Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
JEREMIAH, WEEPING PROPHET
Apr. 19, 1969 am
DOES JEREMIAH, THE WEEPING PROPHET, HAVE A MESSAGE FOR OUR WILD, GAY AGE?
- There is no more colorful figure in the Bible, none with more recorded about his personality
- His world was split by three great powers, with Jerusalem in the middle, kings rise and fall-assassinations
- His name gave us "Jeremiad," but throughout his book he told people how to save themselves.
But they had the gay swingers, and the sober plotters- none listening to God!
I. THE BIOGRAPHY OF A MAN OF GOD
We have more information about this man than any other prophet - his life, his age, -not death
- Born to a priestly family in Anathoth (1:1) 3 miles northeast of Jerusalem, City of Answers- Refuge- east side of the Mount of Olives, overlooking Jordan
- Chosen of God before he was even born (1:5) God prepared him, even in his birth
- Called into God's service while quite young (1:6) older ones were not to stop this youth
- Began his ministry during revival under King Josiah (II Ch. 35:25) the last before captivity
- Served God under five kings - all deposed by foreign power, or assassinated, two were friendly to him
- Forbidden to marry - by order of God, as a sign (16:2) the terrible destruction coming
- His message never accepted but always rejected, plotted against (18:18), hated, mocked, imprisoned
- His message broke his heart, though others ignored him (9:1) the picture of a man out of age
- He wanted to resign, but he could not flee the call of God (20:9); a weak man, a strong message
- He told his people to to save themselves, only to have them refuse, call him traitor, disloyal
- Warned people not to go to Egypt, but they forced him to go with them (42:15)
- Stoned to death, after 40 years of faithfully declaring God's word, refusing to flee to safety in Babylon, the people he tried to save killed him in Egypt-stoned for preaching
II. THE PERSONALITY OF A MAN OF GOD
Like Hamlet - "The time is out of joint, O cursed spite, that ever I was born to set it right" Act 1 Scene 5
A. A SIMPLE PERSONALITY, HE SAW GOD, AND OBEYED GOD "AS A CHILD" - NEVER LOST HIS CHILDLIKE HEART
- He felt inadequate as a child, before God and man. He listened, argued with, obeyed God as a child
- As God commanded him, he acted out his sermons in living parables as God commanded -
- He knew no stranger, nor fear- preaching to kings, priests, the mob, foreign armies, openly
B. A SENSITIVE PERSONALITY, HE FELT PAIN, MISERY, TOLD GOD "I CANNOT SPEAK," YET HE DID
- He condemned all sinners in the land, yet felt his own weakness, so was not arrogant, brash
- At first he said "I cannot speak" 1:6, then "I will not" 20:5, but he did- weak, not disobedient
- Probably no other prophet so scared to apply God's word to his people
C. A STRONG PERSONALITY, AMAZINGLY STABLE AMID HIS FRUSTRATING CIRCUMSTANCES, HE GAVE GOD'S WORD
- His first sermon 7:1-15 in the temple, got him arrested. 26:8 preach to sinners- safe, but to saints? not so!
- He sent his servant with a scroll where he could not go- 36, when it was burned, another v.32
- He proclaimed Babylon as God's tool, 27, then bought land to show his trust
Like Luther at Worms "Here stand I, I can do no other"- Jeremiah never broke obedience to God
III. THE CALL OF THE MAN OF GOD
We need to understand more about God's call, for today God is seeking a man
A. THE CALL OF GOD RESTS ON GOD'S OWN COUNSEL AND HIS OWN WILL Rom 8:29
- Jeremiah was born into the Priesthood, we must be born again- John 3:3, but John 6:44
- The religious world would not have attracted nor inspired young Jeremiah, but God did!
- If you are going to be saved today, or have God work in your life- it must be done by God!
B. THE CALL OF GOD LEAVES INFIRMITIES TO KEEP ONE HUMBLE, BUT NOT TO STOP HIM (1:6,7)
- Jeremiah was raised with scholars, priests, prophets, students of Bible - not unlearned of Word
- But he was young, tender, sensitive, emotional, depressed, knew misery and dejection, rejection
- But even though he was a broken reed, whether God's word was tender or harsh- he delivered it
C. THE CALL OF GOD ALWAYS INCLUDES THE EMPOWERRING TO DO WHAT GOD WANTS DONE 1:9
- Though Jeremiah was lonely, not a part of his age or land, God spoke, and it came to pass
- Though he argued with God, 15:18, accused God of deceiving him 20:7 but God kept him going
- Though he lacked strength to keep from being taken to Egypt, he kept preaching God's word
We need people who will, in spite of their own weakness, believe God- Believe God will act
GOD IS STILL SPEAKING TO MANKIND, AND SEEKING PEOPLE TO BELIEVE HIM AND BE SAVED
- Do you know God? 9:23-24 glory not in wisdom or riches, but come to know God!
- Will you trust God enough during this age to obey Him in simple faith?
- This involves baptism, church membership, stewardship, faithful Bible study, and all.