Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT - OR THE PENALTY FOR IMPROPER STEWARDSHIP
Feb 21, 1965 am
MEN NEED A NEW LOOK AT THE SCRIPTURE ON SEVERAL SUBJECTS INVOLVING DISCIPLINE
- Religious and civic laws today are not enforced fairly so people are confused what to do.
- In the confusion many people commit sins that lead to death, and crimes that they wouldn't otherwise.
- A good study of Sapphira and Ananias might help clear up a lot.
THE STORY OF CAPITAL PUNISHMENT IN THE EARLY CHURCH- ACTS 5:1-11
THEY SOLD A POSSESSION- WHAT WAS IT? HONEST LAND
- Many of the Christians were selling their property, and giving it to the disciples perhaps preparing to go into all the world.
- These two sold "a" possession- not all, - perhaps only halfway surrendered to the Lord.
- They gave only part- not all - and this was by mutual agreement- it was their own -
THEY LIED UNTO GOD ABOUT THEIR GIFT TO THE APOSTLES - They lied to the apostles, not to the IRS.
- By private agreement, they only brought part of the gift - Collusion.
- Also by agreement they lied about the amount they received, so that they could keep part.
- If all who lied to the preacher were dead, we would have a big funeral- this was to God.
THEY DIED BECAUSE OF THEIR LIE TO GOD
- When Ananias was told of his guilt- he died. Was Peter unjustly judging him? They buried him.
- Sephirah was given a chance to tell the truth, but didn't- she also died-
- The apostles that were used of God in this death later were used to bring life.
It was for sure that verse 11 was true! Today's Christian fears nothing from church discipline.
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT- WHAT DOES THE BIBLE ACTUALLY SAY ABOUT IT?
TODAY MANY PEOPLE FOLLOW EMOTIONALISM AND IDEALISM TO PACIFISM AND DESTRUCTION OF POWERS INSTITUTED OF GOD
- Some today seem to worship physical existence- ban the bomb, justice, better red than dead- etc.
- But all men die, and there is life after death- in fact a judgment-God is the judge-Hebrews 9:27
- The fact of death is unimportant- how and why are important! It leads to highest court.
CIVIL AND CHURCH GOVERNMENT IS INSTITUTED OF GOD- DO YOU BELIEVE THIS?
- Genesis 9:6 declares that whoso sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed- who decides?
- Exodus 21:11 declares death penalty for manslaughter. Exodus 32:27 God sends men to execute judgment
- Civil government bears a sword- Romans 13:4, and church should judge with authority- I Corinthians 5:5
GOD'S LAW IS SETTLED, BUT WHO MAKES THE JUDGMENT, WHO CARRIES OUT THE DECISION?
- Second chronicles 19:6 tells the civil judges that they judge for the Lord- if they don't- fire them.
- I Corinthians 6:1-8 tells that the church should settle matters of judgment within itself-family feud
- Where we abandon God's way, all of us suffer injustice; in the church- and in society
Would you like to live where there are no policemen? No judges? No hangman?
STEWARDSHIP- WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT THIS? THE REAL MESSAGE FOR TONIGHT.
Malachi 3: 8-12 here is the summary of Old Testament and New Testament laws on stewardship
WHAT ABOUT THE TITHE? HOW MUCH SHOULD IT BE? 10%? 15%? OR WHAT?
- Levitical law says a 10th, and even before that- Abram in Genesis 14:20- do this from youth up.
- Exodus 23:19 speaks of first fruits- 1/60 or 12/3% as a thank offering to the temple.
- Deuteronomy 14:28,29- the third year tithe- for the poor, kept at home for the needy.
SPECIAL OFFERINGS WERE A PART OF THE CHURCH PROGRAM
- The entire book of II Corinthians- the offering for Jerusalem saints- scan 8:1-9:11
- The first thing- 8:5- give yourself, determined beforehand, sow bountifully, etc.
- The same principles apply today. What you give you keep, what you spend you lose.
SPECIAL SACRIFICES ARE SOMETIMES CALLED FOR TODAY, TOO.
- Acts 4:35 had a very special reason- and that not communism- gospel to all the world quickly.
- There may be special emergencies today- you are the owner- do as you feel in your heart-
- But the loss of a new car, some material wealth, won't hurt most of us.
WILL YOU OBEY GOD AS THOUGH HUMAN DISCIPLINE WERE AT THE SAME AS IT WAS THEN?
- Would you be faithful in stewardship, attendance, service, if the preacher could strike you dead?
- What about accepting Christ as Savior? Being baptized? Church membership?
- If you will discipline yourself, judge yourself, and do right, you will be glad when you appear before God's judgment seat- if you will judge yourself, you will not be judged!