Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
WHEN THE TREASURER OF ETHIOPIA STRUCK IT RICH
May 16, 1965 am
Today and next Sunday - especially for graduates and licensees.
Here is another great adventure in Acts - excitement of Christianity!
GOD HAS ARRANGED FOR AN EXCITING, FRUITFUL LIFE FOR US, IF WE WILL SEEK IT!
- Anytime a person seeks God, God will arrange to be found-
- Anytime a person seeks to serve God, God will arrange for work to do-
- If we are sensitive to God's arrangements we will have an exciting life and real joy.
A DIVINELY ARRANGED CONTACT
Some people are too much afraid to allow God to guide their footsteps
PHILIP WAS SEEKING TO SERVE THE LORD (26) Named a deacon in Acts 6:5, scattered - 8:1,4
- Philip had been in a real revival in Samaria - (8:5-8) faithful to preach and God honored.
- God called him to go to the south. (8:26) Would he stay in the Revival, or be obedient?
- Duty demands obedience, not sitting, soaking up blessings - he went - we need DUTY and obedience today
THE ETHIOPIAN EUNICH WAS SEEKING TO FIND GOD (27) A man of great power and wealth - not satisfied
- He had been to Jerusalem to worship - (27) Heathenism does not satisfy the soul - nor wealth.
- He was seeking God through what he knew - Septuagint Bible of Northern Africa - and worship.
- Seeking God involves duty to the right direction- and we need such to seek God today.
GOD BROUGHT THESE TWO MEN TOGETHER (28, 29) God will give men what they seek!
- Philip's obedience brought him - and it may have been a long walk - Are you faithful enough to make it?
- The Ethiopian's persistence brought him - still seeking while riding - Have you wasted God - seeking time?
- The Spirit said - Go near, and join thyself to this chariot (29) - God's leadership is not always this plain, but in important things it is!
A DIVINELY ARRANGED CONVERSATION
Some people are too much afraid to allow God to guide a conversation
THE RIGHT QUESTION WAS ASKED BY PHILIP
- As Philip was obedient to one "go near," God provided help for the next one - "and join."
- The lowly one who walked asked the one who rode - "understandest thou what thou readest?"
- He received an invitation to ride, and to explain - God will guide you- if you will ask!
THE RIGHT QUESTION WAS ASKED BY THE EUNICH
- (34) The Eunuch was not dumb, but his question was not hard - Who - to Isa 53.
- Here is a passage that describes our Lord's humiliation and death - (32, 33)
- Questions people have need to be asked, but too often we do not give them a chance.
THE RIGHT ANSWER WAS GIVEN - Begin anywhere and preach Jesus (35)
- The entire Bible was written to show us Jesus Christ, and how to be saved and live like it.
- Those who would be evangelists imagine every kind of problem, but what hard question here?
- Jesus Christ is the answer to America's need, but who will answer the questions? YOU?
A DIVINELY ARRANGED TREASURE FOUND BY BOTH PHILLIP AND THE ETHIOPIAN
If we will allow it, God will arrange for us to find the treasure our life seeks!
THE ETHIOPIAN FOUND CHRIST - THE GREATEST OF ALL TREASURES - He was converted and Baptized!
- The Object of Worship - the Lord Jesus Christ - what his soul was longing for.
- The Key to the Scriptures - The Lord Jesus Christ - what his intellect sought.
- The Purpose for life - The Lord Jesus Christ - the childless man fathered millions in faith.
PHILIP FOUND A THRILL NEVER BEFORE EXPERIENCED IN SERVING JESUS
- He led a soul to Jesus, Baptized him, thrusted him in God's care - became grandfather to the Coptic Church.
- There is much puzzlement about v.39 - you figure it out - a non-scheduled flight!
- Some might argue about v.37 - but the formula of belief opens to life and joy.
BOTH MEN STRUCK IT RICH IN THE DESERT, AND THE GOLD THEY FOUND WAS ETERNAL
- The Eunuch found the Pearl of Great Price - so can you.
- Philip found the Joy of Serving Jesus - before crowds, or individuals - so can you.
- We can find this same treasure, if we will seek it!
THERE IS STILL ROOM IN THE WATER FOR TWO KINDS OF PEOPLE!
- If you need to be saved - come, confess Christ, and be Baptized.
- If you need to serve the Lord - come, get your feet wet in the service of the Lord.
- But whichever one you might be, you still have to be obedient to God's appointments.