Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
WHO CRUCIFIED CHRIST, JEWS OR GENTILES?
Just passing through this passage will tell you this
Mar 7, 1965 pm
PETER'S FIRST SERMON WAS TO THE STREET INDIVIDUALS* THIS ONE WAS TO THE PEOPLE GATHERED IN THE TEMPLE DURING THE HOUR OF PRAYER, OR TO THE RELIGIOUS
- The first sermon was to explain the gift of tongues and ministry of the Holy Spirit, 3,000 saved.
- This second sermon was to explain the miracle of healing of the man born lane- 5,000 saved.
FROM THEIR INTEREST IN A MIRACLE* PETER LED THEM TO SEE THEIR GUILT IN CRUCIFYING CHRIST (12-17)
IT TAKES MIRACLES TO ATTRACT ATTENTION* THEN AND TODAY (3:1-11, 12-16)
- Peter and John stopped on the way to prayer meeting to do a good deed-
- They did not have silver or gold-- so they healed the man- a real miracle- changed life
- A few real change lives would attract more attention today- too bad it is too rare!
PETER ASKED WHY THEY MARVELED AT THIS,* MORE MARVELOUS THINGS HAD HAPPENED IN THEIR MIDST.
- Peter explained what happened- corrected some mistaken impressions- and preached Jesus (12)
- This is only an outline- Peter started around 3 PM and preached until evening (4:3)
- It is not through our power or holiness-- pointing not to self- but to Jesus (12b)
PETER ACCUSED THEM OF DENYING AND KILLING THE PRINCE OF LIFE * (13-16)
- God glorified Jesus- you delivered Him up, and denied Him when Pilate would let Him go (13)
- You killed the Prince of Life- the Holy One, and Just- to double your guilt- God raised him (15)
- To double again your guilt- through His name this man is healed- (16)
Voltaire- French atheist- "If you want to start a new religion- just raise from the dead"
FROM THEIR GUILT IN CHRIST'S DEATH, PETER PREACHED TO THEM THEIR OPPORTUNITY (18-20)
IGNORANCE LED THEM TO DO WHAT THEY DID* AND PETER SAYS HE KNOWS IT (17-18)
- The people were ignorant- but ignorance of the law is no excuse-
- God had showed before through the prophets what Christ was to suffer-
- God fulfilled it through them- to their shame and hurt.
THEREFORE* REPENT AND BE CONVERTED THAT YOUR SINS MIGHT BE COVERED (19)
- Here is the solution to sin- no matter how hideous- repent- be converted-
- God is in the forgiving business- He wants to forgive us as wayward children-
- He has provided the way, but unless we repent and become converted, we can't be forgiven
THE PROMISE OF BLESSINGS FROM GOD IF WE WILL DO OUR PART (19b, 20)
- If we will believe- we will have the times of refreshing from the presence of the Lord-
- He will send a Jesus- before Peter had said- save yourself from this untoward nation- (2:40)
- Now Peter offers Christ to come back- the millennial Kingdom- offered to the nation
Instead they imprisoned Peter and John--- until times of restitution (21)
PETER TOLD OF GOD'S PROMISES BEING FULFILLED IN THEIR PRESENCE* (22-26)
MOSES PROPHESIED OF CHRIST* (22-23)
- Moses spoke of a great prophet that God would raise up- (Deut. 18:15, 18,19)
- They claimed to be students of Moses's law an writing- but they missed Jesus
- There was also a curse included with Moses's prophecy - Destruction for those who will not hear.
ALL THE PROPHETS FROM SAMUEL ON FORETOLD OF THESE THINGS* (24)
- Samuel- Judge- Priest- Prophet- and all the prophets since pointed to Christ-
- No, the Jews were without excuse, for they had their scriptures-- should have known
- 25- Ye are the ones- even promised through Abraham- to bless all the world
GOD SENT THE ANSWERS TO ALL THESE PROPHECIES TO YOU FIRST* TO BLESS YOU (26)
- This pointed them to the fact that they were the chosen generation
- God would turn them all from their iniquities- the same offer has been since then?
- Any generation could have claimed God's promise- but man has not!!!
- Now- we are the chosen generation to see the return of the Lord- will we muff it?
WHO WILL CRUCIFY CHRIST AFRESH IN THIS GENERATION? THE ONE WHO REJECTS HIM
- Refuse to accept Him as savior- then you crucify Him- accept Him now- repent, be converted.
- Refuse to accept His deliverance from power from sin- and you carry your own sin-
- Refuse to accept His restitution and He will come in wrath to the nation!