Great Doctrines of the Bible
Theology: The Nature of God
by Pastor Wesley Darby
GREAT DOCTRINES OF THE BIBLE - THE NATURE OF GOD!
CAN WE KNOW THE NATURE OF GOD?
GOD IS A SPIRIT - The Answer to Materialism
John 4:24 - Samaritan woman asked Where? Jesus answered What! - Where becomes unimportant. We worship in Spirit - no place, form, limitation. And in Truth - not by false conceptions of men. John 1:18 - God is invisible - the Son declares Him
GOD HAS A PERSONALITY - The Answer to Pantheism. We can have a personal fellowship with God- Communion.
Personality exists where there is intelligence, mind, will, reason, individuality, self consciousness, and self-determination - Ex. 3:14 "I Am that I Am."
GOD HAS UNITY - The Answer to Polytheism. The three greatest "religions" in the world are Judaism, Christianity and Mohammedianism - all three have the Bible! Deut. 6:4- "The Lord our God is one Lord" I Tim. 2:5
GOD IS A TRINITY - The Answer to Unitarianism. There is a deep mystery, never completely analyzed nor understood, definitely taught in nature and the Bible.
- Plural names used of God- Elohim, etc.
- Personal pronouns used by God- "Us" - Gen 1:26
- Theophanies of the Old Testament - Gen 16,18
- Work of the Holy Spirit - Gen 1:2, Judges 6:34
- Baptism of Christ - Matt. 3:16,17
- Baptismal Formula - Matt. 28:19
- Apostolic Benediction - II Cor. 13:14
- Testimony of Christ - John 14:16
- The New Testament -
Father who is God - Rom. 1:7, John 1:18
Son who is God- Heb. 1:8, John 1:14,18
Spirit who is God - Acts 5:3,4; I Cor 2:9,10
- Simple, though incomplete picture from Paul's prayer in I Thess. 5:23 - If we are in the image of God, then He must in some sense also be Body-Soul-Spirit, and the Office of God the Son, Holy Ghost, and Father fits the 3-fold picture of complete being.
- When we pray - we commune with God the Father, with our hearts moved by God the Holy Ghost, and through the medium of God the Son.
It is Faith that opens the door - Heb. 11:6. God is infinite and no definition of ours can be complete - but HE LOVES ME! To believe Him opens my eyes and to love Him opens my heart.