a lonesome trail - Josephus places their son - other historians seem to place her there too - a beautiful mountain city - Pompeii - 17 years later, Vesuvius.
- Some here might need to face the reality of Christ - will you have a more convenient time?
- World situation not good - Floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, war, famine
- Churches going down hill- Arizona Council Subsidiary - 1/4 million dollars - Judson Memorial Church NY - Nude dancers
- People's interests - Dog track, TV, but not the Lord
YOUR MOST CONVENIENT TIME TO ACCEPT CHRIST IS RIGHT NOW!
- So also is your most convenient time to be obedient in Baptism, Membership, Service, Etc.